Tiling... am I being ripped???

Just got a quote for tiling in my PPOR bathroom and toilet (separate but next to each other):

JOB DESCRIPTION
Remove existing tiles and vinyl . Resheet toilet floor ready for tiling.
4 sqm of tiling
PRICE $500.00
GST $50.00
TOTAL $550.00

The tiler pulled up a couple of the existing tiles to check they would come up cleanly and easily, which they did. He also said there was no sloping/angle in the bathroom towards the drain (which I assume makes it easier). Also I am going to have a plumber remove the toilet the day before-hand so the only cutting will be around the toilet outlet/drain. Furthermore, in the bathroom the vanity is wall-mounted so minimal cutting is required.

Now I understand that it's not fair to go on the usual sqm rate for small jobs, but is $137.50/sqm too much (this doesn't include the 5 sqm of tiles I will purchase)?? :confused:

Am I being ripped??

Lukey

we got a tender to redo 2 baths totalling and a seperate toilet just under 50 sqs all up. And it included full regrout of the downstairs - scraping out the old stuff around the tiles as its got little pock marks in it. Thats probably another 30 sqs or so.

For $550 I wouldnt bat an eye

Toilet is easy to do - our your tiler will do it themselves. Four bolts at the base, turn off the water first and flush it out. You should be able to google how to do it.

What you may need to come up with is the circular coupling for the toilet depending if it flows back into the wall or into the ground and what the tiler is going to do around that area.

You just never know with tilers - do you?

Have a six pack of V's or Red Bull on hand as well - tilers seem to like em!

Ask him how long it will take and work out his hourly rate.

Should be about $50/hr. So, should take him a day or a bit less to tile and an hour or two next day to grout and clean up.

Also ask him if he wants you to pay for glue & grout on top of his labor price. Some do, some include it in the price.

Beside that get a couple more quotes (as Lily says) but the price doesn't look to bad to me.

He also said there was no sloping/angle in the bathroom towards the drain (which I assume makes it easier).

No makes it harder IMHO.

Is the tiler supplying the cement, sand & grout etc?

Eg. Lay a bed of sharp sand & cement, slightly moist mix. Lay it with your levels and falls to grate. When that dries you can glue tiles down.

Regards
Sheryn

No makes it harder IMHO.

Is the tiler supplying the cement, sand & grout etc?

Eg. Lay a bed of sharp sand & cement, slightly moist mix. Lay it with your levels and falls to grate. When that dries you can glue tiles down.

Regards
Sheryn

As far as I know this includes all materials as the tiler had to get a price on the undersheeting before providing the quote.

Thanks everyone for their input. I just wanted a rough idea of whether this was in the right ball park.

I've gone ahead with this first quote and managed a $70 discount off this price also. Looks like I'm doing some tile shopping on the weekend.

Hi Lukey
Thats is a pretty spot-on price (especially with the discount), the main thing is that a good job was done. I paid 3 times that for a bathroom of 5 square meters, plus stepless shower base (screeded) and the largest wall tiled.
cheers

Asbestos a problem?

About 1.5 sqm of the job (the toilet part) is vinyl tiles.

The tiler pulled up a little bit that's broken off and dismissed the possibility of asbestos, however he didn't sound too sure.

The house is late 1960s and I'm guessing that the vinyl tiles are original. You know the light beige marble type that seemed to be around everywhere in the 80s?

Should I be concerned?

Just got a quote for tiling in my PPOR bathroom and toilet (separate but next to each other):

JOB DESCRIPTION
Remove existing tiles and vinyl . Resheet toilet floor ready for tiling.
4 sqm of tiling
PRICE $500.00
GST $50.00
TOTAL $550.00

The tiler pulled up a couple of the existing tiles to check they would come up cleanly and easily, which they did. He also said there was no sloping/angle in the bathroom towards the drain (which I assume makes it easier). Also I am going to have a plumber remove the toilet the day before-hand so the only cutting will be around the toilet outlet/drain. Furthermore, in the bathroom the vanity is wall-mounted so minimal cutting is required.

