Throwing out mail!

We still get mail from the previous tennant and one before that! We have been here for over a year and have been returning the mail the post office with "not at address" written on all the mail.
Still it comes, they get more mail than we do! I've been ringing some of these companies and telling them too...

At what point do you just bin it all, and what are the legal implications of this???

A year is long enough to be forwarding someone else mail. At some point you have to draw the line and realise that you are just being used as a cheap mail forwarding service for someone who can't get their act together. I have stopped forwarding the previous owners mail after 5 (yes 5!) years.

As far as I know there are no legal comeback, but I would love to hear from someone on here who knows more about it.

After over 2 years of mail to previous tenant with no forwarding address I thought I'd open some of the letters. They turned out to be all letters previous tenant would bin anyway-such as superannuation policy statement with a $12.87 balance, letters from shops where they had purchased something.

Also got regualr phone calls over a 5 year period from a very insistant elderly lady with a refined accent who was going to pick up Margaret and take her to bowls. I kept telling her I now had the telephone number...there was no Margaret here. She would then get annoyed with me.

Also would get calls from a parole officer looking for Margaret's son...the parole officer seemed pretty convinced we were one and the same. This happened a few times.

How about 8 years and still getting it.

Our Business has Stanley Bostich (stapler/fastener Manufacturer) number for 9 years now. And we still get their phone calls. People start rattling off an order list (obviously they dont listen to our introduction) and then get into an ARGUMENT with us an wanting their 'new' number. At home, we get several old people calling us up and leaving us phone messages - sigh.

I used to have people (women usually) come up to me in Grace Bros (when I was about 19 or 20) and ask me if we had different sizes in certain shirts, or did this product come with a 2 year warranty etc. I was tempted to start to help them then say something really abusive prompting them to complain to the store manager about Grace Bros impolite sales staff.

Was asked by another person very recently when is the bus (NSW state bus) departing and that I had better hurry up as I was now late and not sticking to the timetable. Must have been the cheap blue cardigan like pullover I was wearing (purchased in Hong Kong for about $10). The lady was a bit embarrassed when she realised I was not the bus driver (but that she had mistaken me for one based on appearance).

I once had someone call me asking for a Carol. I thought it was someone I knew so said she was in the shower (I don't know any Carols)
They proceeded to tell me something about a property purchase and to get her to call them back for a meeting tomorrow, or something like that and hang up. Come to think of it, are there any Carols on SS that missed out on a property meeting/purchase? Sorry, my bad.

Also had a message that I could pick up my new Black SS ute now sometime ago.

I've binned and opened literally thousands of letters over the years from various ratbag tenants who have just taken off. Most are from debt collection agencies (join the queue buddy !!), or from video shop owners demanding payment. The vast majority however are from credit card companies - either chasing up payment or others offering fresh credit. Relentless and relentlessly stupid at the same time.

We bought a place in '04, with 6 ratbag Tenants strewn throughout the place. The last was kicked out in July '05. Since then we've had another Tenant in there from July '05 to Oct '07. The present tenant has been there since Oct '07. Went out there last week to do an inspection, and the letterbox was chok-a-blok full of demand notices for goods and services unpaid and promotional letters offering them more gear to my 6 ex-ratbag tenants, all dated August 2009. Unbelievable !!

I fully expect to go out there in 2014 and still have mountains of cr@p still addressed to them.

Wasn't there a thread recently about this same topic...and someone mentioned legal implications of a company chasing up money - it got to the point of court and having to prove that the new occupants didn't know anything about the previous tenants?

Last Novemebr when Rob and returned for a visit, we went to Laverton, Vic where he lived before moving to Canada with me.
The new owner came outside when he realised we were looking at his property. A conversation started and he admitted he sent back mail for the first couple of years and then trashed it.
We thought that was funny....can't expect him to do it for 6 years !!!

Also got regualr phone calls over a 5 year period from a very insistant elderly lady with a refined accent who was going to pick up Margaret and take her to bowls. I kept telling her I now had the telephone number...there was no Margaret here. She would then get annoyed with me.

I reckon you should have popped on a dress and some lippie and gone to bowls :D:eek:.

I've binned and opened literally thousands of letters over the years from various ratbag tenants who have just taken off. Most are from debt collection agencies (join the queue buddy !!), or from video shop owners demanding payment.
A house I used to live at (that I had NONE of my mail sent to) got about 4 inches of mail a DAY, mostly to the same person.

We started opening it when sending it back a kilo at a time got too annoying. It was mostly speeding fines, parking fines, court notices, court notices on court notices, summons, suppeanors (spelling?) and general car related stuff.

Seems the previous tenant was a bit of a hoon.

We ended up taping over the mailbox - which is apparently very very naughty and the postie actually knocked on my door to tell me off. He did let me do it though, just complained a lot.

The only mail we've had here not addressed to us is the child support stuff for the previous owner's girlfriend.

Our phone number is brand new, as was the old number we now have disconnected and redirected, but the old number is one transposition (1110 vs 1101 or something) off the pub 30km down the road, so I used to get the odd call for them.

I once had someone call me asking for a Carol. I thought it was someone I knew so said she was in the shower (I don't know any Carols)
They proceeded to tell me something about a property purchase and to get her to call them back for a meeting tomorrow, or something like that and hang up. Come to think of it, are there any Carols on SS that missed out on a property meeting/purchase? Sorry, my bad.

You rang? :p

So today in our PO Box we received a letter to our correct box number, but the Suburb was Nedlands, WA, and our PO Box is in metro SA. Nice one Australia Post.

A few years ago we got a late night phone call. Apparently our phone number was one number transposed from a Brothel. This guy was ordering several young ladies for a group of his friends. We took great delight in getting his full order details, and saying they would be arriving in 30 minutes. We figured he wouldnt get the numbers transposed again, and then spent the next couple of hours laughing as he would have promised his mates and no-one showing up.