This a good book to read?

Same here.....1992 I read her first book - Building Wealth through Residential Investment Property, after seeing her being interviewed on a morning TV show promoting her new book.

After reading, it inspired me to go out & buy my first property in 1993, the following year.

Did nothing the following 7 years due to lack of equity.

In 2000, leveraged against the equity and actively started building our portfolio.

Over the following decade basically purchased a property per year. Some years none, other years purchased two.

Today we have built a multi $million residential property portfolio spread across Australia.

Jan Somers and her book/s are the catylist to where we find our selves today.

Similar story, saw her interview, read the book, did nothing for many years, just bought PPOR, did not invest until 2000 because believed other media/press on low inflation no doubling etc... Then PPOR doubled re-read the book, purchased other books and made the move in 2000....
Now like you have $million property portfolio and still have her book!:)

i just got the story by story one at the Library today. picked up a few others aswell, one by margret lomas. Ill try and report back if there any good.

It easier to refer to the section in a book sitting at arms length in your book shelf than a shelf down in the local library.
These books are reference sources. You will have to go back to them now and again. So it is better to have your own collection.

Typically a book will cost below $30. That is less than what you pay for takeaway food or movie tickets for two.

Thats also why its a good idea to know that there are books in a Library. You can spot the dud ones and not buy them. Only buy the good ones to use as reference. Thats the smart way to go about it anyway.

i just got the story by story one at the Library today. picked up a few others aswell, one by margret lomas. Ill try and report back if there any good.

Thats also why its a good idea to know that there are books in a Library. You can spot the dud ones and not buy them. Only buy the good ones to use as reference. Thats the smart way to go about it anyway.

I suppose it may be depending upon if the library stocks all books published plus how long it takes for them to get it onto their shelves and its available and not loaned out to someone else when you want it.

I reckon the library (or borrowing from friends) is a great way to learn and determine what books you ought to add to your own collection for future reference.

As Rixter mentioned though, it's also a finite resource. Lots of releases won't ever find their way on to the shelves.

I've actually found kindle samples to be great too. You're given a decent enough chunk of a book for free to assess whether it's worth buying, then, click, you own it.

Which one should I buy and read?

MORE WEALTH FROM RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY investment

OR

BUILDING WEALTH through property investment

Both of them. If you're wanting save money, hire them for the library or search at Vinnies for them.

For people who provide a forum such as this free of charge and free of advertising, their own advertising is extremely low key. You have to click on the Somersoft link below to get there.

They provide this as a way of giving back something which has helped them tremendously. They have resisted attempts to sell the forum as a potentially quite lucrative advertising site.
And I am sure that I'm not the only one who is grateful for this!

I do find it fascinating that someone could come across this forum and not realise that it is run (and funded) by the Somers. Very interesting how people find/come across this forum.

Agree. I take the train to work and it's the best way to spend the time. I believe books are cheaper with Kindle.

It is a great way to spend the time and generally, yeah, kindle books are notably more economical. Sometimes half or a third of the print edition.

Geoff raises a good point regarding the range of titles too. I wish I could have everything digitally. While aesthetically inferior, ebooks are functionally superior and I can carry 500 of them with me.

I've got 'More Wealth'. It was one of my first investment purchases, not long after 'The Richest Man in Babylon' and 'Think and Grow Rich'. I keep all of my books, regardless of their age. Exact details may change, but generally the principles don't change and the older the resource the more this shows.

While aesthetically inferior, ebooks are functionally superior and I can carry 500 of them with me.
I despise ebooks. I bought a Kindle, but have never been able to appreciate its limited usability. They may work for story books where you don't flick, but when I read I often want to flick back multiple pages to a particular point or something else. I can't do that with an ebook. I fully appreciate the ability to carry hundreds of books in the size of a booklet, but I generally read 1 to 2 books at a time so I am happy to carry the hard copy.

BR

I despise ebooks. I bought a Kindle, but have never been able to appreciate its limited usability. They may work for story books where you don't flick, but when I read I often want to flick back multiple pages to a particular point or something else. I can't do that with an ebook. I fully appreciate the ability to carry hundreds of books in the size of a booklet, but I generally read 1 to 2 books at a time so I am happy to carry the hard copy.

BR

Oh, you're talking about a kindle device. Huge price to pay for a 'unitasker'. I wouldn't buy one.

I have the kindle app (free) on my iPad, on which you can flick back and forth with ease. You can also highlight passages, add multiple bookmarks, search within the book for words or phrases, resize the text, change the font, invert the colours, bring up a list of all the highlighted passages or bookmarks you've made and instantly go to them.

My dad had this book laying around, was really dusty too lol, by Jan Somers called "Building Wealth through Investment Property", I believe it was printed around 20 years ago, is this book still valid and good for a beginner to read in 2014?

My dad had this book laying around, was really dusty too lol, by Jan Somers called "Building Wealth through Investment Property", I believe it was printed around 20 years ago, is this book still valid and good for a beginner to read in 2014?
Tony,

As mentioned throughout this thread, yes, it is still valid and a very good book for a beginner to read in 2014. The original book you were looking at is the updated version of the book you just mentioned.

BR

Back