TICA and reference checkers

I've noticed a few threads on here in which other investors have all complained about PM's refusing to use tenancy databases (like TICA) to vet tenants. I'm looking at finding a new PM, and I want to make absolutely sure that they are going to use databases and going to reference check. Is there any way to actually know if an agency uses databases? And also to know that they will thouroughly check references?

I don't want to come out and directly ask them if they use a database, because frankly I don't trust sales people, and may say they check databases (when they either don't use/or haven't got access) just to get my property for their agency. I'd rather just call the database to find out if they're registered (if that's allowed), or see it in a contract or policy form, or see some other registration identification (if it exists).

Is it possible to have it contracted in that they will check every single applicant using a database and references, because as yet I've never seen it specifically contracted that they will, for example, "will call previous property reference, place of employment and conduct a search on TICA and another database for all short-listed applicants"

Also, it'd probably be helpful to list major agencies that are known to have a policy for using programs, such as -
Ray White
Raine and Horne
etc etc

I'm just a little concerned as after my Jeff Jones fiasco (with the PM and tenants from hell), I moved to a new agency and found a great PM (but she's going on maternity leave) and I need someone new who will really vet tenants for my investement

Suggest that you see a print out of the tica/NTD report for each applicant. This is something that we do for every check so we have it on file should someone question it.

Sometimes it is also requested on an insurance claim (landlord ins) they will often ask if a check was done and proof prior to processing a claim. So you could say that your insurer wants to see it? so you want a copy for your records should the question be raised down the track.

Not sure how you can get proof that an employer was called or prior landlord you may just have to take thier word for it. We would normally fill out a prepared questionair for each applicant reference check and this is kept on file. (name of person who we spoke to, position, date, time, and answers to our questions).

I've noticed a few threads on here in which other investors have all complained about PM's refusing to use tenancy databases (like TICA) to vet tenants.

What??? That is unbelievable! We have found so many tenants, especially ones coming from private landlords who are blacklisted. (some that are not listed we still would not rent to!).

A good agency should subscribe to BOTH major tenancy databases TICA and NTD not just one and they should check both all the time.

To be honest though Minka, part of our office procedure is to check both databases and that is always done, however a landlord asking for proof and print outs would add to admin costs and be a pain in the bum ;).

Better to find an agency that you can trust, business relationships are the most important to get great service.

I use TICA and TRA databases when processing applications.

We have had our share of bad tenants, none of which were listed on the database.

As you say yourself not all agents use them so that means not all bad tenants that rent though them never appear on a database.

Default tenancy databases would only work if every agent subscribed to there service.

Back