Thoughts on these properties in Brisbane

All good quality stock in nice areas.

I have a soft spot for Stafford, mainly due to some of the great views that can be had from this burb and surrounds.

What does your statistical research tell you on these places for predicted cap gain ?

ta
rolf

Wooloowin and Camp Hill are fantastic surburbs with easy access to public transport and the CBD. Nurstead road may be a little busy, I don't quite recall.

I will be aiming for a 600sqm property with LMR zoning, so you can always manufacture your own cap growth.

What are your thoughts on the brick veneer in Stafford Heights? I'm a bit worried that about a house like that due to there being so many of the same looking brick veneers in that street/area whereas everywhere else is mainly Queenslanders. The house itself is great tho, very low maintenance and those brick places will last for years and years.

Just wanted to get some opinions on these properties for an investment purpose.

Thanks in advanced!

realestate.com.au http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-wooloowin-117880411

realestate.com.au http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-staffordheights-117778183

http://www.domain.com.au/2011423918

http://www.domain.com.au/2011418147

Went and looked at most of them today apart from the southern side properties.

In my opinion...

-Wooloowin is a great area and is very close to public transportation of the property on the map. Problem is the house itself looks a bit old and tired. Although looks reno'd in the inside, there might be work you will have to do on the outside e.g. paint all exteriors, work on that garden at the back. Being 3 +1+1, I would think 3 bedrooms would warrant an extra bathroom/toilet and thus consider cost factors there...also the 1 carpark may be a bit limiting. Also has a significantly higher asking price than the others...

Stafford hts property looks good, well kept and upto par quality wise.
4 bedrooms is a plus. Problem here is I don't see any transportation close by!!! This ,in my view, is a real issue and a shame because I really liked this one. The lack of being walking distance/close enough to major - and frequent-transport is a major driver for cap gains, rentability, and so forth.

camp hill one is nice, maybe a bit of work cleaning up the front to make it more appealing to the eye. Personally, I do NOT like the back yard , seems like the back yard has been flattened and on a different elevation to the house!!! and only 1 bathroom.

carina hts one- great price for what they offer. Interiors and back yard are nice. Might have to put in another bathroom/toilet to adequately service 3 bedrooms though.

In my opinion...

-Wooloowin is a great area and is very close to public transportation of the property on the map. Problem is the house itself looks a bit old and tired. Although looks reno'd in the inside, there might be work you will have to do on the outside e.g. paint all exteriors, work on that garden at the back. Being 3 +1+1, I would think 3 bedrooms would warrant an extra bathroom/toilet and thus consider cost factors there...also the 1 carpark may be a bit limiting. Also has a significantly higher asking price than the others...

Stafford hts property looks good, well kept and upto par quality wise.
4 bedrooms is a plus. Problem here is I don't see any transportation close by!!! This ,in my view, is a real issue and a shame because I really liked this one. The lack of being walking distance/close enough to major - and frequent-transport is a major driver for cap gains, rentability, and so forth.

camp hill one is nice, maybe a bit of work cleaning up the front to make it more appealing to the eye. Personally, I do NOT like the back yard , seems like the back yard has been flattened and on a different elevation to the house!!! and only 1 bathroom.

carina hts one- great price for what they offer. Interiors and back yard are nice. Might have to put in another bathroom/toilet to adequately service 3 bedrooms though.

Hi, Thank you for your reply JD! I to like the one in carina heights, the only thing that sort of turned me off this was the fact that its only on a 405sqm block. What are your thoughts on the carina heights area in general? The street seemed very quiet when i drove past the front. I don't know much about the area seeing as i am from melbourne and just up for the weekend.

Hi, Thank you for your reply JD! I to like the one in carina heights, the only thing that sort of turned me off this was the fact that its only on a 405sqm block. What are your thoughts on the carina heights area in general? The street seemed very quiet when i drove past the front. I don't know much about the area seeing as i am from melbourne and just up for the weekend.

From my limited knowledge, they all seem good areas, as one of the above posters said. I don't know if there is a significant difference between them, I think not. Maybe others on this forum can offer more specific information on specific areas.

this could give u some more info...

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/carina-heights-is-brisbanes-fastest-selling-suburb/story-fndbalka-1227057074359

I lived in Carina Heights for the last 5ish years in 3 different streets and only moved out 6 months ago, the reason its the fastest selling is two fold.
1. They recently changed the development laws for the part of carina heights to mirror the other part, so a lot of big blocks that have been bought up by locals who have been expecting this change are now being sold off to developers

2. Big block sizes. You can easily pack 4 town houses on most of the blocks, or what most have been doing is buying the street-street blocks and squeezing in 8.

So while its "the fastest selling" the reason for that is because people are buying scummy old houses, bull dozing them and selling 4-8 town houses on that block (have a look at the current sale stock, town houses galore.)

