Time spent on the internet vs Body Mass Index

Interval Training

We utilise interval training in our fitness/training regime.
Cannot speak highly enough of it, we educated ourselves [and are still learning] in this practise, and the results are incredible...fitness levels to the maximum.... little to no breakdowns...recovery is excellent. Interval training [along with correct and good nutritional intake]..make us very competitive in our sport.

Hey Bigfella...just so it's not all take take and take, and excitement on my part...would you care to see a stunning picture....[virtually no clothing], all flesh and blood, gorgeous curves, legs to die for, a beautiful face...just sorry about the big bum!!
Pam.

Simon, we also have a body fat % scales at home - tanita i think is the brand.
Your water and elecrolyte level will affect the scales calculations. They really are not too accurate - i believe there can be a +/-5% variation.

For instance i can take a measurement and be 20% body fat, drink a 250ml glass of water and 5mins later be 19% body fat.
At 95kg's i have increased in weight by a quarter of a kg, yet my body fat has reduced by 950gms?
i think it is best take the measuements of these things with a pinch of electrolye:D they really are only an indicator. If you take measurments at the same time each day under the same conditions, and plot the trend, you should have a handy tool to show if you are moving up or down in lean mass.
ShaunW

BTW,

Decided to start on the supplements path again given my slow gains of late. Bit the bullet and bought a 2.5kg bucket of GNC Mega Whey. Its got Whey Protein plus some Glutamine and other BCAAs I think too. I'm taking two shakes a day on work days and one a day on off days. Today was chest and tris (plus abs and shoulders as always) so it was a shake in the morning plus another after the workout. I've also had two tubs of yoghurt, a salad sandwhich on wholemeal, a bunch of grapes, a muffin (bad I know) and some pecan pie (also bad I know, but it did taste mighty good :D ).

Lets see how it goes. Still feeling hungry after that workout, really pushed the envelope like TFB outlined, dropping to 4 reps on the last set at well above my previous max. No spotter today, so had to do a little less than I'd have liked on incline dumbell press. Finished with a drop set on each exercise to really get some burn. Pumped to the absolute max right now...

Cheers,
Michael.

Adrian, when doing very heavy weights, I recommend keeping as much control over your joints as possible.

For legs, I recommend leg presses on a 45 degree rack and horizontal leg press machine- the point being to keep the back supported and vary the load distributed through the hip joint cartilage via alternating the two exercises workout to workout. I also recommend leg extension, leg curl, and calf raise stations, in addition to doing diagonal patterns with a cable pulley frame.

Once again, each exercise is going to overload a specific part of a joint, and it is a matter of varying the loads to spread the overload. Squats are notoriously difficult to do with correct form for most mortals, and extremely difficult when overloading.

Our Obsession, I agree interval training is an excellent form of CV conditioning. It is just that it isn't safe for previously sedentary people to launch into, without building a base of cardio training. Intervals load the heart muscle, coronary and systemic arteries significantly. This is how the desired adaptive responses are stimulated.

Regarding BIA via electronic scales such as Tanita's, I'd recommend anyone considering using these things to read the manual and the manufacturers' website, on how to use them most reliably, preferrably before buying. The scales measure one thing only, the impedance to electric current through the body. Most impedance occurs in and near the skin. Factors that vary skin condition include:

- arousal level, as in how awake you are.
- arousal level as in how anxious or angry you might be
- ambient temp
- hydration state
- time since last meal. content of last meal.
- distribution of blood volume and institial fluid, which varies with time since sitting lying, standing, and exercise
- barometric pressure
- humidity
- placement of electrodes on skin
- pressure of electrodes against skin

In laboratory tests, BIA has been shown to be more accurate when electrodes are connected to hand and foot, not 2 feet as with the scales.

Personally, I don't use scales or skinfold calipers or BMI anymore. I just use a tape measure for waist circumference.

