This is Mens work!

I fell like a bloke today, a blue collar hard working stinky dirt covered bloke! And I don’t like it. I have been spoiled by the men in my life. Today was a lesson.

We are rebuilding a queenslander over the back from our ppor and have the top section raised on 3 huge steel beams supported by sty (piles of wooden sleepers). The footings for the new lower section were dug this week and were to be concreted yesterday. Imagine big trenches right beside the things holding the house up. Unfortunately the concretor cancelled until Monday. :( The weather forecast was for rain. I was feeling a bit worried as the entire area under the house is lower than the surrounding ground level and prone to flooding. I talked to the builder about my concerns and he agreed that it was possible that the whole thing could collapse if it rained a lot, but he said that it should be covered by insurance. Great, so no need to worry – NOT!:eek:

Yesterday, my husband, his dad and brother went to New Zealand. My Dad went to the reef fishing until Monday and my builder went to Brisbane for the weekend. My male support network has vanished.

Last night at midnight we had the biggest thunderstorm in around 4 years. The whole house shook, doors and windows were rattling and moving even though everything was closed up. And I have not been home at night without Troy for 10 years, so I wasn’t getting much sleep. I wandered over at 1:00am with a torch to make sure house was still standing. It was, but footings (and between my toes) were full of water and mud.

This morning I decided to hire a pump to get the water out and buy hay bales to try to stop any more mud running down into the trenches. There is no way I can stop the water, especially as we have ripped off the guttering, so it just pours straight in all the way around. I called the hire shop and booked the pump and asked my Mum to pick it up for me as I couldn’t fit it in the car with 2 kids in car seats. Mum called from the hire shop as the salesperson ‘decided’ we shouldn’t have the pump as it ‘wouldn’t be any use’. How would he know? :mad: I had to speak to the manager and explain why we needed it before they would give it to Mum.

Mum arrived to mind the kids while I went to get the hay bales. Problem – Dad’s toyota that I borrow for this kind of thing is attached to his boat trailer locked in a boatyard. Have to take ‘THE UTE’. :eek: The Ute is Troy’s 1964 Holden EH. Looks great but no speedo, not fuel guage, no rearview mirrors and based on past experience, an aversion to me driving it. Took a good 10 mins to start it (in 3rd), stalled at every set of lights, managed to get hay. Had to change lanes in heavy traffic – couldn’t see out rear windscreen for hay. Near death experience. Get to last turn on main highway before home – stopped, won’t start. Sounds like no fuel – remember, no fuel gauge. Get out – how embarrassing, nice young couple behind me help push it into a side street and take me home.

Get Mum and the kids in my car along with the fuel drum for the pump and get some fuel. Drive to the Ute and put it in. Still won’t start. Sounds like flat battery now as it doesn’t even try to start. No spanner to get the battery out, no leads to jump start it. Take the load of hay 2 at a time in my car boot to the house. All this outside a café on a busy road.

Talked to Troy in NZ and told him what was happening. He was so worried – about the damn UTE. I would like to throw a hand grenade in it. He told me to push in the choke, push the accelerator 4 times and hold it in then turn the key and keep it full on. I drove back in my car and tried what he said – amazingly it started. But it made a really really bad sound. Drove 50m before stopping. Had a look under the hood, for what I don’t know, just seemed the thing to do under the circumstances. I took the radiator cap off – no water to be seen. Asked a young bloke in a nearby house for some water. He poured it in and offered to stay while I tried to start it. It did and sounded fine so I took it home and swore never to drive it again. Walked back and got my car. It smelled like petrol. The fuel can had tipped in the boot and leaked petrol everywhere out the vent.

Back to the original problem. I spread out the hay around the footings. Set up the pump at the lowest point and started the motor. Holy Moses! At a capacity of about 60 000 litres/hour the muddy water blew out the end of the hose like a massive firehose. That was so much fun, :Dbut it only took about 5 minutes to do the job. Neighbors from hell were scowling at the mud flowing out into the gutter. I started to worry about them calling the council (again) so cleaned out the gutter. Storm clouds were brewing, with thunder and lightning.

Wet, muddy, sweaty, scratched, itchy and smelling pretty bad I went home and made a long awaited cup of tea. I sat down just it started to rain.

2 storm cells later I have it figured out, gumboots at the ready. All I need to do now is keep going over and starting the pump after each downpour, day and night until Monday morning. It seems to be working so far. Mum is ‘sleeping over’ so I don’t have to leave the kids in the house alone when I go to start the pump. I am so tired, I am just worried if I go to sleep I won’t hear the rain. What a day it has been.

Louise

Hi Louise...my what a time you have had of it. Despite never having had a man handy (until just recently), I've had several of those days myself. My remedy is to sit in the bath with a glass of champers and wait until the water goes cold. But I guess you've had enuf of water for the time being...and expecting some more no doubt.

