Thoughts on this property in Parkwood, Gold Coast

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any comments on this property.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-parkwood-107892026

I know the GC is absolutely cold at the moment with poor capital growth and some people struggling to find tenants but this house is listed at 409,000 on a 618 sqm block. The latest average price for parkwood is $452,000. So if you could get it for say 390,000-399,000 than you might snatch it up a bit undervalued.

The things I like about this property is that it is within walking distance to griffith university and the 750 bed university hospital that is currently under construction which is expected to see thousands of people using/visiting each each.

The existing adjacent griffith university has grown considerably over the last 5 years and has started to get a better name for itself - so it will be interesting to see if this continues over the next 5-10 years.

The other positive is the new light rail which is expected to start services in 2014 (we will see if it does make this deadline) will have a stop at the university precinct which will connect to the rest of the gold coast through southport, surfers paradise and broadbeach, with future potential stages to helensvale connecting up with the train line and westfield (although fairly new, one of the smallest and worst westfields I have been to).

I see potential for this 4bed 2bath 2 car house to rent around $520-$600 to future students of the university hospital as well as the existing griffith university. And as it is a house there would be no body corporate (which is a bonus) however there will be other rates. If rented at $550 at a purchase price of 390k that is a yield of over 7% (not including other expenses). I am not entirely sure of the rents for the area but I would expect 4 students could manage this easily. Maybe I am being generous for the high rent - but i guess there are other options such as renting individual rooms/offering furnished/etc. But if you could get around 7% then it could easily be cashflow +ve.

One of the negatives I see for the immediate surrounding area is that it still has a bit of a scummy feel to it - but hey if the yield is good and the demand is there than who cares. Besides it might get a bit better once the hospital completes, who knows.

The other benefit is that if the 2018 Commonwealth Games to be announced next month was given to the Gold Coast that could kick things back into drive as governments will want the infrastructure/transport ready for the games and will probably receive extra state funding. I think it is between GC and Sri Lanka atm and I think that if the athletes had their choice they would definetly choose GC, but yeah it isn't up to them so we will all wait for the announcement in November!

Just thought I would post up a property for anyones thoughts or comments - I am in no position to buy anyways and am still a rookie in property investing but I still like to have a quick look at RE.com.au and try to spot things that have potential. But please let me know if you think this was a bad pick.

Cheers

Ps.

Your Investment Property Mag November 2011 Issue states (Parkwood - Houses):

Vacancy rate of 2.2%

Average House Price: 475k

Average Rent: 450$ (I must have over estimated this)

Gross Rental Yield: 5% (I must have over estimated this)

5 year growth: 21.79%

Days on market: 98

So maybe I over estimated the rental yield - but maybe it will grow once the hospital finishes

parkwood was listed as number 9 in the "top 50 brisbane metro and surround suburbs for capital growth" residex report i bought recently...my 2 cents...:)

parkwood ................scummy ??

Geeze I dunno where u live :) , but that area isnt bad by most people's comps I suspect.

Student rentals are quite popular in the area even now, I have clients with a couple of those in the immediate area. Used to get really good returns, not quite as strong now

at 400 k it looks to be a good buy, and well below replacement value for anything remotely similar

ta
rolf

Attachments

• Market-Analysis-92-INVERNESS-WAY-PARKWOOD-QLD-4214-20111014-102425.pdf
    619 KB · Views: 168
parkwood ................scummy ??

Geeze I dunno where u live :) , but that area isnt bad by most people's comps I suspect.

Student rentals are quite popular in the area even now, I have clients with a couple of those in the immediate area. Used to get really good returns, not quite as strong now

at 400 k it looks to be a good buy, and well below replacement value for anything remotely similar

ta
rolf

Thanks for the reply rolf and didn't mean to come across as a snob haha.

Just not somewhere I would personally want to live.

The attached PDF is awesome! So much information - You starting to convince me that a buyers agent is the way to go in the future for me.

Edit: my mistake I thought you were a buyers agent :D however your still in the same circle

Hi YPG,

If you plan to rent it out to students, make sure it is a brick house with a tin roof and concrete floors - or they will wreck the place haha.