It's ok...Interval Training...horses

We interval train the horses Bruce..wonderful results, they just get sooo fit and healthy.
Used to interval train [myself]when cross country and middle distance running..excellent results too.
Bigfella, has taken me best part of a day and a half to try and get this great photo up..[you know great legs, beautiful face...near naked]...you guessed it, it is a horse too...[no I am not a horse! and yes I will grow up one day...maybe?....nah, maybe not]
Pam
Hope the picture turns out actually, if it shows up somewhere it shouldn't would someone kindly forward it on to this post...thanks.

Attachments

• Rosie Kris and dogs 004.jpg
    Rosie Kris and dogs 004.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 60
Bmr..bsi...lbw..?

Another question TFB

How do you work out your BMR without having to resort to tests to determine Lean Body Mass..is there an easy calculation?

>.Just found this on a forum...

Dave Palese replies:

Luke, weight loss, in general, is a pretty simple equation: take in fewer calories than you burn and you'll lose weight. You might be better looking at your diet rather than the type of exercise you do.

With riders I have worked with, I have found that many of us overeat for a couple of reasons. The first is a culture thing. Over the centuries, western culture has embedded a theory that more is better. This concept has been applied to food and the portion sizes we eat. The other reason is that, as endurance athletes, we sometimes think that we have an excuse to eat more or that we need to eat large amount of food to stay topped up. I am not saying that you as an athlete don't have unique needs - you do. You just need to figure out what your individual needs are.

The first step is to figure out what your caloric requirements per day are. How much do you need to eat. There are two parts to this component:

1. Calories burned through life function (breathing, pumping blood, thinking), or the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); and,
2. Calories burned through exercise and activity.

To figure your BMR, take you weight in kilograms (77), multiply that by 10.2 and add 880. For you, that works out at around 1700 calories. [For women, multiply by 7.18 and add 795]

Now you need to figure your caloric needs for the exercise you do each day; you'll burn about 500 calories during an hour of endurance riding. So let's say you go out for a two hour endurance ride. That would burn about 1,000 calories. Add that to you BMR and you get 2,700 - that's how many calories you would need to break even with calories in, calories out.

As I mentioned above, to lose weight, you need to take in fewer calories than you burn - this is called creating a caloric deficit. How much fewer calories you ask? A caloric deficit of 300-500 calories per day is considered healthy. Maintaining such a deficit can yield a weight loss of up to a pound or about half a kilogram a week.

The best place to get started is to track your diet for several days. Write down everything you eat and also track you training and activity for each day. Learn to read nutrition labels to figure out how many calories were in the serving sizes you had.

Most people who go through this process are very surprised at the actual amount of food they are eating on a daily basis. But going through this process makes it very clear where you can cut or add calories from your diet. When it comes to cutting calories, I think the best place to start is with serving sizes. You may also find one of those small diet scales helpful during this process.

Nice pic OO. Are they quarter horses? They look strong...

All the research is supportive of interval training for fat burning. The fad for the last few years has been high intensity interval training, HIIT. Several years ago, I ripped a lot of weight off quickly doing it on a spinner bike and elliptical trainer. Though I used a heart rate monitor to keep the intervals in a reasonable zone.

Kristine, yes I read the page re HGH, as well as a few of the pdf's. My ultimate interest, is in what evidence based literature reveals.

But please follow your own star, the star that led you, for your first, and hopefully only encounter, with weight loss diets.

I will be interested in the outcome, in 2 months, and in 2 years.

Respectfully,
Bruce

I wish to clarify that I am only interested in what dietary information can be validated scientifically.

There are a thousand web diets out there, that draw on the pure research of real scientists, and misleadingly exploit that information for profit.

The field of HGH exploitation for weight loss is well explored in the scientific literature. Anyone wishing to explore that futher can do so through Medline.

There are a thousand websites out there that are written in a style that will make those untrained in science believe they have something novel. Many years ago, I fell prey to this myself, and it makes me more resilient in ensuring the truth prevail. Especially after seeing the result of people who follow the persuasive techniques of the powerful personality.

