Things that tradespeople do that REALLY upset you?

....B.O.....smelly shoes.....halitosis.....

nothing personal, just take a tub more often and wash those clothes before I spew..

Luckily most tradies I've dealt with have some personal hygiene but there some exceptions...they usually go by the nickname of hey stinky

Some random thoughts:

Don't assume you can use my vacuum to (pretend to) clean up the mess (ie brick dust from drilling). If you need one bring it with you.

Actually cleaning up the mess made.

If you insist on leaving rubbish, use the right bin (not the recycling bin).

Better still - take all rubbish with (specify it on the quote as an option at least).

No butts in and around the house.

Not treading all over the garden.

Turning up or calling back as promised.

Oh wow. Walking away now...

Ah yes - that gives me a few prompts that I didn't think of (being so spoilt by my own tradies)

Listening the the radio at full blast - use an ipod and plug if music is essential

Cigarette butts dropped on my lawn

Lunch leftovers and packaging - ah - left lying around

My likes:

- look neat. Doesn't cost a fortune to wear some King gee shorts and a polo shirt. I don't want to see my tradies wearing boardies and bum cracks - unless you are a brickie or hard work trade outside and then I'll give you lee way to wear cooler clothes.
- be polite
- be on time
- be clean in your work, ie tidy up after yourself
- be prepared - don't come with the wrong part and some half arsed excuse
- if you are working outside and need to come inside for something then leave your boots at the door.

If you are all those things then it's likely I will offer you a cuppa/cold drink and something yum if there is anything in the house.

As a trade myself I am glad to see most of peoples complaints don't apply to me.
I will note that if we don't train apprentices the shortages will get worse. They should be charged at a lessor rate and for most work do save time by being an extra set of hands. ie pulling cable down wall while you feed it in.

, they put a pair of apprentices on it who fit the thing
For the record that is completely illegal for apprentices to be working unsupervised. Even 4th year should have the sparky onsite at the minimum to check and sign off the work.

Personally my main pet hate is non-return calls/emails for quotes/work.
If your too busy don't ignore it, return the message and say not available for x weeks.

You knew this was coming...

plumber-t-shirt.jpg

My pet hate is a trademan with too much work takes on your job and completes it by piecemeal like they do every other job on their books. A prime example of this is tilers. Turn up and lay a row and then come back a few days later and do this until the owner gets heavy with them and they finish the job. If I wanted a job to be done slowly with constant mess I'd get a family member to do it.

My pet hate is a trademan with too much work takes on your job and completes it by piecemeal like they do every other job on their books. A prime example of this is tilers. Turn up and lay a row and then come back a few days later and do this until the owner gets heavy with them and they finish the job. If I wanted a job to be done slowly with constant mess I'd get a family member to do it.

I'm dealing with the exact problem right now. Layer here, set up there. Got heated enough that he's pushed back another job to get it done tomorrow.

On the other hand, found the best floor sander/polisher to date. Came out in the evening to quote, rang him up and was booked ASAP, turned up on time to the minute and did above and beyond what was requested and quoted.

He's definitely earned his position in my book of tradies.

Hows this, bricky building my ppor decides not to use the porta loo supplied so does number 2 in my billiard room floor behind the bar. Got rid of him OMG.

Macca

My number one pet hate with tradies is when they have their radios blaring. It's very inconsiderate to other neighbours.

I also, can't stand it when they bring their damn dogs with them. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore dogs but I don't want some tradie's dog cocking it's leg all over my house, barking, chasing the neighbour's cat, picking a fight with my dog and taking a dump on my lawn... or worse... my neighbour's lawn.

Some awesome market research feedback right there!!!

Good to see the tradies here are just as bad as the UK ;)

My pet hate being Ex Army is timekeeping and i have an old saying i harp on about all the time - "To be 5 minutes early is to be on time"

Trading Standards in the UK set up a scheme called www.checkatrade.com

Customers give feedback on any tradesman on a scoring system and this independant scheme manages the process to try and weed out the cowboys.

I have searched but can't find anything independantly run here in OZ?

I am looking at some applications that allow me to do something similar if no scheme exists, my guys will hand the customer their IPad at the end of the job and they will be able to give feedback there and then online with a scoring system.

I was planning to have my solicitor or an independant body audit the results good and bad for transparency.

Without going into detail and spoiling things it is fair to say that i have 99% of your concerns already covered in my business Mission and Values.

I will keep you all updated on progress of the company launch, i might even offer the community the opportunity to play with the test website and give feedback on the user experience as long as that doesn't create any issues with the mods?

Regards

ScottyB

Recently had a plasterer do some work for me. Standing in the hallway afterwards I had a chit chat about painting the work he'd done etc, paid him and he went outside to his van carrying his stuff while I ran off to answer the phone. Walked back to the hallway with the phone to see that he'd buggered off and hadn't given me an invoice!! Probably thought "beaudy, a cash job". Left a message on his voice mail requesting an invoice. No reply. Didn't answer his phone to me for the next 3 times I rang as now he had my number. Gave up after that of course, but not helpful if I make an insurance claim due to rain damage and need roof repair as well! Thank goodness I at least took 'before' pics - hopefully this will suffice.

Hi Olly,
Yes he actually did it on the concrete slab in the room , my building manager had to clean it and rang him never to come back I could not believe it.

Macca

Thinking about the website, I reckon it would be good if trades can also review clients. The website for airbnb is great model of this sort of thing.
It goes both ways - there are good and bad tradies, and good and bad clients.
On the odd occasion when I use a tradie at home, I reckon I'm a good client. I am very specific about what needs to be done. I offer them a coffee or something when they arrive and we have a quick chat about the job. I don't look over their shoulder, but I am never far away and can make decisions very quickly when needed. And I pay immediately - ideally cash at the end of the day.
A lot of the problems people have in dealing with tradies is down to poor communication - on both sides.

Back