TIFU - My regrets as a 46-year-old, and advice to others at a crossroad

TPHAplo.jpg

At least that's an improvement on Dex's cartoon with the caption 'Dead Women Can't Say No'. Jan Somers would be very proud.

Well, one thing l can say, it's that l have lived and most of my dreams and then some.
Because story or whatever, those feelings , the life , it is very common . Growing up in Melbourne l use to hear that sorta stuff from older people every day .
But it was the what l'm gonna do when l retire that use to fire me up because l'd think hell , why wait !

But hey the bankers gotta have more money than me hasn't he :eek:
And l have no clue what l might like to do when l retire because l've already done everything l ever wanted .
ps , do nothin maybe , that's something l haven't done enough of.

Last edited:
True story or not, it?s an important message. I chucked in a job in Switzerland after 10 years to live with my boys in Spain (we can?t return to Australia because of their mother). But it?s more than worth it, I spend much more time with them, and can learn Spanish properly. The "work hard play hard" mantra is the wrong way to go now in my book. I?m about the same age as the guy in the story but certainly don?t consider things too late or me too old.

So what do you think of Spain anyway as compared to if you could move back to Oz Jo. ?
I always thought Spain would be a beautiful place to live.

It reads like bad fiction, obviously BS.

Even if his story were true, I don't find it particularly sad. A 46 year bemoaning that he never finished his novel or traveled the world to help homeless people? He sounds like a typical narcissistic 20 year old on Facebook.

Judging by the quality of writing in his post, his novel was going to be rubbish. And he wants to help homeless people? He could volunteer at his local Salvos or St Vinnies or donate some of his hard earned banker's dough. Not glamorous enough? Too mundane? Then he should shut up and stop whingeing.

I really don't understand the appeal of the 'farable'.

That's all what l thought as l read it but even so at 46, as you say he could still do it all anyway.

Back