The most powerful and honourable truth I know of, is not that of popularist opinion, but that of the scientific method.

My final word on this thread is to reassure, that the scientific method, is a more honourable master then the pull of personality. I would encourage all to refer regularly to the websites I mentioned earlier. The advice there will with more probablity apply to the majority then my or anyone elses' testimonial.

Onwards and Upwards

Thanks TFB

My thoughts on BMR was that it was the daily caloric requirements to keep your body in homeostatis (<Not sure about the spelling there)

To figure your BMR, take you weight in kilograms (77), multiply that by 10.2 and add 880. For you, that works out at around 1700 calories. [For women, multiply by 7.18 and add 795]
Is this correct..as other info I found was all in pounds (then I had to convert pounds to kilo's)

OO

Naked Pictures, Long legs..but why the long face?

REDWING

Red, there's a lot of formulae out there for BMR calcs. And its definition is "energy required by body in a resting state, generally for a 24 hour period".

Try this calculator
http://www.tekserv.com.au/bruce/DietCalculator.xls

The Harris Benedict is the most widely used, and has gone through three or four revisions in the last 25 years.

One of my favourites for its simplicity is to recognise that lean tissue burns around 1 Calorie per kg per hour. Which becomes

weight in kg (less approx bodyfat %) * 24 hours
Once you get familiar with body sizes, you can ballpark bodyfat % within +/- 2.5%.

Here's a post I refer to above, that was moved by the moderators...

For those of you who want to understand more about diet and exercise, I highly recommend these two sites. They have been consistently balanced and of academic standard for many years, and are written by well qualified people. Though the latter is going a little more commercial, it still offers good articles reviewing the latest science.

http://www.exrx.net/
http://www.pponline.co.uk

This page talks about hgh.
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/huma...h-hormone.html
From my perspective, I suspect weight loss diets that promote manipulation of hgh, are loading up on protein beyond recommended daily allowances. I imagine the reason they are doing the blood tests is to ensure the kidneys can tolerate the thrashing imposed by high protein loads.

I personally think to enhance hormone levels for optimal weight loss, there is more wisdom in exploiting circadian rhythms via sleep, and exercise, and regularly calming the mind and body.

Last edited:
I agree. If you read a book called "Protein Power" (regardless of whether you agree with the recommendations) it has a means of calculating lean body weight and works with that.

The methods are a little complex and are different for men and women. Worth a read, however. I'm not going to answer the main question just yet as I am finally on a diet and exercise routine which will last for around 8-11 weeks and then be replaced by an expanded diet and exercise routine which is intended to be permanent.

Oh, I guess it doesn't matter - 3 hours on cable, at least one hour every weekday exercising and a BMI of 29. Need to lose about 2 stone and 8 inches around the waist. The first would be easier than the second, but the second is the real aim.

The horses are standardbreds [pacers]..our thoroughbreds cope equally well with the interval training...actually with all the sand around here they get a good foundation of resistance training too...be horse heaven...wide open spaces, variety, they get going in the sand and buck their brands off...
The foal would be long in the face..he is probably "a little hoarse" from calling out to all the other horses, [sorry].
All good things taken into account, interval training [very generally speaking in quantifying terms] improves a horse's PB time by at least 2 seconds...wait till the little guy in the photo is educated, has his foundation phase then commences heat work...they absolutely glow in health and muscle definition..you feel like you create works of art.
Lizzie I have just been shopping and stocked up on dark chocolate..they reckon it's better then red wine for your health..I figure combine both, one of them is then bound to do the job.

[\QUOTE]
Lizzie I have just been shopping and stocked up on dark chocolate..they reckon it's better then red wine for your health..I figure combine both, one of them is then bound to do the job.[/QUOTE]

i've got a shocking head cold at the moment so been bypassing the red wine and slurping down the whiskey instead. combined with codral they've gotta do some good - if not, give a very nice buzz.

Back