Thirroul, Austinmer, Wow!

Was just having a look around the South Coast of NSW and noticed that Thirroul, Austinmer and other areas have become very up-market. When did that happen?
I remember visiting two great uncles in Thirroul. They had a goat and played cards with their mates. They lived and died there and it was a quiet little place with a terribly dangerous road.
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as a lot of people would have gone looking for the Sydney escape years ago.
Is anyone able to suggest some areas around Wollongong and north of there that are still 'cheap'? Is the idea to go further west or south?

Gee, I grew up in Wombarra. Thirroul & Austinmer have been trendy for a long time now. In fact, there's a lot of very unique (and expensive) properties all along the escarpment there.

If your looking for 'cheap' you could try Cringilla & Port Kembla and surrounds. There's some really dodgy Real Estate around there.

Is anyone able to suggest some areas around Wollongong and north of there that are still 'cheap'? Is the idea to go further west or south?

What's your definition of cheap? Are you looking for an investment or PPOR?

From Thirroul up to Stanwell Tops, the median prices are the highest within the Illawarra. Considering that the lifestyle is fantastic, low crowds, and close to Sydney, it's certainly a desirable part of the coast which has been discovered many years ago.

alexm:What's your definition of cheap?
Well I just put $300K as my max into the search. I did find a few. It would be both PPOR and investment.

skater: There's some really dodgy Real Estate around there.
haha yes, that seems to be my price bracket. May consider Dapto too. If I'm going to live there, I need space for 2 dogs and 2 cats!

Some of the apartments around the area look ok actually - pretty nice views.

ricflair: the new coast road bridge opened
tbh, I wasn't aware of this. Inevitable, really.

Thanks for the info everyone. Just looking, anyway. (Would probably rent first if I moved there.)

Gee, I grew up in Wombarra. Thirroul & Austinmer have been trendy for a long time now. In fact, there's a lot of very unique (and expensive) properties all along the escarpment there.

If your looking for 'cheap' you could try Cringilla & Port Kembla and surrounds. There's some really dodgy Real Estate around there.

Yep I was just inspecting some in Austi on Friday. What the client really wants is in Stanwell park and worth over 1m.

Basically the prices drop a little from Austi into Thirroul, then a little more as you head down towards the gong. Bellambi has ex hc and is the cheapest of the North gong suburbs but still there is almost nothing around 300k anyware Northside. I don't like cringila, or port Kembla or even warrawong really as they are so close to the steelworks. I have been buying in Warilla and surrounds quite a bit for the last 6 months. Not many houses left around 300k but a few. Plenty mid to high 3's depending on what your expectations are. In my view good value given yeilds are a little higher than the rest of gong and vacanct rates tight. Located away from steelworks and locked in between the lake and the sea. Be careful there is bad streets ex hc and also flood areas in there so you have to know where to go. That's my 2c on that part of town.

Yep I was just inspecting some in Austi on Friday. What the client really wants is in Stanwell park and worth over 1m.

Basically the prices drop a little from Austi into Thirroul, then a little more as you head down towards the gong. Bellambi has ex hc and is the cheapest of the North gong suburbs but still there is almost nothing around 300k anyware Northside. I don't like cringila, or port Kembla or even warrawong really as they are so close to the steelworks. I have been buying in Warilla and surrounds quite a bit for the last 6 months. Not many houses left around 300k but a few. Plenty mid to high 3's depending on what your expectations are. In my view good value given yeilds are a little higher than the rest of gong and vacanct rates tight. Located away from steelworks and locked in between the lake and the sea. Be careful there is bad streets ex hc and also flood areas in there so you have to know where to go. That's my 2c on that part of town.

Great info, thanks knightm.

Well I just put $300K as my max into the search ..... that seems to be my price bracket. May consider Dapto too. If I'm going to live there, I need space for 2 dogs and 2 cats!

