Tiled Villaboard Cladding & Colorbond Renovation

Hi Folks,

I've seen some nice architecture lately that would be pretty cheap to do for reno purposes. Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this:

A lot of commercial building use "architectural building panels". They are often made from Alluminium. They look great but are very pricey. The other day I saw a couple of examples that get a similar looking result but just use Villaboard sheets. The first 2 photos are of a concrete building where this I think has just been done for effect. The second example is from a public school built a few months ago that is not concrete (even though it looks like it). I think this must be a standard Education Department design because I saw another exactly the same somewhere else. They are painted with a textured paint that gives a rendered appearance. To me it looks very smart.

The other thing I love is Colorbond for both roofing & cladding. It's also very cheap & easy to install.

What I was thinking of doing is finding an asbestos house & re-cladding it with a mix of Villaboard & Colorbond. It's been suggested that you don't need to remove the asbestos sheets, you simply screw the new cladding over the top. I'd prefer a house with a 'Skillion" type roof just because that can look a bit more modern than a Gable type. I would certainly re-do the roof in Colorbond (not sure how much work it is to remove tiles). My only concern is that you don't get to insulate the walls but I would do ceiling at least.

I think you do a 3 bedroom place for $20K. If you didn't have to spend too much more on this inside. then I think this could turn a reasonable profit.

Lee.

Attachments

• TiledVillaboardExample.jpg
    TiledVillaboardExample.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 594
  • TileVillaboardExampleCloseup.jpg
    TileVillaboardExampleCloseup.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,112
  • TiledVillaboard&ColourbondClassroom.jpg
    TiledVillaboard&ColourbondClassroom.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 642
Hi Folks,

I've seen some nice architecture lately that would be pretty cheap to do for reno purposes. Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this:

A lot of commercial building use "architectural building panels". They are often made from Alluminium. They look great but are very pricey. The other day I saw a couple of examples that get a similar looking result but just use Villaboard sheets. The first 2 photos are of a concrete building where this I think has just been done for effect. The second example is from a public school built a few months ago that is not concrete (even though it looks like it). I think this must be a standard Education Department design because I saw another exactly the same somewhere else. They are painted with a textured paint that gives a rendered appearance. To me it looks very smart.

The other thing I love is Colorbond for both roofing & cladding. It's also very cheap & easy to install.

What I was thinking of doing is finding an asbestos house & re-cladding it with a mix of Villaboard & Colorbond. It's been suggested that you don't need to remove the asbestos sheets, you simply screw the new cladding over the top. I'd prefer a house with a 'Skillion" type roof just because that can look a bit more modern than a Gable type. I would certainly re-do the roof in Colorbond (not sure how much work it is to remove tiles). My only concern is that you don't get to insulate the walls but I would do ceiling at least.

I think you do a 3 bedroom place for $20K. If you didn't have to spend too much more on this inside. then I think this could turn a reasonable profit.

Lee.

Hi Lee,

Why not remove the asbestos and insulate the walls while you are at it?

Have you looked into CSR Hebel blocks? Easy to install and great thermal & sound insulation. It's very popular in Europe.

-Pat

I've also thought of this but haven't looked too far into it. I have a fibro home sitting in rural nsw that is happily giving me an income, but the thought of cladding it has cross my mind a few times. I was thinking of basically putting some type of boarding over the fibro it to improve both its looks and value and possibly give a few more years on it.

Has anyone does this?

Thanks

g

Just beware of the sleeping asbestos issue.

There has been talk in some states of any house for sale having to have an "asbestos-free" certification.

In the long run, covering instead of removing may be false economy.
Marg

Back