This is a bit Rich

If you don't like it, don't take wine there. Pretty simple really.

If people pay it, they'll increase it to capitalise on it. If people don't pay it, they'll reduce it to a point where they will.

Makes perfect sense.
Next time we need to check on corkage fees prior to booking

Golden Palace, Francis Street
Its not high end, however caters for weddings, not sure if that has anything to do with it??

As it was a public holiday I now understand why $15, did not realise this, still a tad high I think, but perhaps because never ever paid more than $10.

Cannot blame you for going BYO. It does not help that this Chinese restaurant does not have a good wine list. I think you need to give them a tongue lashing on urbanspoon or yelp. Might teach them to moderate their charges.

Cannot blame you for going BYO. It does not help that this Chinese restaurant does not have a good wine list. I think you need to give them a tongue lashing on urbanspoon or yelp. Might teach them to moderate their charges.

Actually I had no clue about their corkage fees, I did not book and did not check.

However, what really ticks me off big time is the fact that the service was woeful and the food well I would give it a 2 out of 10. For this reason I wont be going back.

MTR:)

However, what really ticks me off big time is the fact that the service was woeful and the food well I would give it a 2 out of 10. For this reason I wont be going back.
Well, then, it was really a case of "insult on top of injury". :)

Actually dragon palace has a decent wine list for a chinese restaurant.nothing unusual or hard to come by but a decent range of favourites at various price points.

I don't know why they deserve a lashing for charging corkage, it would have been stated on their menu and ultimately they would still have been making less money on it than if you'd bought the wine from them.

By all means provide feedback if the food is bad but pepole who don't say anything to the proprietors at the time (oor after ) and only choose to vent online on urban spoon etc really confuse me. Seems counter productive.

Personally I'm not a big fan of dragon palace and dont go there often apart from 1 dish (they make a good lobster e-fu yee mein) I'd be genuinely surprised if they aren't making well into the 7 figures net a year so I guess they're doing something right.

Last edited:
$15 corkage is fair.

Going to Shiki on Thursday rang up about corkage $50. Looked at their wine menu the exact bottle of wine I wanted to bring is $260 on the menu, I purchased the bottle for $100. It's still cheaper for me to pay the $50.

Was also looking at Windy Point and asked about their corkage, $25.

$10-15 per bottle and I'm happy.

All of a sudden it makes sense to me why Australia has developed a food culture over the last decade and people build massive indoor / outdoor entertaining areas able to entertain lots of people.

Going to a restaurant has got so expensive for group functions!

Those prices are just insane! Mind you, I say this as a (very) rare, almost non drinker. I really don't like the taste of most wines, so I usually just drink water so I don't pay corkage at all.:p.

Those prices are just insane! Mind you, I say this as a (very) rare, almost non drinker. I really don't like the taste of most wines, so I usually just drink water so I don't pay corkage at all.:p.

Markup at most restuarants is 100% plus on wine. $10-15 corkage still be ahead on just about any bottle of wine.

Actually dragon palace has a decent wine list for a chinese restaurant.nothing unusual or hard to come by but a decent range of favourites at various price points.

I don't know why they deserve a lashing for charging corkage, it would have been stated on their menu and ultimately they would still have been making less money on it than if you'd bought the wine from them.

By all means provide feedback if the food is bad but pepole who don't say anything to the proprietors at the time (oor after ) and only choose to vent online on urban spoon etc really confuse me. Seems counter productive.

Personally I'm not a big fan of dragon palace and dont go there often apart from 1 dish (they make a good lobster e-fu yee mein) I'd be genuinely surprised if they aren't making well into the 7 figures net a year so I guess they're doing something right.

What I think they are doing right is targeting/catering for the wedding market. There were 2 on the go that evening. Mention the word "wedding" and the skys the limit, charge till the cows come home, and yes they will do very well.

Problem is suckers, oops I mean clients who expect decent service, good food miss out, if its a wedding night, tough luck we got 2. Wont be going back that's for sure.

I have never posted on Urban Spoon, vote with my feet and just don't go back.

What I think they are doing right is targeting/catering for the wedding market. There were 2 on the go that evening. Mention the word "wedding" and the skys the limit, charge till the cows come home, and yes they will do very well, I am not surprised.

Problem is suckers, oops I mean clients who expect decent service, good food miss out, if its a wedding night, tough luck.... we got 2. Wont be going back that's for sure.

I have never posted on Urban Spoon, but generally if I am booking I always like to check out the reviews don't know why most of the time I end up disappointed because the reviews don't reflect my experience. I wont post on Urban Spoon, unless something very nasty happened.

Let's keep this in perspective...

Instead of whinging about the cost of corkage; we should all think ourselves fortunate to be able to go restaurants that charge more than a decent bottle of bottleshop Chardy just to pull the top off one we bring along.

First world prob.

(We buy the "two for $15" wine deal at the local bottle shop etc, and stay home! :D)

The OP probably should have made it a "humble brag" thread....

"Jeez; we were lucky; found a restaurant the other night that only charges $15 for corkage...normally pay way more than that!" :D;)

(I have friends who are seriously like this. Well, not really friends - total wangers actually; just have to tolerate them now and again as part of other friends' get togethers :eek:)

Last edited:
Let's keep this in perspective...

Instead of whinging about the cost of corkage; we should all think ourselves fortunate to be able to go restaurants that charge more than a decent bottle of bottleshop Chardy just to pull the top off one we bring along.

First world prob.

(We buy the "two for $15" wine deal at the local bottle shop etc, and stay home! :D)

The OP probably should have made it a "humble brag" thread....

"Jeez; we were lucky; found a restaurant the other night that only charges $15 for corkage...normally pay way more than that!" :D;)

(I have friends who are seriously like this. Well, not really friends - total wangers actually; just have to tolerate them now and again as part of other friends' get togethers :eek:)

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...nts-full-of-worlds-worst-people-2014042986088

I'm easily pleased but something's things just rub me the wrong way.

I don't give a rats how good the food or the service is, if I'm getting ripped that's the last time I'm going there. :eek:

We went out for my mother's birthday last night and got hit with $15 for corkage per bottle:eek: 12 people, perhaps 6 bottles of wine?? $90 on corkage.

I think that is pretty rich, mum paid, nonetheless I think this price for corkage is way over the top.

I would perhaps think $2-$5 OK, but $15, give me a break.

Wow - that's more than I pay for a bottle of wine. Actually, I rarely pay over $7.50 a bottle for good quaffing plonk.

Makes me feel special then - a local restaurant we regularly frequent lets us BYO, even tho they have a "no BYO" policy ... and don't charge us corkage either. Top service - fabulous meals that we can never fault - so maybe going once every 6 weeks has it's advantage :D

We have a local 'cheap and cheerful' Chinese that we visit every week or so, and I don't think they've ever charged corkage.

Great food, a fun noisy atmosphere and big tables with room for lots of friends = fun times.

We went out for my mother's birthday last night and got hit with $15 for corkage per bottle:eek: 12 people, perhaps 6 bottles of wine?? $90 on corkage.

:eek: This is why I buy take-away and some plonk from the bottle-o and eat it in the comfort and privacy of my own lovely house.

Seriously, $15 is ridiculous. Nice profit for the owner though... for now. When people no longer eat there, and he has to close the business, he'll be blaming the 'high cost of wages, rent, etc' :rolleyes:

Back