Time Management (Help)

To everyone who has requested Info:

(Courses; Cashbonds; Structure & Rental Valuation Reality.)

I HAVE received your e-mails and or fax's.

As usual I have been to and from Sydney / Melbourne over the past few weeks.

I will have ALL responses out by the end of Easter - please forgive me for not responding sooner.

Only about 250 e-mails behind at present!

Hrmmmph, am I the only one so afflicted?

HOW DO THE REST OF YOU MANAGE YOUR TIME???

Regards,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

> I will have ALL responses out by the end of Easter - please forgive
me
> for not responding sooner.
>
> Only about 250 e-mails behind at present!
>

You need a couple of auto responders. Chances are all 250 are asking
roughly the same qs.

Jas

Reply: 2.1

Time management is is suspect one of the things none of the regulars in the forum do well. (Except maybe TW). That's the nature of most forum dwellers.

You definitely need to set up an auto-responder. It would reply with a standard info pack to people who sent email to say [email protected]

You could also do the same with a subject line filter in your email program, but it is not as efficient.

I'm out of IT consulting because the time taken for the long term return wasn't efficient anymore. Now I have to grow a business; run a family stock fund; invest in real estate; be an outstanding father and husband.

Don't you love challenges. I live by my palm pilot.

Paul Zag
Dreamspinner
The Oz Film Biz site is archived at...
http://wealthesteem.dyndns.org/

Reply: 2.1.1

Steve

There's a book by Steve Covey Called "First things first" ( think that's correct) which has some interesting things to say about time management. Worth a read, though in order to maximise my time I bought the audio tape and listened to it while going to and from work.

see change

it's better to be guided by your dreams than your fears

Reply: 2.1.1.1

Hi,

Speaking of time mgt, I am looking into voice recognition software - Dragon Naturally Speaking actually - to increase my productivity spent on the computer. Does anyone use this ? If so I would love to hear some feedback.

Another thing I have been interested in is 'text to MP3 / wave' converters, which converts text to audio as I have a lot of time to listen to newsletters (for eg.)..., but not much time to read.

Ta

Tibor

He who trust himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe. Proverbs

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

Hi Steve and all,

Know your problem well. I would say a big issue with you is you trying to help too many people. If you can't automate or delegate to where you can manage easily, then you have to start saying NO !

I get in the same situation and I teach Time Management Courses !!

I am about to hire 2 fulltime business support professionals. You sound like you one too ?

Re the reading, I think the book by Hyram Smith who actually founded Franklin Quest (Well before Covey showed up) is far more rewarding and readable. It's called the 10 most... I have read a bunch as have the course together from the best materials and this one I refer to the most.

A big issue you may have is the delegation as your business is YOU and therefore hard to pass it over right ?

this is when the big question of Leadership comes into play. Big Co.s tend to judge more on leadership qualities than what you an actually do yourself. I don;t necessarily agree but then again I don't own a really BIG company (Like GE, BP or IBM)

Anyway must run.
Regds
Splinter

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1

This is more a tip for those running homes, as in the domestic engineers amongst us.

Thanks to Jas, some of us have been introduced to a system run by Flylady:
www.flylady.net
She is fantastic.

It's all about baby steps, and having a shiny sink.

Seriously, with the number of things required of us during a day, the guilt attached to NOT doing them can become immense. We need to learn to delegate, say no, and de-clutter (Both physically, mentally and email-wise).

Steve, if, like many of us, you are not overly proficient in computer matters, I would suggest there are MANY programmers on the forum who would like to attend your course. Perhaps it would serve you to offer one of them a free course, in exchange for setting up your email system in such a manner that your info requests auto-respond.
Then it's just a matter of requesting the public to only send info requests to this particular email, and that they WILL NOT be answered.

Good luck with it, I am off to Boogie...

asy

"Don't forget what happened to the guy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...
He lived happily ever after.
(Willy Wonka).

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1

Phew,

Thanks everyone!
Mind you reading all these replies . . .

Solution:
New staff member - Bridie O'Gorman.
who is a buff at most of the suggestions.

Whoa, I might yet get a few minutes off this weekend!

Regards,

Steve

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

I get about 150 emails a day.

I get thru all my emails ( some I send over to PA to answer or sort out) I make plans, buy stuff, read MOST of the forum stuff, sell stuff, create new ideas, run business's, look at property and make time to party with people on the weekends or evenings, I also take my kids to school and pick them up most days.

I believe in the power of delegation, the power of hiring staff and the power of 5 minutes.

All my BIG life changes or BIGGEST deals have been created in 5 minutes.

I have long winded chats about nothing much with those I CHOOSE to have long chats about nothing much with.

I am 5 minutes early to pick up kids? I read stuff in that 5 minutes. I utilise my mobile phone a heck of a lot, I ask other people for help a lot ( the power of networking ), the power of networking is reciprocal, I do this.

I adore changing hats, I have allotted time for every hat, when driving kids to school, it is mummy hat,After that, its whatever hat is next appropriate, but that hat only, I dont like to mix the hats up.

I spend a lot of time patting myself on the back and strengthening my ego, you know...I'm every woman...Chaka Khan....anyway....thats how I manage my time :eek:)

TW

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.2

> Solution:
> New staff member - Bridie O'Gorman.
> who is a buff at most of the suggestions.

Now that's what we all need, a combination PA and IT guy...

jas

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

>
> From: "The Wife" <[email protected]>
>
> I get about 150 emails a day.
>
> I get thru all my emails ( some I send over to PA to answer or sort
out) I
> make plans, buy stuff, read MOST of the forum stuff, sell stuff,
create
> new ideas, run business's, look at property and make time to party
with
> people on the weekends or evenings, I also take my kids to school and
pick
> them up most days.
>
> I am 5 minutes early to pick up kids? I read stuff in that 5 minutes.
I
> utilise my mobile phone a heck of a lot, I ask other people for help a
lot
> ( the power of networking ), the power of networking is reciprocal, I
do
> this.
>
> I adore changing hats, I have allotted time for every hat, when
driving
> kids to school, it is mummy hat

Once you become a mum, time management becomes an essential skill.
After that, fitting in the most complex working life is easy.

Go Mums!!!!

Jas

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1

Hey Jas,

it's better than that, the combo PA and IT guy is a she!

Thank God for the multi-dimensional fairer sex!

Regards,

Steve

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1

Of course the guy is a she..

Multitasking is involved! ;o)

asy.

(with apologies to those guys who can actually multitask, Rolf, and the other one...)

"Don't forget what happened to the guy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...
He lived happily ever after.
(Willy Wonka).

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.2

> From: "Steve Navra" <[email protected]>
>
> it's better than that, the combo PA and IT guy is a she!

ARGH! My 70s feminist mum would kill me!

Jas

To paraphrase Charles Mackay - By the vile arts of stock-jobbers!

Back