TIFU - My regrets as a 46-year-old, and advice to others at a crossroad

It reads like bad fiction, obviously BS.

Even if his story were true, I don't find it particularly sad. A 46 year bemoaning that he never finished his novel or traveled the world to help homeless people? He sounds like a typical narcissistic 20 year old on Facebook.

Judging by the quality of writing in his post, his novel was going to be rubbish. And he wants to help homeless people? He could volunteer at his local Salvos or St Vinnies or donate some of his hard earned banker's dough. Not glamorous enough? Too mundane? Then he should shut up and stop whingeing.

I really don't understand the appeal of the 'farable'.

+1 to this.

Do many of you normally read reddit?

What's Reddit?

More and more I'm falling out of touch with society. I don't have a tv, and don't read newspapers so miss most of the 'news'. I don't have a twit account and only
enter this forum and one other. I do have a FB account. That's about the extent of my online life.

Seems to me I'm not missing much.

Blacky

What's Reddit?

More and more I'm falling out of touch with society. I don't have a tv, and don't read newspapers so miss most of the 'news'. I don't have a twit account and only
enter this forum and one other. I do have a FB account. That's about the extent of my online life.

Blacky

The only TV i watch is AFL. I dont have FB, Twitter or newspapers, either.

So you're not that much different to me, there. This will have to change when I start my own business.

Anyway, Reddit is basically just a megaforum. It has "subreddits" which are for each topic and then each of those have threads are voted up or down (similar to FB but both like and dislike). So, if you go to the Reddit front page, it ranks 'threads' by its net number of likes.

The above-mentioned story about the 46 year old banker, was a link to a Reddit thread, that's why i asked.

No, both men and women can be unfaithful. Read the comments.

A 46 yo Australian banker would not speak like this:
"I had backpacking around New Zealand "
"needed to take that graduate job" (in Aus?)
"kept getting calls from my mom" (should be 'mum')
"I believe there were arguments upon my language and university/college or what not... I have made small efforts to pertain to Americans, as they are the main users, at least I assume."

Does that sound like a 46 yo banker to you?

Doesn't matter if it's real or not. Points raised are true. Go out and live life

But on your points
- Aussies backpacking around NZ seems normal enough to me
- Why not take a graduate job in Aus? I had to. Took one at 22 (or 21, can't remember now), put off travelling, gap years etc, even cut a year off my degree by overloading in summer/winter and was the first person in the university to do a 5 year double degree in 4;
- Ok the mum point is not bad. But maybe he's American but just didn't want people to identify him?

What's Reddit?

More and more I'm falling out of touch with society. I don't have a tv, and don't read newspapers so miss most of the 'news'.

Sounds good, a even better way is read only one month old newspapers that way by the time the event has happened it not a worry anymore,no F/B no TWIT,I also have none of those set-ups they all seems to me to be a unhealthy place for people hungry for small-scale attention from people all in the same boat...

What's Reddit?

Blacky

Blacky, you're not missing much at all. Reddit is a pretty misogynistic website with threads like this: http://www.reddit.com/r/PhilosophyOfRape

Blacky, you're not missing much at all. Reddit is a pretty misogynistic website with threads like this: http://www.reddit.com/r/PhilosophyOfRape

It's the internet, which means it is largely anonymous, which means plenty of idiots relish in being able to express warped views or hatred with no real repercussions.

That being said, it's not all bad.

The contents of each individual subreddit (and thus, reddit as a whole) is curated/generated solely by its users, and is largely dependent upon which subreddits you choose to subscribe to.

Reddit is simply just a voting machine. Users submit links or comments, which other users then "upvote" or "downvote".

In many subreddits, (including most of the major ones), there is definitely bias displayed. I'd presume this is because the average user would be a white male aged 16-35 and so views most commonly expressed reflect the average viewpoint from the average user.

There are a ton of interesting subreddits which can be subscribed to, that discuss a whole different range of topics. I tend to stay away from the "front page" or more popular subreddits, as I often find that the more subscribers a subreddit has, the poorer the quality.

