Tilting brick wall

Just recently noticed my front wall has started to tilt.
Theres basically 50cm of soil pushin behind it, and durin the last down pour, it seems to be getting worse :mad:

Theres also approx 5mm of movement.

How can i do about it? And approximately how much would it cost to fix?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!! :)

IMG_8276.jpg

IMG_8277.jpg

IMG_8279.jpg

Well I am no engineer.

ooks to me that it is because the wall is being pushed by the weight of the dirt behind it. Thie suggests one or both of two things has happened.

The weight has increased and/or the wall has weakened.

Perhaps the answer is to remove some of the weight behind it. Dig along the inside of the wall and remove some soil. Maybe drainage is an issue? I imagine waterloged soil sfar heavier?

I would recommend you get someone in for a quote on repairs. A the least they will tell you what is wrong.

Cheers and good luck.

Wiseguy said:
Just recently noticed my front wall has started to tilt.
Theres basically 50cm of soil pushin behind it, and durin the last down pour, it seems to be getting worse :mad:

I'd be getting that thing demolished TODAY, its potentially dangerous.

My guess is that tree roots are pushing the wall over. From your pictures it appears that the rest of the wall is OK and I think I see a largish tree behind the tilting wall. If the tree is to blame then the offending root will have to be excavated or chopped away. Big job. Roots will continue to heave the wall over as they develop.

Wiseguy,
the photos tell the story,once the brick walls start to slip
then imho,the cheapest way is to hire a large bin and buy yourself a
large sledgehammer and knock the fence over,try and save the trees
and install a high hardwood fence,paint over all the old stonework..
good luck
willair..

Get a fencing bloke who will remove it with a bobcat. Then gently taper the soil back into a slight slope.

Put in a timber fence, or brick piers and some nice ironwork or aluminium in between. A nice bit of wrought iron could add value to your property but it doesn't come cheap.

Lplate

As an afterthought, while the bobcat is there I'd sort out any other other aged or distressed looking garden landscaping features.

Hi Wiseguy,

Here is my tightass solution:

1. Have wife prepare you a big breakfast of bacon, egg & sausage

2. Eat said breakfast

3. Grab long handled shovel and dig soil away from inside of wall, testing the stability of the wall continually as the sooner you get to stop digging the better! You may have to go down to foundation of the wall (if any...this could be the problem in itself)

4. Locate, cut and remove any tree roots

5. Push wall back to upright position (be very careful with this, don't just blast away, but FEEL the wall as you push....you will be able to see and feel if you are going to crack a mortar joint anywhere.....if this is going to happen, go back to step 3)

6. Backfill soil

7. Bask in the glory of one very erect wall

Good luck

Glenn

Glenn said:
1. Have wife prepare you a big breakfast of bacon, egg & sausage
Prepare your own brekky, give wife brekky in bed, fix the walls- and bask in the super helping of brownie points :D

But, GeoffW, if Wife is in bed who will see the wall being fixed? And if no-one sees it - did it really happen? (The old tree falling in the forest........)

:D Medine.

Medine said:
But, GeoffW, if Wife is in bed who will see the wall being fixed? And if no-one sees it - did it really happen? (The old tree falling in the forest........)
Wife will be a pushover... the same as the wall.

Last edited:
Cheapest approach is to let wife and her friends talk about solutions to the wall. After a couple of hours they will be convinced they have fixed it.

........Which leaves YOUR attitude to the wall as the real problem that needs fixing......... Easily solved! Just admit you have a communication problem and will be more flexible and accepting in the future.

Now go back to drinking beer.

I would do what Glenn suggests plus strengthening the foundation with a trench of reinforcing metal rods and concrete. If tree roots are a problem, they may have to be cut back. If you have a corrugated or flat piece of metal, it could provide a vertical shield for the wall footing. The objective is to make it difficult for the roots to crack the foundation. Avoid water collecting behind the wall. Allow a 'weep' hole for any excess water to drain away. As someone suggests, reducing the amount of soil behind the wall also helps.

Back