Think exponentially.

I am enthralled by science and the future. For most of my adult life I've devoured books and lectures on these subjects and the innumerable conversations I've had are among the most enjoyable of my life.

One of the most interesting things to me is how easily human beings fail to model, predict and understand exponential growth and its implications--and how easily we adapt to deceptive improvements and changes rather than having our minds blown constantly. It's almost as amazing to me as how little most people are aware of the progress of science, technology and medicine in general.

Peter Diamandis delivered a 30 min talk last year which brilliantly covers how exponential progress applies to the world today and businesses of the future.

https://youtu.be/HvLFoMNzD_k

Here's a few stills:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thanks for the great video! Very cool.

Two things that really stood out to me are:

-the fact that there is going to be 3 billion odd extra people connected to the Internet and it's available resources in the next decade.

-and the impact this will have on existing business. I.e. Opportunities to generate more business but also the fact that talented people rather than stay in an employed role are going to head down the entrepreneur path leading to far greater competition and need for constant innovation for existing businesses to stay relevant.

Yes, when I get people from OS enquiring about my Airbnb pad and asking about the internet, I explain that it's a bit like the second world here. Not as bad as the third world, but definitely not first world.
A few times I have had people tell me they are coming to Sydney for a month or two for work and they will need a good internet connection. I turn them away.

Yes, when I get people from OS enquiring about my Airbnb pad and asking about the internet, I explain that it's a bit like the second world here. Not as bad as the third world, but definitely not first world.
A few times I have had people tell me they are coming to Sydney for a month or two for work and they will need a good internet connection. I turn them away.

I assume you guys don't have NBN yet? We have it at our place and it's fantastic.

No NBN at home (inner west) - and not much prospect now with the brakes put on the NBN.

Our office is in the city - 10 year old building right near TownHall. Recently we had Telstra in here talking about a new phone system and other stuff. We mentioned that the internet usually has a bit of a rest in the afternoon around 4pm. They nodded, knowingly. Our building has 4 floors of commercial, and then 20 floors of residential. They said the 4pm ish internet slowdown is common and caused by lots of students getting home and jumping on the internet. We might have to be the ones who bite the bullet and get fibre into the building.

No NBN at home (inner west) - and not much prospect now with the brakes put on the NBN.

Our office is in the city - 10 year old building right near TownHall. Recently we had Telstra in here talking about a new phone system and other stuff. We mentioned that the internet usually has a bit of a rest in the afternoon around 4pm. They nodded, knowingly. Our building has 4 floors of commercial, and then 20 floors of residential. They said the 4pm ish internet slowdown is common and caused by lots of students getting home and jumping on the internet. We might have to be the ones who bite the bullet and get fibre into the building.

Very interesting to me that you mention students causing a slow down, where I live there is one phone pipe in to the peninsula, it is common for our ADSL to slow down around 8.30 to 9.00 in the morning.

I have queried the recurring problem with my ISP and suggested that all the schools in the area would be turning on their wifi at the same time as all the kids are using their phones one last time before class.

Why don't they increase bandwidth with Telstra for that time, "No, No, that couldn't be it !

Judging by the silence and the stumble when I suggested the cause it was very close to the truth.

We might have to be the ones who bite the bullet and get fibre into the building.

Contact one of the fibre carriers - if you want gold plated & bullock proof ;) go with the national carrier (ooops not Qantas), otherwise look to Pipe Networks, AAPT, Firstpath, Amcom etc who are all looking for more cbd buildings to service.

. It's almost as amazing to me as how little most people are aware of the progress of science, technology and medicine in general.

There are some things that it's also amazing what's not happened. Like the concord supersonic jetliner? People could fly at twice the speed of sound 40 years ago from London to New York. Not possible today. What about space flight? Soon every man who walked on the moon will be dead of old age. Bit sad really? I expected 2001 to be like the movie when I was a kid.

See ya's.

getting the NBN in a few weeks or months. NBN Co are very vague in their timings. Can't come soon enough.

Lived in one of the first streets to get the NBN in WA. It was made available a week after I moved down the road. Lived in that place for about a year, it got the NBN a week after I moved from there. Damn thing is chasing me, will catch me sooner or later I hope.

Last edited:
The implications of Elon Musk's recent electricity storage break-through for existing Energy providers is going to be profound. Imagine that these providers will need to retain their existing networks, but all of a sudden customers will not need to purchase energy from them.

They have had the past 20+ years to prepare.

Between the launch of long storage power batteries - and the blade-less turbine that work more efficiently when grouped together - exciting times.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/16/8...s-wind-turbines-shake-to-generate-electricity

Combine that with the solar roof paint/gas reserves/oil reserves and there is no reason why Australia can't be completely power independent.

As for the internet ... I'm still struggling on a wi-fi prepaid toggle as Telstra can't seem to connect the landline that has a fault in it ... and being rural we would get minimum internet options anyhow ... then add on the flood of tourists coming into the area every Friday night and using their mobile uploads ... the whole system basically grinds to a halt over the weekend.

Just gotta be a noisy wheel

Back