Fortunately this is the stuff of dinner and camp fire yarns, and even sometimes a book.:) Hope you will soon be able to recollect this weekend with some humour.... because although tis not funny at the time, the funny just might come later.

Wow, what can I say. You are the type of woman every man dreams of. (with appropriate apologies to my wife :D)

Good work !

Phil :)

Ethereal I think you have done a great job, the best with what you know and got a satisfactory outcome.

Independence and self reliance are great qualities; as are learning stuff we might sometimes pigeon hole into the "leave it for him/her/them basket."

We have had many children (many!) share our lives; some are long term stayers, some short term and one of the most valuable skills we can teach them is independence... (and creative thinking:p).

All the males and females get Pam and Red techno courses on vehicles (on a farm, that covers a fair old broadspectrum). How to drive, operate, service (basic, rudimentary stuff).

Changing tyres!

On the farm where we live, we have small (and big!) engines, diesel, petrol, electric...one to pump water from the house dam, one to pump water from a tank into the house, another to pump from a dam into water troughs, etc. They are just a few; everyone needs to learn how to operate all of these, stock and people are dependent upon them.

Gender is secondary, the boys can still be boys, and girls can still be very girly but when it comes to sharing and pulling their weight it's all in.

We had a big get together last Saturday night and they were all (but 3) here; comparing notes together and laughing about the stuff that we had taught them..but the overriding thing is; they can think and do for themselves (to a certain extent)-they know to get professional help as appropiate!:)

None of the: leave it for him or her, I don't know, it's their job....I think you have illustrated it beautifully, all of us are individuals, we can do and learn and be independent despite any bias against our gender.

We do stuff because we can!

Good for you Ethereal.

What a wonderful job you have done. It really is amazing, that when faced with an emergency, most people just panic. You are certainly one of the rare breeds that can, not only sit down & rationalise what needs to be done, but also act on it.

Geez Louise, you really are a trouper. Thank God for your Mum. A problem shared is a problem solved and taking care of your kids must have been a tremendous help. Good on ya. :)

Isn't nature wonderful how it will ALWAYS rain just when you don't want it to. We recently had conniptions when it rained as soon as the old roof was taken off and again this last week when the painters were booked. It rained a lot when the house was first raised as well, but we were never worried about it collapsing - didn't even think it would be possible.

You definately wouldn't have gotten me out there pumping water in the middle of the night though.

Well the sun is shining and the sky is blue. Apart from a couple of minor cave-ins and wash-outs, which I can clean up today, the trenches are still relatively ok. Which should mean that we will be able to pour concrete on Monday. :D Go Mum and Me!

We really can't afford any more hold-ups so close to Christmas and with cyclone season upon us. I can't wait to see the house firmly attaced to its new base.

Thanks all for your encouraging comments!

Louise

Absolutely "well done". I have no idea how my wife would have handled that situation. And incase she is reading this im not saying that she wouldnt have handled it, just not sure "how" she would have handled it ;)

You done a great job Louise. Hope it all goes well for you from here on. Like someone else mentioned, you will look back and have a good laugh about it one day. :D

Jayro

Inspirational Louise :cool: That is way cool!!

I really enjoyed reading about your day. I think I now have an insight into how my husband thinks. I thought he suffered from terminal "getting sidetracked fever", but you've just helped me realise he's probably just trying to deal with the hurdles and problems as they come up as well as the job he set out to do in the first place!! :D

I really enjoyed reading about your day. I think I now have an insight into how my husband thinks. I thought he suffered from terminal "getting sidetracked fever", but you've just helped me realise he's probably just trying to deal with the hurdles and problems as they come up as well as the job he set out to do in the first place!! :D

I had thought my husband had a tendancy to 'dither'. I can really see now why Troy gets so p***** off when I say things like, "Are you finished doing x yet? What's taking so long? You only needed to do x." I will have to try to be more understanding of the way one problem can lead to another.

Nine hours till the concretors arrive and it is not raining. Lets hope it is a dry night.

Lou.

How much trouble would any of us y chromosomes be in if we headed a thread, "this is women's work"

True! Sorry if I have caused anyone offence. Y chromosones are great. I love em! There are just some things in my family anyhow that men tend to take responsibility for and it works for us - if you could see me I am not physically built for hard manual work and I just don't like mud and machines. My 2 year old son loves mud and machines - I put it down to the Y gene.:D

On the other side, I recently broke my ankle and Troy had to put on washing. 'How do I tun on the machine? Where do I put the powder?" etc. I'll bet he'd have figured out the sludge pump without asking me how to turn it on:).

Lou

Back