Things that are cheaper to install without going through builder

Hopefully my plans will be approved one day, so I am planning on trying to save costs where I can. I know there are several things that are cheaper to install without going through the builder. Can anyone suggest some that i have missed?

• Interior Paint
  • Air conditioning (split systems in my case)
  • Data Cabling (if necessary)
  • Landscaping
  • Flooring
  • Skirting boards
  • Paving? (not sure about this)

Can anyone offer any advice on whether they organised some of their own trades, and how it went? Did it save you money? Was it easy? Would you do it again?

I have been personally recommended to organise the AC and painting myself as the savings were in the thousands. (I am an active person and can paint okay).

Get quotes for all of the above from your builder than shop around and see what you can find.

The trouble with organising yourself is that you often have to do it after handover and that might not be the best time to do that item.

ie painting before carpet goes in is great because you can make some mess. Painting after tiling and carpet done is a lot harder.

Landscaping, reticulation, driveway, paths. The only areas they have to tile are the wet areas so the kids and I had tiled bathroom, laundry, toilet for years, concrete slab for the rest with carpet off cuts.

depending on if you need finance, some lenders arent very keen on the bits and bobs progress payments, and the valuers can get a bit precious as well

ta
rolf

Back