This is a nightmare.

Hi everyone,

Everyone recalls the post I made on Damages for late completion. Well things are getting worse. We withheld the final progress payment, but the builder was kind enough to give us the keys to the house over Easter.
Hubby went to the house all excited about spending the night there.
About midnight he decided he wanted to have a Spa Bath, so he filled the spa bath to the top. As he was sitting in the Tub, he noticed water on the tiles.

I get a call 3 in the morning from a Distressed Hubby saying the water penetrated through the plaster and into the Bottom floor. The Floorboards are now saturated, the plaster in the lounge wrecked, and a bit of the carpet in the Main Bedroom.

I truly thought he was playing a practical joke on me.

We don't know why it happened, and now he is too scared to test the spa bath in the Other Bathroom.

What do we do Now??????

Marina.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

To paraphrase Charles Mackay - By the vile arts of stock-jobbers!
> From: "Marina L" <[email protected]>
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I truly thought he was playing a practical joke on me.
>
> We don't know why it happened, and now he is too scared to test the
spa
> bath in the Other Bathroom.
>
> What do we do Now??????

Get a QS in for proof of shoddy workmanship, and start talking to your
solicitor.

Jas

Reply: 1.1

Where are you? I have a great property solicitor involved in my (if you read the last post, 200k litigation) and if you are in Sydney I will give you their details. Sounds like fun, but STILL not anywhere near as bad as it could be!

Reply: 1.1.1

Hi,

I am in Melbourne. The Builder drove all the way from Anglesea on Good Friday to investigate the matter, and then called in the plumber.
Apparantely the spa hose was not connected properly. So first thing Tuesday they will work on it. The ceiling plaster in Lounge will have to be replaced, the carpet dryed and thank goodness the floorboards are fine.
The Other Spa bath has been tested and its perfect.

The worst thing is that a couple of days ago I paid $350 for a private building Inspector who had 20 years experience check the house out before handover.

Also we received the certificate of occupancy.

Doesn't anyone check the plumbing?

Marina.

Reply: 1.1.1.1

We had problems with storm water drains which blocked up , some months later when it started raining. Of course the builder blamed the landscaper , who blamed the builder. Unfortunately by this time the landscaper had laid pavers over the area which turned out to contain the break.

We also found that a light in the hallway which was meant to be lowerable to facilitate changing the bulb had a junction box on the cable preventing it being lowered.

it's all part of the learning experience

see change

it's better to be guided by your dreams than your fears

Back