Haven't read it - but am the same age and don't regret a thing ... I am where I am because of what choices were made in the past.

The past is the past and there is nothing I can do about it to change (sure there are things I would've done differently if I had my time again - but no point in lamenting)... the future is completely open and yet to be explored.

It's the internet, which means it is largely anonymous, which means plenty of idiots relish in being able to express warped views or hatred with no real repercussions.

That being said, it's not all bad.

The contents of each individual subreddit (and thus, reddit as a whole) is curated/generated solely by its users, and is largely dependent upon which subreddits you choose to subscribe to.

Reddit is simply just a voting machine. Users submit links or comments, which other users then "upvote" or "downvote".

In many subreddits, (including most of the major ones), there is definitely bias displayed. I'd presume this is because the average user would be a white male aged 16-35 and so views most commonly expressed reflect the average viewpoint from the average user.

There are a ton of interesting subreddits which can be subscribed to, that discuss a whole different range of topics. I tend to stay away from the "front page" or more popular subreddits, as I often find that the more subscribers a subreddit has, the poorer the quality.

That's interesting TV. I only know reddit as part of the manosphere, and I learned about the manosphere here on SS after someone was going on about 'alphas', 'betas', 'game', 'pua'. I then looked it up and was shocked.

When Julien Blanc came to Australia I got involved, and since then I have learned more than I want to know. All I have seen of the manosphere is sickening and depraved. The sad thing is that impressionable men, looking for guidance, are turning to these sites and PUA in their efforts to gain confidence. They get fed garbage, and then go out into the world acting like 'alphas' thinking that women are lucky to get raped. That is the disturbing part.

There are organisation doing great work for young men, but the manosphere doesn't have anything positive about it. It's filled with hateful misogyny operating under the guise of men's rights. There ARE men's issues that need dealing with such a suicide, but I haven't seen any manosphere blogger doing anything proactive or positive in that area; all they do is blame the problems of the world on women and come up with acronyms. I know that decent men are embarrassed by bloggers like Roosh, Elam, Heartiste, Northerner and too many others to mention.

The positive thing to come out of Julien Blanc is that the whole industry is getting a light shone on it and people are becoming aware.

That's interesting TV. I only know reddit as part of the manosphere, and I learned about the manosphere here on SS after someone was going on about 'alphas', 'betas', 'game', 'pua'. I then looked it up and was shocked.

When Julien Blanc came to Australia I got involved, and since then I have learned more than I want to know. All I have seen of the manosphere is sickening and depraved. The sad thing is that impressionable men, looking for guidance, are turning to these sites and PUA in their efforts to gain confidence. They get fed garbage, and then go out into the world acting like 'alphas' thinking that women are lucky to get raped. That is the disturbing part.

There are organisation doing great work for young men, but the manosphere doesn't have anything positive about it. It's filled with hateful misogyny operating under the guise of men's rights. There ARE men's issues that need dealing with such a suicide, but I haven't seen any manosphere blogger doing anything proactive or positive in that area; all they do is blame the problems of the world on women and come up with acronyms. I know that decent men are embarrassed by bloggers like Roosh, Elam, Heartiste, Northerner and too many others to mention.

The positive thing to come out of Julien Blanc is that the whole industry is getting a light shone on it and people are becoming aware.

Yes, unsurprisingly I am not generally a fan of the "pick-up artist" and their writings. I find it to be a bit narrow minded at best, and very damaging to people's attitudes towards relationships at worst. I think that people should learn how to communicate more effectively, both men and women, but I think PUA's go about it in the wrong way and usually for the wrong reasons.

We're getting sidetracked from the original intention of the thread though, so I reckon we should leave it there.

If people wish to discuss Pickup artistry and its merits or lack thereof, start a new thread.

