tile size- opinion wanted

Which of the following combination would you choose?

All same style/colour tiles just different tile size

For main bathroom
dimensions 2.7m by 2.9m
has shower base, bath and vanity.

300x300mm on floor
300x600mm on wall (horizontally tiled)

OR
300mmx600mm on the floor and the wall

Thanks!

gizmopb1

Last edited:
I can't stand diagonal on floors, and I personally really like horizontal rectangular tiles in that size. Plus diagonal is harder to tile.

At the end of the day it's personal preference, with those tile dimensions you wont go too far astray in any case

I would go option 1 with tiles vertical as well. (and the floor not in diagonal)
A couple of reasons. our tiler said that anything bigger than 300mm on the floor is complicated, particularly in the shower, and you end up doing lots of cuts.
Vertical tiles will mean that they match the 300mm floor tiles and can be done in line with them. I think they look a bit cooler done vertically.
We did exactly this, with a vertical strip of feature tiles.

Hi Gizmop,

Another 'NO don't do it' for the diamond look. Ana is right - very eighties and difficult to tile.

Go for 300x600mm tiles for both floors and walls - whether horizontal or vertical will look great.

FYI a tile laid vertically on a wall will give you a subtle perception of increased ceiling height. And a horizontally laid tile will visually stretch the width of a room.

You don't seem to have any size issues in the bathroom hence you could choose either way.

Having a seamless look (same floor colour as wall colour) will also give you a bigger looking space.

Make sure you post some photos when you're done!

Another vote for square on the floor and vertical on the walls.

As to diamonds, we did our entire last house diamonds on the floor. It works really well when you have a house where the rooms are considerably NOT square. If you lay the tiles straight in a not-square room you get two sides of the room with a thin wedge of cut tiles and it looks awful. With diamonds in a not-square room you get to use all the offcuts somewhere else and get almost no waste and noone can tell how unsquare the room is :)

And I removed some white and blue diamond tiling in this house and replaced with straight just to make good with my tiling karma.

Go for 300x600mm tiles for both floors and walls - whether horizontal or vertical will look great.

FYI a tile laid vertically on a wall will give you a subtle perception of increased ceiling height. And a horizontally laid tile will visually stretch the width of a room.

Definitely agree. Match up the joins between the floor & the wall. I also like this when the you use the same 300x600 tile but with a darker colour on the floor (if the bathroom is not really small - which yours isn't).

Back