Thoughts on Bendigo Bank rates & Adelaide Bank

Hi All,

After having our original PPOR and now IP with Bendigo Bank at quite a competitive rate for the last 7 years or so, we're now shopping for a new PPOR loan after purchasing some weeks ago in Melbourne. The new loan for PPOR only will be in the order of 600K.

We've been happy with BB, and note in our area they sponsor many community initiatives, which I'm happy to pay a small premium for, however the question is, how much higher should one pay!

Their current 'package plus' variable with 100% offset is advertised at 5.11%, which is a little higher than others (CBA 4.84%).

Interestingly, the Adelaide Bank is also advertising 4.84%. As Adelaide & Bendigo is the same company, is it safe to assume their funding costs are the same? I would think a local Bendigo branch would match their affiliates offerings? Does this happen with CBA / Bankwest for example. Interested in people's thoughts....

Cheers,

Hi,

I have a loan with Bendigo Bank, but I still cringe at the premium I'm paying on Interest rates, plus monthly fees.

Normally I'd use my MB, but having a good relationship with the branch manager made it quick and easy to secure the property, my MB didn't have a problem with it, he advises me either way.

My loan is very low so I'm not losing too much with the interest rate difference.
I'd suggest you get on to one of the mortgage brokers and find the best fit for your circumstances.

Heya,

If rate is your major concern, try ubank or loans.com.au. They both have very good rates variable rates. You'd be getting sub 4.55% rates i think.

May want to consider if it fits in with your overall plan (consider whether you need to cash out early, etc.). If it doesn't, may want to pay a little bit more and go to more suitable lenders.

Fundings costs are usually a little cheaper for the big 4 banks. They have greater risk assessment frameworks in place that allow them to hold less capital for their exposures. This reduces the big 4's funding costs.

I'm not certain on this, but their subsidiaries that don't have the same tools need to hold a bit more capital - increasing their funding costs. They end up being cheaper because of costs (e.g. it costs a lot more to run a CBA than an online only lender).

Cheers,
Redom

Rate isn't always the number one consideration, but it's not hard to beat Bendigo's offerings.

Sub 4.8% should be possible on ~600k.

Adelaide is essentially the broker channel for the group while bendigo is the direct channel. The cost of funds would be the same for the group but then the expenses between the two channels would be slightly different.

5.11% is well over the odds for that loan amount assuming lvr under 80%. Why don't you see what they can do or approach the broker

Hi

Hi Crulj,

As you mentioned about one lender owning another, most lenders have their own profit and loss statement to follow. So most banks offer different products and rates to ensure there targeting the right market.

When looking at a lender, don't always focus on the rates:
Why? There are other things to consider, monthly or yearly fees, how easy are they to do with, what conditions do they have in terms of equity release and how do they secure your properties.

If your looking for structure talk to a broker who can look at what you are doing now but also help you reach your goals for the future.

I have also private messaged you some advice.

Cheers

Brilliant, thanks for the feedback. I always through Adelaide Bank was retail too, not just a channel for brokers. Interesting.

Will see how things pan out this week after I speak with BB further. Thanks again.

Hi Crulj,

As you mentioned about one lender owning another, most lenders have their own profit and loss statement to follow. So most banks offer different products and rates to ensure there targeting the right market.

When looking at a lender, don't always focus on the rates:
Why? There are other things to consider, monthly or yearly fees, how easy are they to do with, what conditions do they have in terms of equity release and how do they secure your properties.

If your looking for structure talk to a broker who can look at what you are doing now but also help you reach your goals for the future.

I have also private messaged you some advice.

Cheers
This is a public forum so why not post the advice publicly....

Hi All,

After having our original PPOR and now IP with Bendigo Bank at quite a competitive rate for the last 7 years or so, we're now shopping for a new PPOR loan after purchasing some weeks ago in Melbourne. The new loan for PPOR only will be in the order of 600K.

We've been happy with BB, and note in our area they sponsor many community initiatives, which I'm happy to pay a small premium for, however the question is, how much higher should one pay!

Their current 'package plus' variable with 100% offset is advertised at 5.11%, which is a little higher than others (CBA 4.84%).

Interestingly, the Adelaide Bank is also advertising 4.84%. As Adelaide & Bendigo is the same company, is it safe to assume their funding costs are the same? I would think a local Bendigo branch would match their affiliates offerings? Does this happen with CBA / Bankwest for example. Interested in people's thoughts....

Cheers,

Perhaps try and push the local manager a bit with the rate, they might be able to offer you a bit more of a discount as an existing customer.
Let them know that you're looking elsewhere and you want them to match or at least be in the market.

If your loan is 80% or under LVR, ask them to give you a better rate or you will refi elsewhere.

That's what I'd be doing.

I know rate isn't the number one factor but Bendigo isn't generally a lender conducive to investors - so an external refi for a better rate isn't unreasonable IMO.

Cheers

Jamie

Back