Tiling Design Question

For all you interior designers out there, I am looking at throwing down some new tiles in the bathroom to give it a bit of a spruce up.

Going through some tile shops today, apparently the Mocha and chocolates are on their way out and the 'greys'...yes greys are coming into fashion.....Well, I'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway, I have chosen my Mocha colour, but am trying to figure out whether it is best with a large tile or a smaller tile. (i.e. a 200 x 200, or a 400 x 400, and should they be square or rectangular).

I kind of thought, that as the bathroom is fairly squarish (i.e. not long and narrow), that I could use the rectangular ones?

As I will use about 3m2 of bathroom floor tiles, should there be a rule of thumb for small or large tiles. (I kind of thought the larger the tile would make a fairly small room look larger)

Any validity in my thoughts, or am I completely in need of design school.

Thanks in advance,

F

For all you interior designers out there, I am looking at throwing down some new tiles in the bathroom to give it a bit of a spruce up.

Going through some tile shops today, apparently the Mocha and chocolates are on their way out and the 'greys'...yes greys are coming into fashion.....Well, I'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway, I have chosen my Mocha colour, but am trying to figure out whether it is best with a large tile or a smaller tile. (i.e. a 200 x 200, or a 400 x 400, and should they be square or rectangular).

I kind of thought, that as the bathroom is fairly squarish (i.e. not long and narrow), that I could use the rectangular ones?

As I will use about 3m2 of bathroom floor tiles, should there be a rule of thumb for small or large tiles. (I kind of thought the larger the tile would make a fairly small room look larger)

Any validity in my thoughts, or am I completely in need of design school.

Thanks in advance,

F

Maybe the sales people are saying this because they have been caught with truckloads of grey, and have sold out of mocha. ;)

For mine; grey is never in fashion. It looks drab and cold. I will never use it, no matter what the herd thinks.

But then again; never cared what the herd thinks as you all know.... :D

Larger tiles take less work to lay; less grout and less cuts.

For what it's worth, we are using 40 x 40 Mocha tiles on the floor in our PPoR reno, 30 x 45 vanilla tiles on the walls. There will also be some accent tiles, but a small amount.

I will have some pics in the near (maybe not so near :eek:) future on my thread:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55107

As long as they are a tasteful shade, and not too chocolaty or mission brownish, they will pretty much never go out of fashion.

Built many bathrooms, and what i have learned, is when i use the smallet tiles its easier to use the smaller ie 200x200 because the floor waste and shower wast require a small fall, as tiles do not bend very well the smaller they are would prevent the tile edges sticking up at the corners,
PS i also tile the floor at 45 degrees and tile the walles square looks great , and similar wastage, and the tile grout needs not to line up, :)

We subscribe to the school of boring.

I have 200x200 white (yes! white! how ... exotic!) wall tiles and something that could probably be described as a medium mocha/beige/brown/whatever in 320x320 on the floor. I would have done the floor diagonal like the rest of the house but the bathroom has steps in it so there was a lot less cutting doing it square. The painted walls are "antique white" which is actually a very dark cream, and the door and venetian blind in there are natural timber. The bathroom is about 4.3 long x 3.6m high x 3m wide so I can get away with darker colours.

It would look good but the bath is bright green, and the tile shop had sold out of accent tiles in the same green so I didn't bother. I'm planning on doing the same neutral colour scheme in tiles here - white walls, light brown floor, but painting the walls white. Fortunately I have a white bath to work with here.

We subscribe to the school of boring.

I have 200x200 white (yes! white! how ... exotic!)

I love white! :D

I subscribe to the school of 'what I like', not what everyone tells me to like. It never goes out of fashion then (to me). Fashion is for people who don't know what their own taste is. :)

Can't remember who said it (I think it was during a reno kings workshop) "Chose any colour your like for the bathroom, as long as it's white" :D

kaf

Tell that to the people who installed my green bath :mad:

And the house isn't worth enough to replace it or bother with White Knight paint either, so green it stays.

Another vote for white. Are we voting?

It just never gets dirty. No, honest I'm not crazy! Because it's white you see the little marks and wipe them off. In four years I have never cleaned that bathroom top to bottom - I just go over the glass on the shower and the mirror once a week (or fortnight :eek:) and vacuum. It looks as good as the day the tiler finished!

I subscribe to the school of 'what I like', not what everyone tells me to like. It never goes out of fashion then (to me). Fashion is for people who don't know what their own taste is. :)

Yeah, was a bit surprised of the grey suggestion by Tile City, but hey, Bayview might have the correct assessment of it, and the shop might have heaps of greys in storeroom.

Anyway, I have chosen a 'mocha', but do need to keep in mind that the colour shouldn't be too much 'off the cuff' and out there. This PPOR will be on the market in a year or two. (I like Mocha anyway).

More interested in big or small.......in order to make the appearance look larger.

Thansk for all posts.

Cheers,

F

We are in the process of renoing out bathroom/laundry.

I have gone for white wall tiles 250 x 330 with a row of small mosaic grey/green tiles around the edge (Tiler thought they were very 90's, but I like them!!) as a feature and large grey/green floor tiles.
As our bathroom is only 2350 x 1600 we are not having a bath and are going for a large shower with frameless screen.
I will post pics in a new thread when we start.

More interested in big or small.......in order to make the appearance look larger.
Just keep it in proportion. If your bathroom is truly miniscule, if you use teeny tiny tiles (I'm thinking mosaic tiles that are about 3cm) it'll make the room look smaller. Ditto for dark colours - you'd want a reasonably light floor colour too. Don't use any decorative strips or multicoloured mosaics in a very small bathroom, it'll make it seem smaller. Normal sized bathroom? Go for it, in moderation.

Diagonal tiles on the floor look very nice, either plain tiles in a diagonal pattern or those old fashioned ones with little diamonds in the centres, if you get what I mean. You don't want to use any layout *other* than diagonal if you are cursed with rooms that are not square, diagonal makes the non-squareness less obvious.

But otherwise, its about scale. In a tiny bathroom you can't really get away with 60cm tiles as you won't be able to see a full tile, but 20cm tiles would be fine on the floor and ones that are a bit smaller (maybe the 10x20cm brick shaped ones) on the walls. In a huge bathroom 20cm tiles might seem too small - I have 32cm tiles in my huge bathroom on the floor and it would have looked better with 40cm ones in a darker colour and pretty much any size on the walls. I tiled up to about 2.2m high in there - way higher than the shower rose - because it looks so wrong having low lines in a room with high ceilings.

I have the same problem with furniture in that house too, cupboards under 6 foot look bizarre and small furniture looks microscopic in such large spaces. I kind of compensated by hanging really enormous prints and paintings up very high to break up the expanse of high, empty walls.

Back