This one for Sim or anyother techie....

Hi Sim,

A stupid question requiring an answer.

What is the best way to read the new messages and mark them, and still be able to view the new posts?

i.e logged on tonight 68 new messages, read all the way to end and 5 new messages.

Damn which ones are they....

Cheers
Watto

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Damn... when will you guys learn... THERE ARE NO SUCH THINGS AS STUPID QUESTIONS (except the ones that go un-asked !)

*sigh*

Indeed, this is by no means a silly question, and is one that has bothered me endlessly.

There are only two method that I am aware of for achieving what you want...

1. Use email to read the forum, then you can let your mail client manage the new messages for you and mark them read individually. I have not done this myself, so I am only guessing how it works based on comment I have heard from other forum users.

2. Do what I do... pay attention and try to remember ! Not really a solution I know... but I can't come up with anything else at this stage.

I am hoping that if Ian agrees to add more topic-specific forums, then things will get easier, as you should be able to catch up with one smaller forum more quickly and mark it read. Of course, over time the volume will probably pick up even more such that it is really no better... but that's a problem I think we're all willing to live with !

Does anyone else have any bright ideas about managing new messages ?

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1

G'day people,

It's hardly technical, or even pretty - but what I do is to read the "old post" replies, then check "Mark Read". If it hasn't changed (much), I then duly mark it read.

This then leaves me with the "new" (italics) posts. Of course, while reading the new posts, other posts might still come in, but a Refresh will show them up.

This splits the job in two - twice as easy to handle....

(told you it wasn't pretty ... ;^)

Regards,

Les

- "Eschew Obfuscation" - ;^)

Reply: 1.1.1

When I have less than 100 messages I MArk read even if there are 5 new ones then go to the More... button and read Todays messages - they're chronological from memory.

My problem is I have 1817 new messages in this forum. So much info - so little time.

Paul Zag
Dreamspinner
WealthEsteem coming soon at...
http://wealthesteem.dyndns.org/

Reply: 1.1.1.1

I think you need ro reassess your priorities a little Paul... less time slaving for wages, more time sharing your wealth of knowledge with us ;-)

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Hi Watto!

As you read each one, click on the title on the list of messages, it will turn grey, rather than blue. This will clearly delineate the read from the unread. New messages show up in blue, between the grey ones.

When I read them, I click on the first one, read the thread, then click on each subsequent one quickly, you don't have to wait for them to load, just for the heading to go grey. That way, when you get to the bottom of all your messages, hit 'refresh' and any new ones will be easily visible in blue!

Hope that helps.

asy :eek:)

"Don't forget what happened to the guy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...
He lived happily ever after.
(Willy Wonka).

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

I read the forum the same way as Asy does.

And when I get a refresh without any knew posts I quickly go over and hit Mark Read on them all.

I actually Mark Read the forum 2-3 times a day when I'm logged in so it doesn't get out of hand.

Cheers
Robert

The Sydney "Freestylers" Group Leader.

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Thanks Asy that idea works well and makes managing messages so easy....

Now i won't miss a thing.

P.S. Thanks too Sim, Les and Paul try Asy's and Robert's method it's soooo easy.

Cheers
Watto

Back