Thinking about buying a spa ..recommendations

Had the pool... too much work for me for the amount of use.

But I really miss a spash when it's hot and humid to cool off.
So ...I'm thinkig of getting a spa. Been quoted $9,500 for a 5 person. Seems to be a good option, less work, all year round use. These days I am only catering to adults. I'm told costs aside from chlorine is approx .75 a day in power?

Worth it?

Anyone got comments, good bad or disasterous!

HI there
we have had a Duraspa for about 6 years - which can accommodate 4 people - it cost around the $4k mark when purchased.
We have had some ongoing problems with spa pumps recently - which fortunately have been able to be fixed by my husband.
When you look at the options - make sure it is a product that can easily be serviced and parts are easily obtained.
We are actually using bromide tablets for the spa - and it takes some time to go through a container of the product.
It only needs to go on once a day to circulate and heat the water - so we do consider it a better option than a pool.
We also have a water tank to provide the replacement water for the spa - so are not using town water for it at all and when emptying the spa use it in conjunction with a karcher to do some cleaning of the outside patio area - so it is multi purpose.
thanks

Had the pool... too much work for me for the amount of use.

But I really miss a spash when it's hot and humid to cool off.
So ...I'm thinkig of getting a spa. Been quoted $9,500 for a 5 person. Seems to be a good option, less work, all year round use. These days I am only catering to adults. I'm told costs aside from chlorine is approx .75 a day in power?

Worth it?

Anyone got comments, good bad or disasterous!

Why do you want to sit in an oversized bath of bubbling body oils and fat?

Even worse if they are heated.

My thoughts on spas …

Joe D

I am with Joe D,
what a waste of good money, about $8,000 this is what we spent, not to mention the extra required.

Don't do it.

Hey thanks for the comments even if the bad outway the good.
:D Tried to find this thread this morning and in my hurry couldn't see it for looking, sorry about the reply delay.

I'm still thinking about it, more than likely will jump in and do it. :cool:
Liivng in the tropics, the humidity drives me insane at times.

I'd NEVER get another pool but on a hot day when I see one looking so coool, I have a pang or two of .. how nice it would be, if only ....

Thanks guys

I love my spa:D - We have a 5 person Lanark with 2 motors and we use Ozone (so no chlorine smell), sits on a deck for easy access to pump/motors. We haven't had too much trouble with ours over the years.

Just a little tip tho - we thought our pump had died, spa shop guys agreed and said we would definately need a new one........had it assessed by our insurance guys (as we thought that it was fried during an electrical storm). Turns out it wasn't fried at all.......it was a $70 solinoid on the motor.

Don't just take it from the Spa Shop guys - most of them wouldn't have a clue, get a proper spa tech in.

sq

on the subject of the pools, we had ours completed about a month ago and that has been the best chunk of cash I have ever forked out. My kids love it and so do I and with infloor cleaning there is virtually NO MAINTENANCE, it is unbelievable. All I have had to do is pull some leaves out of a filter once a fortnight. Expensive but a great investment in lifestyle, dont know if its added much value to the house.
cheers
pieman

Hi Novar,

Go for it and buy one. I brought one for my old place out of the trading post for $1250.00. I didnt want it but the wife really did. Plumbed it all in myself so only cost a few hundred, and went well with the new pergola I was building. From someone who didnt want one after a couple of uses you couldnt keep me out. Unfortunately I sold that house with the spa and only 10 mins ago was planning where a spa would go in our new house with my wife.

The best things about owning a spa is coming home from work on a friday in the middle of winter (adelaide) dragging the TV out under the pergola and sitting in 37 degree bubbles drinking beer wathcing the AFL when it is under 10 degrees outside....

BTW: the spa taked very little maintenance.

Ian

Oh great ....that's good to hear ... some people are happy.:D Phew ... I was worried I was making a big mistake.
I actually went and took the plunge ;) and bought one. It runs on normal power so no wiring required and up and running in 2 hrs. Portable, so able to take it with us if my 'have to move again bug strikes" !!
Very happy so far ... been raining here for 48 hrs so nice to sit out there in the spa and watch the rain. Winter will be interesting.

http://www.hotspring.co.nz/Showroom/index_spa_showroom.html
I bought 'blue lagoon' at the bottom of the page.

Thanks all

Back