Timber floors

If I had to pick floors and was made of money I'd pick Jarrah, I love the dark colour and I've had jarrah floors before, they were like rock, nothing could touch them, incredible stuff. Had other timbers in the same house that dented easily but the jarrah you could drop a brick on from height with no effect. Pine sucks, you just have to poke it and it dents.

Look into Boral Silkwood - has about 1/2 cm of real timber on the top, so you can resand it.

Laminate just means 'layered', you can have laminate floors with fake plastic wood on top or laminate beams that are made of half a dozen inch thick bits of wood. Just to confuse everyone.

timber laminate floor going foggy

Hi just wondering if you can shed some light on a problem i am having with my timber laminate floor. Only 12 months old, good quality flooring however when the weather is very steamy, humid after a good shower of rain and then sunny the floor goes foggy. It has a white appearance and if you walk on it it shows footprints were you have walked. Very frustrating. I have only used the timber laminate spray cleaning solution provided with the flooring. One which is sprayed lightly on the microfibre mop and lightly mopped on floor. Or the Long Life floor cleaner on a just damp velda mop. Floor looks great except for this frustrating problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hah! Condensation. Only way you're going to stop that is if you take the water out of the air or use that no-fog mirror stuff on it.

What a strange problem to have ...

We have timber floors, and the only time we get any kind of condensation is when we have a run of stinking hot days, and the air-con is run most of the day. If this happens a few days in a row, the floor gets a light haze and footprints show up.

Only thing that fixes it is to mop the floor. It has only happened a handful of times. Clearly something to do with the moisture in the air.

Hi just wondering if you can shed some light on a problem i am having with my timber laminate floor. Only 12 months old, good quality flooring however when the weather is very steamy, humid after a good shower of rain and then sunny the floor goes foggy. It has a white appearance and if you walk on it it shows footprints were you have walked. Very frustrating. I have only used the timber laminate spray cleaning solution provided with the flooring. One which is sprayed lightly on the microfibre mop and lightly mopped on floor. Or the Long Life floor cleaner on a just damp velda mop. Floor looks great except for this frustrating problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

In an inconspicuous spot try rubbing some alcohol (metho) on it. Alcohol absorbs water, but it may also damage the coating.

I'm hijacking this thread as well, but can anyone tell me what I can do about a "crunching" laminate floor. I don’t know if it was simply cheap and nasty, or the subfloor is not level(cypress pine underneath), but it crunches all the time on nearly the whole floor. The edges have 1 cm gap, the length of the runs don’t make a difference(there are short runs that crunch as much as long runs).

Any ideas how to fix it. It is much worse in hotter days if that makes any difference.

Back