Timber Flooring

Anyone has information about reasonable cost timber flooring in Sydney,,,currently have carpet...its in apartment as well....i dont want to spend lot of money on that...any information will be helpful....

It depends on what sort of flooring you are looking at.

Floating floors (wood look) can start from about $30psm (from memory) and up.

The more you pay (generally) the better it looks. But it pays to shop around.

But a moderate cost floor can look fantastic in an IP which is not top of the range.

I've seen some floors, which are not cheap, which look fantastic and which will probably last ages.

Real wood can be done. Obviously it costs more, and will be thicker. I'm not sure it will be better than the really good "artificial" floors. (they are actually real wood but in thin strips with excellent coating).

You have 3 options
1) Laminate - cheap looks decent better scratch resistant
2) Floating Floor or called manufacture timber in the medium price
3) Real timber

If you looking at a cheap option use laminate found 2 friends of mine use in their place. Looks decent.

Give Troy or Clem a call at Alex Lind in Bexley. If they can't help you, they will point you in the right direction

Cheers

Anyone has information about reasonable cost timber flooring in Sydney,,,currently have carpet...its in apartment as well....i dont want to spend lot of money on that...any information will be helpful....

Gora, just checking you're allowed to put in timber floors in your unit? Are you on a ground floor? You might want to check with your body corporate first.

Gools

check issues first

If you are on thefirst floor you may not be allowed to install timber floor without adequate noise insulation, which could prove very costly.

Whatever you do , i would not recommend floating or laminate floors, especially if it is to be an IP. These types of floor bloat and swell if they even sniff water. So if someone spills a drink, or mops the floor, you can just about kiss your floor goodbye.
We install thousands of Sq/M of floating floors evry year, in commercial applications. They are great for shops, because most shops require a re-fit every 5 years, so these are a cheap and fast option.

In a house or unit you want the material to last much longer than this- Hence solid flooring, or engineered flooring is the way to go. Unfortunately this will prove a far more costly exercise

good luck

Hi Gora,

When we have done renovations to install timber flooring in apartments for our clients, we have double checked with the body corporate and they usually have a requirement to use acoustic (sound insulation) underlay instead of the standard foam stuff. Most flooring outlets will be able to give you an indication of the price of that type of underlay.

Regards, Ana

costs can vary a lot as can quality. Shop around and compare prices. Ask them where they get their stock from, if they look nervous then you should be too

Depending on the building, you are most likely to not be permitted to install solid timber floors, only floating timber floors at the most. Don't worry, these floating timber floors can come pre-finished so that you only need a wet mop to clean it, no harsh cleaning detergents as this can wear the finish away.

I paid the same price for floating timber floors for a 50sqm apartment (58sqm total) for the same price that Harvey Norman charges for laminates.

Let me know if you need the details as he is in Sydney.

Depending on the building, you are most likely to not be permitted to install solid t

Hi pogi, if you can please let me know the contact person it will be much appreciated.Also roughly how much it cost you. Thanks

if you are doing it your self, I would even try places like Bunnings.

In Brisbane, have a look in Courier Mail on Saturdays they have a list of auctions and times..

regards
Antonio

Last edited by a moderator:
Back