floor 300 by 300mm
wall 300 by 600mm

50 sq m

Tiler said he would
screed
put up the plaster boards/blue boards
waterproof
tile and grout

I am providing the tile, the adhesive, and the grout.

If I went with cement sheet, it will be 110/sq m.

He insisted that he will do a good job, but when asked what happens if I am not happy, would he fix it up
he replied that he will do a good job and that I don't trust him and that he can foresee problems (all the while edging further away) working with me...

I am reluctant to hire someone who cannot say that he will fix it if it's not good enough, even when he is so confident of his abilities!

Another question I have is, what gap grout line- 1.5mm or 3mm for polished porcelain? This tiler will do 3mm only.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I cannot answer your query regarding costings or sundrys. I would run a mile with his attitude to your perfectly reasonable question. There is the possibly he could have been afronted by your question, guess not many people would ask that one. Listen to your gut if it is saying run away, run.

I do know they charge more for porcelain laying.

Itemise the value of works. Obviously this isnt a straight tile job, there are some elements of construction there to be considered - so why don't you find out what the cost of each individual task is, and go from there

I can personally pay a tiler to lay porcelain in that size $25/m. I can buy them for $25-60/m locally, or $10/m imported. Glue can be expensive for porcelain, but not insanely so. If the floor isnt level, there may be levelling required. A good place to start would be to get a handyman/carpenter to price up how much it would cost you to get to the stage where you can lay tiles, and then take your pencil out and chop the job up.

I tend to stay away from all inclusive jobs myself, and tend towards labour rates. Then again, I wouldn't suggest to a non builder to start running crews.

cheerios

My biggest concern is your line "He insisted that he will do a good job, but when asked what happens if I am not happy, would he fix it up
".

Have you seen this tilers work, or had someone who's judgement you trust use him? Where did you find him? I hope not through the local paper with the tilers self recommendation :confused:.

Porcelain does cost more, but also requires a tiler with good experience laying it, as even slightly poor workmanship tends to show (much more than with other tiles).

Get another quote. My warning signal is that he'll only do 3mm grout joins - not acceptable. If you have paid the $ for rectified porcelain (and I assume you have bought decent quality) 9 out of 10 will tell you that they should be laid with 1.5mm gap. Even i have laid porcelain (300 x 300) with 1.5mm. if he's not prepared to make this effort kick him to the curb.

Get another quote. My warning signal is that he'll only do 3mm grout joins - not acceptable. If you have paid the $ for rectified porcelain (and I assume you have bought decent quality) 9 out of 10 will tell you that they should be laid with 1.5mm gap. Even i have laid porcelain (300 x 300) with 1.5mm. if he's not prepared to make this effort kick him to the curb.

Absolutely agree.

The reason he wants a bigger gap is so that he can cover up a bad job.

Basically he can fudge the job more easily with bigger gaps.

Get some more quotes because his price is over the top.

As OA has indicated break the job down.

Seems like a bathroom that you are redoing??

Looks to me like you need to reline the room. Water proof the walls and floor. Put down a screed bed (cement/sand) possibly over wood based, on the ability to put down cement sheet. And then tile the lot.

We pay about $25 psm for the tiling (including screeding on the floor) in this sort of situation but that is without the waterproofing or relining, both of which we do ourselves.

Even a standard tiler would only charge about $40-50 per sqm so you are paying about $50+ for the building/waterproofing aspects of the job.

Cheers

I'm in the process of tiling agreed price for 60x60 which includes screed the floor to ensure level result and white grout $30 sq and he's great full to do the job.

KAMBO, I find just going to Beaumont is best for most of the cheap stuff -especially when on sale (which is often). I have bought extremely cheap tiles from auction houses in the past but you'd really need to be on a shoestring reno to warrant it, IMO. Unless perhaps going there to buy granite tiles or something. Beauty of using a cheap chain store is that you can still pay $20-$30 per metre plus have the warranty back-up if things go wrong. I had to return a couple of pallets of 300x600 porcelain once after finding mould in some boxes (not unusual when coming in on the deck from China). With auctions etc you take the risk.

For high end stuff or something a bit unusual I like Di Fazio in Brunswick.

Edit: Just remembered. Depending where you are, also check out Mingarelli tiles in Moorabbin. I have also bought some lovely porcelain there for reasonable prices. I find as a rule that tiles is an area that you tend to get what you pay for.

Porcelain or rectified tiles are significantly more expensive to install than ceramic because the edges are sharp and generally get laid with the 1.5mm gap, that means even the slightest discrepancy sticks out like a sore thumb. The walls have to be straight as an arrow to start with or the tiler will have a nightmare on his hands.

I don't know how people are getting tilers for $25/$30 m2, I assume there must be wads of cash floating around. I pay $50 upwards to get a pro.

It's a bit too hard to say whether the price is right based on the info, I mean is he finish plastering and cornicing? what is the actual meterage and how high are the walls and how high do the tiles go blah blah. Floors also have bedding costs as opposed to walls.

Regardless of price, his reply to your request is outrageous, I am picturing the alcoholic little monkey. The least he could do is assure you that everything will be great, but ideally run you through the protection you will have under the contract. Unless there are wads of cash floating around your job too. Barr him. Then again, maybe you are going to be a pain in his ***. I often think it but never say it. I use overquoting to say it.

Porcelain or rectified tiles are significantly more expensive to install than ceramic because the edges are sharp and generally get laid with the 1.5mm gap, that means even the slightest discrepancy sticks out like a sore thumb. The walls have to be straight as an arrow to start with or the tiler will have a nightmare on his hands.

I don't know how people are getting tilers for $25/$30 m2, I assume there must be wads of cash floating around. I pay $50 upwards to get a pro.

It's a bit too hard to say whether the price is right based on the info, I mean is he finish plastering and cornicing? what is the actual meterage and how high are the walls and how high do the tiles go blah blah. Floors also have bedding costs as opposed to walls.

Regardless of price, his reply to your request is outrageous, I am picturing the alcoholic little monkey. The least he could do is assure you that everything will be great, but ideally run you through the protection you will have under the contract. Unless there are wads of cash floating around your job too. Barr him. Then again, maybe you are going to be a pain in his ***. I often think it but never say it. I use overquoting to say it.

agreed a decent tiler charging $25 m2 would have to be an afgani/ iraqi straight out of detention centre/ boat

On a recent job our usual tiler was on holidays... ended up getting 5 quotes and they varied significantly... and yes i agree that $25m2 is unheard of... $60 - $80m2 isn't unreasonable for great tilers. Best bet is to go to where you purchased the tiles and ask for 3 recommendations.... don't use the phone book or newspapers :) also ...Attitude is everything, if you can't work with someone during quoting, move on to the next one :)

One tiler cant do job til after christmas, next one wont lay porcelain at all. Next one wants $300 for each shower base (we have 3). And I thought just choosing tiles was hard.

Back