As one final aside, if people are interested in viewing different (better) parts of reddit, try:
(Note: all subreddits url's should be prefixed with "www.reddit.com"

/r/todayilearned
/r/truereddit
/r/truetruereddit
/r/askscience
/r/anticonsumption
/r/frugal
/r/buyitforlife
/r/nonzeroday
/r/financialindependence

Reddit is basically humanity at its most honest. Imagine a huge hotel filled with people from all corners of the world, every one baring their souls (or outright making things up), without the masks we put on in public.

You'll find some of the strangest discussions in the world, but also some of the most interesting and intelligent, some of the most touching and poignant, and sometimes the downright hilarious.

Reddit is basically humanity at its most honest. Imagine a huge hotel filled with people from all corners of the world, every one baring their souls (or outright making things up), without the masks we put on in public.

You'll find some of the strangest discussions in the world, but also some of the most interesting and intelligent, some of the most touching and poignant, and sometimes the downright hilarious.

I'd disagree that it's humanity at its most honest. Statistically, it doesn't reflect an accurate "slice" of society. Its user base is comprised primarily of a few groups.

Stories like these (true or not, although I'm betting on not) is why I spend a bit of time each day (usually in the crapper) thinking over my life, what I've done, what to do next, etc.

I've recently done the whole quarter-life crisis thing, and it's given me the push to make my life more about living than just going thru the motions. Not just finding my passions, but actually following through to make them a reality.

Sadly, a lot of peers who go through a quarter-life just end up taking a round-the-world trip, then come back to the same old lives which led to their crisis in the first place. That's why these dunny sessions are so useful, since they force me to think over these issues every day.

To quote Mallrats, "Hate to tell you what I do on the toilet"

What's Reddit?

Blacky
We seem to have the same interactions with technowizardry.

*snip*
PG, why do you always dwell on the negative. I don't know whether this guys post mentioned any of that stuff (I couldn't read past the first few paragraphs, wah wah aplenty), but relax already. I enjoy different perspectives, and I agree there are plenty of douches out there, but I don't need to constantly hear about them.

It reads like bad fiction, obviously BS.

Even if his story were true, I don't find it particularly sad. A 46 year bemoaning that he never finished his novel or traveled the world to help homeless people? He sounds like a typical narcissistic 20 year old on Facebook.

Judging by the quality of writing in his post, his novel was going to be rubbish. And he wants to help homeless people? He could volunteer at his local Salvos or St Vinnies or donate some of his hard earned banker's dough. Not glamorous enough? Too mundane? Then he should shut up and stop whingeing.
Couldn't have said it better... self-entitled whining about how his life isn't what he dreamed it would be. Guess what? Most people's lives aren't. I didn't marry a rich woman with big knockers, so I could play golf all day, but what I have is far more satisfying and I wouldn't give up my wife or daughter for anything.

PG, why do you always dwell on the negative. I don't know whether this guys post mentioned any of that stuff (I couldn't read past the first few paragraphs, wah wah aplenty), but relax already. I enjoy different perspectives, and I agree there are plenty of douches out there, but I don't need to constantly hear about them.

Ya. Theres 5 million subreddits and she picked out 5 about **** stuff that probably don't even have a reader base.

why .. always dwell on the negative. .

Why is it okay for SS to be used as a forum for (some) men to b!t@h and whine about women having affairs or taking, or wanting to take, all their money? Why is it okay for some male posters to tell men to 'beware' of devious women? Is it any surprise that a woman gets defensive upon reading that?

Not one woman on SS has ever moaned about a man wiping her out, even though I'm sure it happens. Not one SS woman has ever given advice to other female posts to 'beware' of men and their devious ways. Not one woman on SS has started a thread about a man cheating. Not one woman on SS has started a thread posting from a feminist website.

Why do you say that? Because only men can be unfaithful?

Take things said on reddit with a grain of salt.

He won't release 70 page novel because it is "no longer me". Yeah, whatever.

Sounds like a time travel plot to movies like "Peggy sue got married" or "17 again" or that other one with Nicholas cage who had a high powered job and was given the chance to go back and reverse it all .. Can't remember the name

Back