On a more serious note; you will only be able to rent it out during uni terms as the kids (at least some of them) will go back home. You will then lose rent. Also; with 4 or 5 people renting the one house, there is a lot more risk that one or two won't pay rent at some point.

I'd be looking for 12%+ yields for student accom as it is higher risk - but at least you are apparently buying in a good area (I have no knowledge of it though as I am from Sydney.

Hey YPG,

your rent appraisal and expected returns may be a little optimistic.

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Rent/House/QLD/Parkwood/?adid=7240001

That is only one quick example I found online. Not exhaustive by any means, but do your research carefully.

I reckon once the hospital is finished, you would do better to target nurses and/or medical interns/personnel. They are likely to be a better quality tenure.

From my observations, Southport and parts of Labrador tend to be the "room by room" letting precincts. Not saying that it won't work in Parkwood, however the Uni has been there for a while. The hospital relocating will be the kicker. You may be able to do letting by the bedroom, however ask yourself how will it be managed? By whom? Insurance issues? and so forth.

I am new to the Coast myself, however impressions are that Parkwood is quite a nice area. Anything within one km of the new medical precinct should do well.

Good luck :)

Hi YPG,

If you plan to rent it out to students, make sure it is a brick house with a tin roof and concrete floors - or they will wreck the place haha.

On a more serious note; you will only be able to rent it out during uni terms as the kids (at least some of them) will go back home. You will then lose rent. Also; with 4 or 5 people renting the one house, there is a lot more risk that one or two won't pay rent at some point.

I'd be looking for 12%+ yields for student accom as it is higher risk - but at least you are apparently buying in a good area (I have no knowledge of it though as I am from Sydney.

Hey JWR,

Thanks for your reply.

Hmmm I don't think there would be a problem with tenants leaving as they would sign a 6/12 month lease - I was a student renting near UQ and the majority of st lucia is renting on 12 month leases (was hard to find a 6 month). It is just a known fact for myself and the other people that if we want to rent close to uni we have to deal with a couple of months that we may not be there 100% of the time.

I know St Lucia has a much higher demand - but the parkwood property is essentially a property in close proximity to the uni/hospital where students may choose to rent and I don't think there would be a problem getting a normal lease (6-12 months) and not just a lease for the period of study for students.

I don't think I would ever buy an IP specifically for students only or if I did it would the yield would definetly have to be around the 12% mark.

But as Player said perhaps a better tenant would be some of the nurses/medical staff/etc..

I also don't know if I like the whole rent room by room - might be more hassle than its worth. Just thought it might be worth considering if the returns were there.

Haha and yeah looking back my expected yields are a little bit high - guess I was trying to be a little too optimistic haha. But I'm sure once all the infrastructure completes the rental yields will increase.

And Player in regards to, I am in no position to buy myself - I just bought my first PPOR, so questions like insurance, management, etc. don't really concern me at the moment.

Sadly I doubt I will be able to buy anything for 2-3 years.

But thanks for your replys and the info!

Cheers

Another thought about nurses as tenants:

I have a friend who is a nurse and she is on call all the time at late hours/early morning on the weekends. (She obviously gets paid well for this)

So every 2nd weekend or so she has to stay home, be ready at any minute to leave, be within 20 minutes of the hospital (I don't remember the exact number so don't quote me on this), cannot drink alcohol, etc.

Anyways, my thought was this may be another reason why parkwood will see a high increase in the nursing staff and other medical professions that are on call and have to be close to their work (more so than other professions).

Might be an obvious thought, but I thought I'd mention it anyways

I think this would apply to other similiar medical professions

Haha so my parents just got back from an overseas holiday on Friday and I showed them the property and wrote a few pros/cons and showed them your residex valuation rolf - anyways to my surprise they really liked it, and wanted to buy it.

So they were going to ring the agent to inspect and then put a cash offer of 390k after we inspected it. However when they rung the agent told them it had just sold for 400k, which is a bummer - I would have really enjoyed patching up a few things and repainting for them over the Christmas holidays.

At least it confirms my opinion that it was a good buy because I think it was on the market for less than 20 days.

Back