Tiles on forth floor apartment - noise concerns

Hi All,

I have done some searches but was hoping for a direct answer to this query. Hopefully it doesn't repeat what has already been posted.

I am looking to install tiles but am concerned about tiles causing excess noise, affecting people downstairs. When I asked the tiler would do the installation, he responded that because my floor is concrete, it won't be an issue. As I understand it, he is simply going to glue the tiles directly to the concrete floor.

I know him through a friend who vouches for him who tells me that he has installed tiles on many apartments and multistories houses. I trust my friend, but doing more searches and reading about people talking about cork underlays etc makes me a paranoid.

Any thoughts?

JTB, I would contact body corporate to see if they have any "rules" regarding tiles. you may find (as my friend did) that they have certain preparations or underlays or noise control in mind, can still lay the tiles, no problem, but they HAD to have a certain underlay to reduce noise for the people underneath.

Or alternatively, when you've made a decision go to body corporate and tell them what your doing and get their OK. That way if any complaints or problems arise after the floor is laid, then you can refer back to that initial approval... (buck passing is the common term I reckon)

Just my 2c

Thanks for the response luvvit, I have contacted the body corporate and their response was a pretty generic one that basically stated that the installation of the new floor should not those around me.. something like that

I did ask if they had details of products I should use etc, but was not given any.

EDIT - found the document:
"an owner of a lot must ensure that all floor space within the lot is covered or otherwise treated to an extent sufficient to prevent the transmission from the floor space of noise likely to distrub the peaceful enjoyment of the owner or occupier of the lot"

I'm sure that helps!! Too late to find out after the tiles are done that it's not "treated to an extent sufficient"!!

Not sure if you are being sarcastic wobbycarly - but that's exactly how I feel...

the good thing is that the floor looks to be about 200mm thick based on the the thickness of the stairs/floor outside... so hopefully that means sound is less likely to travel through the floor.

Plus the otherday I was outside the apartment and music was blaring from the next door, but as soon as I shut the door I could barely hear it.

Hi All,

I have done some searches but was hoping for a direct answer to this query. Hopefully it doesn't repeat what has already been posted.

I am looking to install tiles but am concerned about tiles causing excess noise, affecting people downstairs. When I asked the tiler would do the installation, he responded that because my floor is concrete, it won't be an issue. As I understand it, he is simply going to glue the tiles directly to the concrete floor.

I know him through a friend who vouches for him who tells me that he has installed tiles on many apartments and multistories houses. I trust my friend, but doing more searches and reading about people talking about cork underlays etc makes me a paranoid.

Any thoughts?

it can be noisy with moving of the furniture especially if you wear shoes into the apartment.
personally - i wouldn't use tiles unless i live in queensland. it can get kind of cold. in melb - there is one apartment (inner city) on the market for 1+ year coz of the tiles.

JTB,
Our units have tiles laid directly on the concrete floor (recently upgrading from carpet) BUT our ceilings have (according to the specs of the building)
CEILINGS Texture finish (whispertex or similar) with plaster cornice. Sound rated plaster board to dropped ceiling in wet areas.

Since the tiles went in upstairs I am not aware of anymore noise than when the carpet was there (Unless they drop a plate or something :) )

I tried to google "whispertex" and didn't find anything that looked familiar :confused: Our units are about 10 years old and the ceilings are that textured "bumpy" plaster stuff :rolleyes:

Does anyone else know "whispertex" is/was??

Thx for the response jcwc888, I normally walk around in bare feet, but am concerned about noise because I know I will end up renting the place out some time down the track and requiring tenants to walk around with out shoes probably wont go down too well...

Regarding the cold, I'm looking at having a lot of rugs around :).

Thx also Moyjos (didn't see your post till I posted this). I'll have alook at my ceiling when I go back in... From memory it was pretty flat though...

EDIT: http://hytex.com/whispertex/index.html - not sure if it's the same thing...

Thx for the response jcwc888, I normally walk around in bare feet, but am concerned about noise because I know I will end up renting the place out some time down the track and requiring tenants to walk around with out shoes probably wont go down too well...

Regarding the cold, I'm looking at having a lot of rugs around :).

Thx also Moyjos (didn't see your post till I posted this). I'll have alook at my ceiling when I go back in... From memory it was pretty flat though...

EDIT: http://hytex.com/whispertex/index.html - not sure if it's the same thing...

you might want to double check with the council. normally the body corporate should give some guidelines on what they deemed acceptable etc.

Back