As its my suburb (Horsley) I think you can cross most of Postcode 2530 (Dapto & surrounds) off your list but occasionally a few do pop up but usually either in some state of disrepair or in a not so good area (Koonawarra).

As for up north, I use to go out with a young lady back in the late 80's who lived in with her parents in Stanwell Park and it was expensive then compared to the south parts of the Illawarra so its not a recent phenomenon.

My sister moved to the same suburb about 2 years ago from the Shire and they didn't get any change from 7 figures.

A mate bought in Coalcliff (Paterson Rd) in the early 90's when the coke ovens were still and its was sub $300'Ks but now it a trendy place to live as the ovens have closed, the bridge is open and being absolute water frontage above the ocean pool he reckons close to $2mil (but unfortunately he now has the council rates to justify this price range which is x4 mine in the same council).

womble66, i'm not trying to hijack this thread however i'd be interested to hear your opinion regarding Horsley? There's allot of new development going on there and the prices have increased substantially.

Hi Wattyl,
I spent my first 25 yrs of life in Thirroul and now reside in Woonona (2 suburbs south)
Awesome place to live/ grow up though a lot busier now.
The mountains meet the ocean at Stanwell Park and move slowly west as you head south, therefore, there is more land as you head south, hence supply grows and prices drop.
You can't go west from this area( northern suburbs like Thirroul and Austi)unless you're a mountain goat.
North( toward Sydney ) equals more expensive
South equals cheaper (some exceptions) too much to write here but more than happy to elaborate via P.M.
You will find though, a lot of people born and bred in the area have an elitist attitude and will talk down areas south so be careful what you read / hear as a lot of opinions are tainted with this attitude.
West Dapto at the moment is still stretching west, therefore supply keeps prices modest compared to the north but the rental yield is quite strong down there with the main or old area is seeing a lot of revamping and a change of demographic...and good old Bellambi, the butt of all northerners jokes, is thick with housing commission homes ( more so beachside ) but has seen massive gains because if you are from up north and want to stay in the area but can't compete with the cashed up city folk, you have no choice but to push south and its definately seeing a boost with a heap of older homes being renovated.
Prices have gone crazy up north due to the influx of Sydney siders selling up for a fortune and dumping a heap of cash down here with change leftover.
I do enjoy the lifestyle the city folk have brought with them( cafes , organic food and knitted jumpers for dogs etc :p)but not too keen on the beer prices that come with it..
People go to the Goldy for the beaches but honestly, they have nothing on ours.
We're definately Feeling the heat of the Sydney market and as an owner, keep it coming!!!:D
Houses are going for around 10% above asking price! This may be because of sneaky agents low balling the trusting public ( surely not!! )
Some say over heated and it can't continue but for now, it does

Last edited:
Agreed..The drive to the city is quite good.
110km/h for a majority of the way and you can get there quicker than you would from Bondi some days!
The commute will also save you 50%+ on comparable properties!:eek:

It would take around an hour and a half each way wouldn't it? So 15 hours in your car a week?

It would take around an hour and a half each way wouldn't it? So 15 hours in your car a week?

university on wheels.........................

In my early days of my business I used to do 60 k plus a year.

I learnt a lot ( and still do) from the likes of Nancy Dornan, Tony Robbins, Brian Tracy, Jim Rohn, John Maxwell, Dennis Waitley and the many thousands of others who have provided food for the mind and soul on audio.

what some may consider a downside can often by made an upside

ta
rolf

Hi Sanj,
To the city proper,
Weekdays you would be about right.
Weekends, take about a third off.
But there must be a reason why people are trading commute time for the lifestyle of the Illawarra. Plus ur only 4.5 hours to the snow!! Yew!:cool:
A lot of people take the train. Thirroul being the major station around here.
I have heard of people in WA Saying a 40 min commute to Perth is outrageous.
We would kill for that over here!
Lookin forward to seeing your fine city mid 2015!!

Back