Now I understand that it's not fair to go on the usual sqm rate for small jobs, but is $137.50/sqm too much (this doesn't include the 5 sqm of tiles I will purchase)?? :confused:

Am I being ripped??

the drain needs to have a fall so i gather he could be putting a fall in the bathroom to the floor waste, and the new toilet should be fitted after the new tiles have been laid, and this should include a wet seal about 6 inchs up the walls as well.
perhaps the only way for you to get an understanding if your being ripped off is to do it your self, think how much the materials are the time taken and then remove tax, then pay for your fuel and other buisiness expenses, and count your profits, then ask your self if you would do the job for that, in the ACT you would'nt get a tradie in for less than $900 a day, be happy it is so cheap.

If the existing toilet sits under the finished tile level and you expect the new toilet to sit on top of the new finished tile level AND you have a toilet waste that goes into a wall (as opposed to going into the floor), be careful....the toilet may not match up to the waste pipe due to the toilet being raised up by around 10mm due to tile & glue.

I have learned this lesson the hard way....

Glenn

the drain needs to have a fall so i gather he could be putting a fall in the bathroom to the floor waste, and the new toilet should be fitted after the new tiles have been laid, and this should include a wet seal about 6 inchs up the walls as well.
perhaps the only way for you to get an understanding if your being ripped off is to do it your self, think how much the materials are the time taken and then remove tax, then pay for your fuel and other buisiness expenses, and count your profits, then ask your self if you would do the job for that, in the ACT you would'nt get a tradie in for less than $900 a day, be happy it is so cheap.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with that price now. Just wanted to get a rough idea from others that it wasn't too far off the mark. And of course I wouldn't want to do it myself as I now consider that unless somebody charges more than what I charge in my profession it's false economy to do it myself.

If the existing toilet sits under the finished tile level and you expect the new toilet to sit on top of the new finished tile level AND you have a toilet waste that goes into a wall (as opposed to going into the floor), be careful....the toilet may not match up to the waste pipe due to the toilet being raised up by around 10mm due to tile & glue.

Glenn

Yes unfortunately we sometimes learn the hard way! I guess it makes it all the more satisfying when things go ahead smoothly.

Indeed I am having the toilet put on top of the new tiles however the waste goes into the floor fortunately.

One other thing.... if you are buying a new toilet you still need to be very careful with your measurement from the wall to the pipe through the floor. We bought new toilets when we renovated our bathrooms and we were very restricted as to what toilets would fit over the top of the existing pipework. Our plumber gave us a measurement from the finished tiled wall to the centre of the floor pipe and we had to chose a toilet that would fit.

Glenn

then you know what an offset pan coller/or flexable sleve is for now!

One other thing.... if you are buying a new toilet you still need to be very careful with your measurement from the wall to the pipe through the floor. We bought new toilets when we renovated our bathrooms and we were very restricted as to what toilets would fit over the top of the existing pipework. Our plumber gave us a measurement from the finished tiled wall to the centre of the floor pipe and we had to chose a toilet that would fit.

yes wylie this is true however if the existin pipes were clay they usually, cut the height at the floor height/or replace the old with new PVC the new slide intype pan coller comes with a 20mm offset and can be swiveled around to fit.
Going off memory the w/c sizes are 170mm and 190mm and using the 20mm offset collers this gives you a range from 150mm to 210mm from the wall and all measurements are to center of the pipes, cheers guys i hope this helps you all.

Yes unfortunately we sometimes learn the hard way! I guess it makes it all the more satisfying when things go ahead smoothly.

Indeed I am having the toilet put on top of the new tiles however the waste goes into the floor fortunately.

if i were him, i would've charged you $800. You do not understand a new job (new concrete floor) and the difference of removing and retiling.

Back