Timber floor dilemma

I am half way through a small Reno mainly new kitchen and adding a fed walls. Which is nearly completed. Next phase is the floor boards. Now the house has the original jarrah floor board which are covered in carpet and I am planning on ripping up the carpet and sanding and polishing the boards.
So since the house was built they did an extension and added two sections to the house.
The original house has floor boards on joists and the extension they put in concrete slabs. But they put the level of the concrete slab at the same level of the finished floor boards.

So what are the options. If I put the new floor boards on the concrete I will have a 15mm step up in a main walk way.
Other option would be to polish the concrete and have two different floors. Any thoughts on how that would look.

Or is there any other options

I have the boards already I just want to see if there's any way to disguise the different levels or is it better to polish the floor

Put another new timber floor over the existing timber floor. You will be paying a couple of thousand anyway to sand and polish the old boards.

This way you will have a new floor throughout the house that all match.

Your dilemma is that if you put floating floor or new floorboards over the concrete, you'll have a funny little step up, right?
I guess I'd seriously consider doing the polished concrete. Then you could put a runner/carpet along the hallway to bring it together if you feel you need to. Or the variation might fit in fine because the concrete is related to the rest of the new area anyway.
Photos?

It's common for there to be different levels of flooring. For example a timber floor house will often have a 15mm step up into the bathroom because it transitions into tiled floors.

I wouldnt worry about the step up. Just get the aluminium edge piece that finisheds off the edge and it should be fine.

Back