Timber Overlay Flooring?

I know SFA about timber laminate etc flooring, as all the houses I've done with polished floors actually had solid timber floors. I'd like the same look for a project I'm looking at, which is a large house on a slab.

From what I've seen, I'm not overly keen on pre-finished flooring as you can see the joins rather than having a smooth varnished surface. I know that solid overlay flooring is available (12mm?) that can direct stick to concrete, and this can be sanded like usual. Is timber laminate flooring available (meaning real timber veneer, not printed laminate) that can be sanded & polished?
Any other suggestions? I'm looking at upwards of 150sqm and wondering if there is a cost effective option.
Thanks

Any other suggestions? I'm looking at upwards of 150sqm and wondering if there is a cost effective option. Thanks

Personally, I will never use floating timber floors again - had a water accident which swelled them up. Others shrank.

However, friends recently used timberlook vinyl planks that glue directly to the concrete. They looked great and are supposed to be hard-wearing.

Thanks, prop. I've seen pics of these but haven't checked them out IRL. I will be selling the place after the reno, BTW.

They must be pretty tough. My mates reckoned they had to change cutting blades (on those disposable knife cutter things) after they trimmed each individual plank.

Timber overlay isn't recommended for a lot of applications - it is solid timber and needs sanding and varnishing after you put it down. They don't recommend it in houses with large windows, or on concrete slabs as it can warp. It also costs a bloody fortune, you need to waterproof the slab, glue it down, lay it, sand it and polish it and that's after paying $100-150sqm for the wood. Try $200+ a square metre.

We've got engineered timber - 1/2cm of real timber with plywood underneath. You can still see the joins between the boards if you're looking for them, but then you can see the joins in genuine solid timber (on joists) too a few months after it has been sanded/polished, because of shrinkage and movement.

We've had our offcuts sitting outside on a pile of rubbish and also using them to go across muddy patches and they don't swell, warp or twist, which I was impressed about as our old laminate floors in the last house swelled up when you breathe on them.

The two companies that do engineered timber are boral silkwood and readyfloor. Boral costs way more than readyfloor. We have readyfloor one strip in spotted gum. Looks brilliant.

Thanks, RE. Sounds pretty hardy.I've seen "One strip" etc advertised but can you please tell me what it means? And do you remember the approx sq metre cost?

"One strip" is the number of bits of wood per board, like "three strip" would have one board divided into three narrower ones. The downside of going two or three strip is there's always going to be places in the floor where the three miniature boards all end in the same place. Fine for smaller rooms, doesn't look so good in a larger area. One strip is the most expensive and looks the best of course :) The stuff comes with click lock on the short ends as well as the sides.

We only got ours laid a few weeks ago, it was about $110sqm laid and around the $80 mark supply only ... I think we got the underlay free (instead of $5) as we were doing a fairly large area and there was an extra charge for beading around the edges and strips in the doorways. Should have seen the sales people's faces light up as we drifted out of the printed-plastic-on-MDF section into the real wood section lol

Spotted gum sure isn't one of the cheaper timbers and its apparently one of the most variable - its a medium brown but has patches where it is really blonde, really pink, interesting knots and swirls etc all through it so it suits our 'country' look. Jarrah would be the one to go for if you're doing a high end house and you want that uniform 'wow' factor.

Not sure how much of a value add you get having real timber over the printed plastic stuff but it really does look good.

I could get a job at a flooring store, couldn't I :D

Timber veneer can be treated/abused like solid timber, the only catch is once the veneer gets thin, it can snap/break etc. Sand it, re-polish it, whatever.

If you're selling the place then why not use Laminate? It gives the illusion but also doesn't cost you (and the buyer). Most people won't even ask/can't tell if its laminate/engineered (timber veneer)/solid/bamboo (Grass lol!), especially on a slab.

Laminate or even Bamboo is cheap retail prior to asking for a discount.
I was looking at Boral Euro Oak @ Tait and it was $160sqm supply...ouch! But it was pretty.

Check out the below link for rough pricing.
http://www.timberflooringclearance.com.au

I'm looking at laying down some timber @ my PPOR.

I've got some leave booked to hunt around/do it all, I'm looking for wholesale prices, I want to find a place that can cut it for me..or cut the middleman pricing out :) Going to check out Fowles..

Tait timber floors (http://www.taitflooring.com.au/) has a great showroom with $$$$ prices to match! Great for seeing and feeling, and if you like Boral Silkwood then check out the resellers near you.
http://www.boral.com.au/boral_locations/location.aspx

I'll be most likely using solid flooring.....it's expensive! and the labour is equivalent (if not more) then the actual timber itself!! Ouch.

Floor Materials?
Seal my slab; Liquid Nails VBS Vapour Barrier for sealing concrete slabs
http://www.selleys.com.au/trade/flo...vbs-vapour-barrier-for-sealing-concrete-slabs

Solid Floor; I'm planning to use 'Liquid Nails Direct Stick ® timber flooring adhesive'

http://www.selleys.com.au/trade/flo...d-nails-direct-stick-timber-flooring-adhesive

"One strip" is the number of bits of wood per board, like "three strip" would have one board divided into three narrower ones..We only got ours laid a few weeks ago, it was about $110sqm laid and around the $80 mark supply only ...
That would fit in the budget. And sounds like 1 strip is the go; thanks

sure how much of a value add you get having real timber over the printed plastic stuff but it really does look good.
No question for me. I wouldn't buy a $1m+ house with laminate floors.
could get a job at a flooring store, couldn't I :D
I reckon so!

Timber veneer can be treated/abused like solid timber, the only catch is once the veneer gets thin, it can snap/break etc. Sand it, re-polish it, whatever...
Kambo, thanks very much for sharing all that info. Boral Silkwood Jarrah looks pretty good for $55.:)
Good luck with your floor!

Back