Tight @rze reno No. 2 - BV

Final outcome was $7713.00 for entire trip, including all my food, fuel, accommodation and materials.

I didn't factor in my own time, of course - which was no less than 15 hours per day for each of the 14 days; arrival day and leaving day not included (about another 15 hours combined for those two).

We finally received an application for a Tenant yesterday, at $310 per week.

Almost 2 months to the day since the unit was re-advertised....the Mining industry has slowed down, folks.

Last edited:
Nope :D

As a cheap R's reno, I'm guessing you crashed here with a swag and lived out of an esky or engel?

Had water been turned off (slowed) whilst vacant

Would've been nice when heater went in, can get bit chilly out there
I arranged for the electricity and water to be re-started before I left Melbourne.

The water was still flowing, so only had to get it in my name (must remember to stop them both).

When I got there (on Saturday), I turned on the kitchen tap hot water and almost no water came out. :eek: (over the time I was there, it gradually returned to full flow).

But; I went out the back and started to clean up the backyard on day one, and had a quick look at the hot water unit - which is relatively new - and did an overflow drain test to see if it was blocked etc.

It promptly blew a fuse, melted some wiring and I couldn't get the electrician around there until the Wednesday. It took him about 5 mins and $25 to fix it.

I said "Come off it; I won't give you less than $50 for a call out, you've gotta make some money, man!"....I finally convinced him to take the $50!

I set up a blow-up camp mattress (part of the expenses for the trip), sleeping bag and a few blankets on the floor in one of the bedrooms, had a large camping esky as a fridge (I already owned this from years ago) and just kept topping it up with ice from the IGA every few days.

I didn't discover the heater at Harvey Norman until the 2nd week. It was bloody cold at night - I was sleeping in my clothes as well.

In the mornings (my Melb body clock was waking me at a about 3.30-4.00am each day) I would turn on the electric stove oven for warmth while the coffee was brewing.

Once the work commenced I didn't need any heat, but yes; it was nice to have the heater there for the last few days..

Last edited:
Love the commitment to the tigharseness in this reno.
Im not sure i would commit to fitting kitchen cabinets myself, i just dont trust that i could level and gap them all properly.

Im good at screwing/bolting/nailing stuff to other stuff tho!!

Love the commitment to the tigharseness in this reno.
Im not sure i would commit to fitting kitchen cabinets myself, i just dont trust that i could level and gap them all properly.

Im good at screwing/bolting/nailing stuff to other stuff tho!!
It wasn't actually intended to be a conscious tight arze reno.

I was merely going to do what needed to be done, but not go mad in the process, and I knew I could do it much more cheaply than the rip-off builder quote.

I had the luxury of not having to do much which was structural other than the bathroom (shower). The rest was semi-minor repairs and painting the place.

The two most expensive items combined were the carpet and blinds, which I didn't personally do. The shower was really just a few sheets of a/c, the tiles, an inexpensive shower furniture set, glue and waterproofing compound, etc, plus my time.

With more time, I would have completely paved the rear courtyard instead of just a tidy-up, sourced more materials etc much more cheaply instead of doing the Bunnings run every other day, etc.

I did a more full-on reno with a decent chunk of structural work some years back in a unit we had in Highett. That one was approx $22k. Whole new kitchen and bathroom, built in robes, polished floors, carpet etc, swapped a few doors and took out a wall, new lighting etc. It really was gorgeous after the reno. In hindsight it was too much for a rental.

That was a mistake - held it for 3 years, got almost no CG, no rent increases to speak of and sold it for basically what it cost us after all monies spent.

Didn't want to sell it, but we were moving O/S and were unsure how that would go financially, so sold to lessen the pressure.

Last edited:
Totally interesting, a really good read. My son rented a unit for years where the water from the upstairs shower would literally pour down the lounge room wall, complete with some sort of black content. He reported it to the agent on a regular basis but nothing ever happened. I often wonder whether the shower ever fell through the floor.

Great work Bayview, it looks so much better. We do similar work to our properties, and you're right - everything takes a lot longer than you think it would!

Quick question, what colour did you paint the walls?

Great work Bayview, it looks so much better. We do similar work to our properties, and you're right - everything takes a lot longer than you think it would!

Quick question, what colour did you paint the walls?
The wall colour - and everything actually - is Portland Stone, which is a Taubmans or Dulux colour I think, from memory.

Sort of an earthy, warm, off-white colour. No yellow hue.

Brilliant work. I really love reading about truly tight **** renovations :)
Well done for all the dedication and hard work that has gone into this project. I always think that it is much more frugal to be able to be on site every day and get everything done. Camping out in the house is a great option :)

Is it all rented now?
No.

We had a tenant lined up, who were supposed to go in and sign the lease on Thurs.

Turns out they were able to stay longer where they currently live, apparently.

Now been vacant over 10 weeks since reno was completed and property advertised.

No.

We had a tenant lined up, who were supposed to go in and sign the lease on Thurs.

Turns out they were able to stay longer where they currently live, apparently.

Now been vacant over 10 weeks since reno was completed and property advertised.

That's no good. Have you tried any sweeteners like 1 or 2 weeks free?

That's no good. Have you tried any sweeteners like 1 or 2 weeks free?
Not as yet.

The initial rent was suggested at $350p/w by the PM, based on the position, condition, etc.

Then reduced to $330 p/w, then further reduced to $310p/w - current rent.

The lady next door pays $335 in an unrenovated, sorta run down version, so the level is not too high I would have thought.

As was said - reflection of the mining industry ATM.

Last edited:
Back