Thoughts on Caboolture QLD?

Hi everyone,

I've come across what appears to be a decent CF+ opportunity in Caboolture QLD but my knowledge of the area is extremely limited so I'm just carrying out due diligence now.

What I've gathered so far is that it is a popular spot for retirees (lots of retirement villages), it's about 60KM or 45m drive from Brisbane CBD and that it's demographics are questionable. I did a search on the forum and the general consensus seems to hold the area in an unfavorable light but the last comment made was almost a year ago. I do know that there are some infrastructure developments happening around the spot I'm interested in though so that is a plus.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any insights into the area they'd like to share? Does it have the potential to grow with Brisbane and SEQ in the next 12-24 months or is it going to be one of those areas that get left behind?

Cheers,
Brandon

Hi Brandon

I have always through of it as the Logan of the North. Low SES in the middle of Brisbane and the Coast.

Hi Brandon

I have always through of it as the Logan of the North. Low SES in the middle of Brisbane and the Coast.

Thanks for the input mate. Lots of people on here are going nuts over Logan, do you really think Caboolture has similar underlying foundation for growth as Logan? Btw I'm a newbie so not sure what SES stands for?

Caboolture is between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast. The demographic is largely low socio economic (SE), pensioners and disability pensioners and low income families. The infrastructure activity for the LGA (local govt authority) region of Moreton Bay seems to be more south or middle, - North Lakes, Strathpine and Redcliffe. Those who live at Caboolture would know more than I do.

During this current economic upswing for South East Qld, we are not seeing as much capital growth as we saw in the previous three cycles. We are not currently getting the population growth we have seen over the past three decades.

Caboolture is between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast. The demographic is largely low socio economic (SE), pensioners and disability pensioners and low income families. The infrastructure activity for the LGA (local govt authority) region of Moreton Bay seems to be more south or middle, - North Lakes, Strathpine and Redcliffe. Those who live at Caboolture would know more than I do.

During this current economic upswing for South East Qld, we are not seeing as much capital growth as we saw in the previous three cycles. We are not currently getting the population growth we have seen over the past three decades.

OK so I take that as another thumb down for Caboolture. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated :)

I spent a day in Caboolture about a year ago.

Visited someone who was on the dis support pension, living in a gated like community. It was a huge complex with a swimming pool and was very well maintained. The rent was about 150 pw for a tiny one bedda villa type thing. I think for an extra 30 pw they threw in a few meals.

The people were friendly enough but it seemed like some kind of God's waiting room. The shops on the main drag seemed quiet and boredom quickly set in. Also being summer is was very hot.

Luckily I only stayed for a day. My friend started hassling me to stay longer but when he saw me attach a hose from the car exhaust to the inside of the car, he quickly urged to me to go lol.

Only go to Caboolture if the other choice is to live in a cave.

Definitely not bogan enough. I need action Angel. If my heart beat doesn't hit 120 bpm at least 6 times a day then I doze off in boredom lol.

When I was in Caboolture (can't remember if it was north or south) it seemed very quiet.
Maybe word got out that I was coming to town lol..

Just my personal opinion - i live in Brisbane city, north side.
I think Caboolture is worse than Logan. Logan is at least making an effort to try and shed its bogan image. The mayor is on the news a fair bit about improving the area and local facilities. There is a good level of commerial/retail/industry in Logan.
I dont think of Caboolture as filled with retirees. I think of it as the most densely populated area of low socio-economic people on the north side (long term unemployed/unemployable, not due to disability). The main town centre, when I had to visit a year ago looked really poor, lots of vacant shops, rundown looking buildings. There are nicer areas of Caboolture but the fact that they are in Caboolture may hinder CG. Caboolture as mentioned, is a long way from Brisbane for your average Brisbanite.
I think the main issue would be the type of tenant you would attract.

Just my personal opinion - i live in Brisbane city, north side.
I think Caboolture is worse than Logan. Logan is at least making an effort to try and shed its bogan image. The mayor is on the news a fair bit about improving the area and local facilities. There is a good level of commerial/retail/industry in Logan.
I dont think of Caboolture as filled with retirees. I think of it as the most densely populated area of low socio-economic people on the north side (long term unemployed/unemployable, not due to disability). The main town centre, when I had to visit a year ago looked really poor, lots of vacant shops, rundown looking buildings. There are nicer areas of Caboolture but the fact that they are in Caboolture may hinder CG. Caboolture as mentioned, is a long way from Brisbane for your average Brisbanite.
I think the main issue would be the type of tenant you would attract.

yeah. I would agree and avoid Caboolture if possible. there will be a great many areas in Brisbane that will show CG before Caboolture does.

I don't think it has the growth potential of Logan, I was commenting more on the low Socieconomic Status (SES). BNE - GC corridor will infill much faster than BNE to SC corridor

Gees, the overall impression seems to be overwhelmingly negative... is it really THAT bad??? Sounds like an area to stay well clear of. My initial impression was that it's similar to Logan, apparently not!

Last edited:
Not even a single "maybe" vote, lol! So even if I manage to snap up an absolute bargain with CF+ there's just no point as CG will be next to nothing for a long time to come hey?

Not even a single "maybe" vote, lol! So even if I manage to snap up an absolute bargain with CF+ there's just no point as CG will be next to nothing for a long time to come hey?

It's 60k out and not a location where people would want to live
You would be waiting a long time

You would be better off getting a slightly negative cf property much closer to Brisbane - capital gains will more than compensate you

It's 60k out and not a location where people would want to live
You would be waiting a long time

You would be better off getting a slightly negative cf property much closer to Brisbane - capital gains will more than compensate you

yup...id rather buy a smaller apartment in areas closer to the CBD rather than a large house in Caboolture for the same money.

For what it's worth all my properties are in Caboolture/Morayfield area and I wouldn't touch Logan myself (I always considered it more bogan than anything on the northside, but that is my perception).
There has been bugger all CG for the last few years after it all tanked in the GFC, although the last 6 months has seen movement.
CG here is always later then Brisbane. In 01/02 When Brissie boomed we were still floundering here but over the course of 03 (much later than everyone else) we had huge growth e.g. our PPOR went from 245000 (bank Val) in February 03 to a sale price of 345000 in December 03. That house would currently be around 500k as it's on 3/4 acre.
There are many different areas within the Caboolture area and it really depends what you want to achieve.

Back