The reason I left was that there was way too much construction, just in my little street alone (which was a quiet street) there was easily 6 town house development projects, the block next door to me had just been bought by a developer & the 16 town house development across the road was making parking a b***.

oh yeah, that's the other thing, parking in most of those streets is currently f***ked. You can do an 8x 2 storey 3br town house development and you only have to provide 8x 1 car garages or car parks. Given that the vast majority of the renters in the area are students or young people & the public transport is not that great (10+ minute walk up a big hill to get to a bus stop.. everyone drives) the majority are 2+ car households. So basically remove 5x family homes, put in 40 units with 80+ cars within 30 metres of each other and suddenly you've got a battle royale for parking with all the original owners used to a quiet little street bitching and moaning about how impossible it is to park there.

tl;dr: it is the fastest selling because its the current sweet spot for cheap land / developable block sizes without having to line up multiple block purchases...

If you can get a house there, maybe. personally I wouldn't touch any of the town houses there (having lived in everything ranging from the bottom end $300k-ish to the $550k+ "executive" nicely fitted ones) the quality is all pretty mediocre.

I lived in Carina Heights for the last 5ish years in 3 different streets and only moved out 6 months ago, the reason its the fastest selling is two fold.
1. They recently changed the development laws for the part of carina heights to mirror the other part, so a lot of big blocks that have been bought up by locals who have been expecting this change are now being sold off to developers

2. Big block sizes. You can easily pack 4 town houses on most of the blocks, or what most have been doing is buying the street-street blocks and squeezing in 8.

So while its "the fastest selling" the reason for that is because people are buying scummy old houses, bull dozing them and selling 4-8 town houses on that block (have a look at the current sale stock, town houses galore.)

The reason I left was that there was way too much construction, just in my little street alone (which was a quiet street) there was easily 6 town house development projects, the block next door to me had just been bought by a developer & the 16 town house development across the road was making parking a b***.

oh yeah, that's the other thing, parking in most of those streets is currently f***ked. You can do an 8x 2 storey 3br town house development and you only have to provide 8x 1 car garages or car parks. Given that the vast majority of the renters in the area are students or young people & the public transport is not that great (10+ minute walk up a big hill to get to a bus stop.. everyone drives) the majority are 2+ car households. So basically remove 5x family homes, put in 40 units with 80+ cars within 30 metres of each other and suddenly you've got a battle royale for parking with all the original owners used to a quiet little street bitching and moaning about how impossible it is to park there.

tl;dr: it is the fastest selling because its the current sweet spot for cheap land / developable block sizes without having to line up multiple block purchases...

If you can get a house there, maybe. personally I wouldn't touch any of the town houses there (having lived in everything ranging from the bottom end $300k-ish to the $550k+ "executive" nicely fitted ones) the quality is all pretty mediocre.

I'll make a generic comment regarding the above:
If the hold period is 10+ years [ 20 is better than 10] , then construction and population growth isn't a bad thing, provided the necessary infrastructure can support it [ and even of it cant, it will eventually catch up]. Construction and pop growth has too many benefits to list- some of them include gentrification [ i.e.new stuff looks better and is better quality than 50 year old run downs], attracts a more productive [ and well off] class of resident, and all this in turn attracts govt infrastructure spend due to population growth [eventually].
If, on the other hand, the hold period is short term[ say 1-2 years], then the increase in stock levels will not bode well for your sale. This is where people get into trouble- they take an asset like real estate and try to flip it in a short time. This isn't hong kong, shanghai, mumbai, or Rio where you can get 30% gains year on year [ could easily go the other way too). This is little old Brisbane where they still take a public holiday so that you can go see the sheep and cows at the Ekka.
My conclusion: hold for as long as you can and you shall reap the rewards [ as with most property in most suburbs]. Just make sure the fundamentals are right before purchase - things like transport options, distance to employment centers, healthcare, shopping, safety, attractiveness, marketability etc.
If your view is long term, I would not worry too much about new development. Developers build because they think they can make $$$- supply and demand stuff. If that were not true, then I assure you no development would be going on ( definitely not in a capitalist democratic society).

Just make sure the fundamentals are right before purchase - things like transport options, distance to employment centers, healthcare, shopping, safety, attractiveness, marketability etc.
If your view is long term, I would not worry too much about new development. Developers build because they think they can make $$$- supply and demand stuff. If that were not true, then I assure you no development would be going on ( definitely not in a capitalist democratic society).

Oops, what happened in Gladstone? Yes, there really can be too much new development.

I like Carina Heights also. BUT a 405m2 block will have less future development potential as compared to 600m2

Oops, what happened in Gladstone? Yes, there really can be too much new development.

I never said there cant be oversupply; just as the converse could also be true.

Markets always sway from side to side, always trying to find an equilibrium where supply meets demand. In some markets this movement can happen quickly [ e.g.share market] and in others like real estate it takes a longer to get to that equilibrium. My point simply is that the longer you are in the game, the less market in-equilibria will impact you when it comes time to sell.

Back