Thinking of writing a book

Hi chaps,

Was strolling through the financial section of the bookshops last week and noticed a plethora of books on budgeting and paying down your mortgage and a veritable array of books about shares and residential housing.

Nothing seemed to be available for what I invest in, namely non-residential direct property investments.

A few people have asked before if it was possible to put down some of our experiences, which I'd be happy to do....but I'm held back by the thought of sprouting off when there are far more experienced and "big fish" in this pond that we swim in.

I've found they are a very tight lipped bunch, with little to no lessons forthcoming, even when using a crow bar.

It would be the nitty gritty of how we sourced / negotiated / financed and renovated the props and then attracted the tenants, including leasing tricks. None of this high level "now this is how to do a budget, and if you take your lunch to work you could save $ 2,500 per year".

Would anyone be interested in this ??

Hi Daz,

Sounds a terriffic idea mate. Like you mention I also think there is a gap in the market for this type of information.

Put me down for the 1st author signed copy hot off the press after yourself :)

Bring it on...

YES, YES, YES!

There is a severe lack of practical information on commercial property investing in Australia.

I have bought books via Amazon from authors in the UK and USA, there are many books overseas, but almost none for the Australian market, apart from the one by Chris Lang and Martin Roth.

There is very little internet forum discussion too on commercial property investing, whereas the UK and USA have several forums with high activity specifically discussing commercial property.

Thanks,

GSJ

yes please - don't forget to include small examples for us small investors! :eek:

i was looking at developing a cafe/beauty shop corner in an up and coming suburb - but had no idea how to start structurely and financially (not to mention every other way).

something to read, and re-read, would be fantastic.

hi dazzling
I'd like a copy
put me down for the don't forget to include small examples for us small investors.
I look forward to it
make sure you do an electronic version.

Hi

I love the idea and would also been keen to buy a couple of copies (preferably signed, of course:D )

Go for it, mate

Dale

Dazzling, I think the book would work
as long as it fulfills the primary requirements..

OK, so it seems like there is a tad of interest out there in investor land.

The trouble is I suppose, we are a very small bunch indeed in terms of the larger population. No point putting something together that would entail a bunch of work (especially when I have no idea of the real processes involved with churning one of these out) when the target audience may be as small as a few hundred or maybe a thousand people....who knows.

And what exactly would it be that you would want to read. I constantly hear that the fin. authors gloss over the nitty gritty and that's where all of the real lessons are for first time investors.

Of course, I could present the manuscript to 5 or 6 publishers who could all collectively say this is complete garbage and no-one "out there" is going to be interested in this nonsense. When you have to compete against the essentials like Mills and Boon, it might be tough.

I could generalise about industrial areas and the high level fundamentals, or recount the exact step by step ups and downs and really get specific.

What exactly does everyone want to know.....other than how to buy properties that grow in value and spin off large amounts of cash ??

Signed copies.....OK OK, we'll cross that distant bridge if it ever shows up.

Title suggestions ?? I'm thinking something like....The nitty gritty of Industrial real estate. Whaddayareckon ??

Collected volume?

Dazzling - you could think about a collected volume of case studies or a handbook, with you as editor. Once you convinced one prominent investor or developer to contribute, I bet others would join up. You could get someone even more prominent (I'm being vague here as I know a little about books and nothing about commercial property) to write a foreword. Maybe if there's something similar in the residential property world, you could approach the publisher and pitch the idea to them.

Renton's book covers most areas of commercial investing, however it is quite a dry look at the subject area.

Perhaps as you suggested an experiences based book would be more successful.

To borrow from a proven marketing concept - Rich Commercial Investor/Poor Residential Investor? ;)

Slightly tongue in cheek, however I think if your book explained the complexities and/or differences between resi and commercial maybe as seen from an initially resi perspective then this would give most readers a ready frame of reference. (Especially since you have experience in both.)

Good luck - maybe talk to PS regarding who he recommends you pitch to.

Regards
A

Maybe DaleGG could offer some suggestions in regard to what is required in putting a book together as he has been down this path.

I would read the book, as i know very little about commercial property except for what i have read in API.

As for what it would say, well your guess would be better than most since you have been down the path. Maybe, think about yourself before you went down the commercial path and what you would have liked to know upfront before you jumped in. Following that, what would have been nice to know while you were doing to avoid costly mistakes.

I would be interested. Can I also suggest, if you didn't want to go through a maintstream publisher you could always write an "E-Book" and charge a nominal amount for a download. This book would be more directed an non first time investors.

There are plenty of IT people on the forum that I'm sure are happy to assist from a technical point of view.

Maybe DaleGG could offer some suggestions in regard to what is required in putting a book together as he has been down this path.

I would read the book, as i know very little about commercial property except for what i have read in API.

As for what it would say, well your guess would be better than most since you have been down the path. Maybe, think about yourself before you went down the commercial path and what you would have liked to know upfront before you jumped in. Following that, what would have been nice to know while you were doing to avoid costly mistakes.

Exactly, great points;

You could go down the path DaleGG has or go "commercial" in regards to publishing and look at what Jan Sommers, Michael Yardney or Kieran Trass has done.....would you have to approach publishers and as you say; how big is your Market and is the interest (at this stage) :confused:

I'd say there's a market right here at the moment Dazzling and you can be assured of support from the majority of members here I'm sure.

You can also sign off each chapter "ker-ching" ;)

Put me down for a signed copy mate

Righto, I'll sit down and bash out a contents page....and then flesh it out from there.

Any suggestions you wish to make are more than welcome.

Back