Time versus Money

Thanks for that perspective Rockstar.

Be timeless mate.

Ah yes. One can ponder the ultimate truths (still a long way from knowing) though one must also live with and accept the apparent reality.

Will try to keep it a little more shallow next time. Just having one of my moments. :)

I love you abstractnoids so much. It's like coming home.

For me...money is a tool, I enjoy creating it and all that stuff.

Time...is....for me it is my personal xmas stocking I can shove in all the goodies of what my/life has to offer. It never fills up. Of course it may well have a bloody big hole in it?:)

Time is opportunity to live, love and learn. Hone up my skills at making money to help share stuff with the rest of the world. (Rockstar explained so beautifully).

Great stuff, enjoy reading and contemplating all this.

Momo: A novel about time

Thanks for this great thread, Player. Being quite new to Somersoft, I’ve only come across it recently, and thought to add a little something to it.

This discussion about time versus money reminded me of a great novel about the value of time in modern society. It is a fable-like story called Momo, written by Michael Ende in 1973. It is one my all-time favourite books, and I heartily recommend it to Somersoft members.

Synopsis: A girl, the eponymous and mysterious Momo, who lives in a ruined amphitheatre on the outskirts of an unnamed Italian city. She is noted for her remarkable ability to listen to people’s problems. Into this idyllic beginning, the sinister “Men in Grey” intrude. They are time thieves from the Timesaving Bank. Their mission is to get people to destroy their time in worthless activities. It is up to Momo, with the help of Professor Hora (a “Father Time” figure), to foil their plans.

Given how long ago it was written, it is very prescient about the modern madness of rushing, and how we best use our time. It also has some very pointed remarks about consumerism and how we use that to give us momentary thrills and distract ourselves from living life fully. It is an ode to the power of patience and listening, and the beauty of the unleashed imagination. In Momo's life, there is always time for storytelling too. When Momo meets the Master Time Keeper (Professor Hora), and is shown the time within her own heart – rendered poetically in the form of “hour lilies” - it is a most wonderful scene, and a beauty to read aloud.

It perhaps has a place alongside novels such as The Alchemist and Jonathan Livingston Seagull, although Momo is less didactic, and it is the story itself that is the focus.

The German author Michael Ende is most famous for The Neverending Story, which, if possible, I like even more than Momo. It is full of the most stupendous ideas about love, the nature of a story, the importance of names, the difference between a story and a lie, the power of imagination and reading, heroes, being yourself. I could go on about it for hours, but I don’t have the time in this post! :eek:

Both Momo and The Neverending Story have been made into films. The former in German, with no English subtitles on the DVD(!). The Neverending Story is widely available on DVD, and it forms an integral part of my childhood. In fact, the latter may be remade in a film in a couple of years.

And finally a word from the wise…
It is often said that “life is too short”. I prefer Seneca’s maxim, which goes something like, "Life well-lived is long enough" or "Life is long enough if you know what to do with it".

Or how about this:
“What is this life if full of care, we have no time to stand and to stare...
A poor life this if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare."
-from a poem by William Henry Davies

Here’s to everyone’s time being well spent. :)

Appreciate those insights LS.

I liked Men in Black, :p however the Men in Grey or time thieves to which you allude that cause some to waste time on worthless activities is something that is timely (sic) to consider. Majoring in the minors as Jim Rohn would say.

It may be likened a little to the 80/20 rule, although not in an empowering application. The Men in Grey pushing others to squander the majoir 80 % of time on the minor 20 % of things......interesting. I know that I can sometimes be my own man in grey :cool:

Nice perspectives further on also about a life well lived being long enough. I guess at the end of the day it isn't the years in our life so much as the life in our years. ;)

Nice post. Thanks for sharing. :)

Steven Covey has been mentioned a couple of times. I like his bucket of rocks analogy.

Covey talks about focusing on the "big rocks" (important aspects) in our lives. Deal with the big rocks first, and the pebbles (less important aspects) will always be found time for.

The bucket should be first filled with big rocks (deal with the important things first). There is then always room to fill the gaps in the bucket with the pebbles (deal with the things of lesser importance second). However, fill the bucket first with pebbels and there is no room for the big rocks.

big rocks, then pebbles ... and you can fill in the rest of the bucket with sand, not forgetting that there's always room to pour in a cup of coffee with a friend :)

IMO we are missing something from the equation:

Time : Money : Health

A person requires all three. Having an excess of Time and Money does not amount to much if a persons Health prevents them from enjoying that excess.

exactly bene313.

Money = Time.

But you cannot enjoy none of it without your/families health.

You ask a multi millionaire in hospital with a serious illness, if he would give up his millions for his health. They would do it in a second.

exactly bene313.

Money = Time.

But you cannot enjoy none of it without your/families health.

You ask a multi millionaire in hospital with a serious illness, if he would give up his millions for his health. They would do it in a second.

So one always wants whichever they have least of? ;)

I have a nominal hourly rate that I consider my time is worth. Therefore, if I can get a job that I don't enjoy (eg house cleaning) done for less than that, it's worth paying to have somebody else do it, and I'll only do things which pay more.

When I am working full time, I occassionally use above to make my decisions as to whether I will ire someone to do a job that I could do but lack the time.

It is a different case when only working casual part time 2 days a week, for example will I get a professional blind cleaner in to clean vertical blinds or will I with hubby's help clean our own blinds.

Cheers
Sheryn

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the journey to wealth will probably end up being more satisfying than the result.

Ultimately, there is something I consider more important than time, money or health. And that's relationships. Good relationships with each other are worth more to me than the other three combined.

Good relationships with each other are worth more to me than the other three combined.
Amen to that, I couldn't agree more. I think that many overstate the importance of health. I totally get that money can't buy you good health, and have loads of sympathy for people struggling with poor health, but I don't agree that you "have nothing without your health", as is often said.

In fact, often it's precisely such life challenges (terrible illness) which focus the mind most effectively, and lead people to realise with enormous clarity that our relationships are really what defines us, and are our most important legacy.

If you're not convinced, ask yourself this: would you rather be ill - even terminally ill - and surrounded by all your favourite people in the world, nurturing and supporting you, or would you rather live in good health for a natural lifespan on a desert island?

For me, it's not even a close call.

If you're not convinced, ask yourself this: would you rather be ill - even terminally ill - and surrounded by all your favourite people in the world, nurturing and supporting you, or would you rather live in good health for a natural lifespan on a desert island?

For me, it's not even a close call.

For me, the answer would depend on how long I had the terminal illness...

One second / minute / hour / day / week / month / year / decade ?

The answer differs according to the time left really...

Other than nitpicking, I definitely concur with the sentiment though!

Perp, interesting question.....keep in mind there's some illnesses that can destroy a cheery disposition and relationships with loved ones : depression, mania, dementia, chronic pain.....

Perp, interesting question.....keep in mind there's some illnesses that can destroy a cheery disposition and relationships with loved ones : depression, mania, dementia, chronic pain.....
Agreed, and this confirms my point... the very worst types of ill-health are those which interfere with one's ability to create and maintain relationships. :)

Please don't anybody think for a minute that I'm suggesting that ill-health is fun, or not deserving of sympathy. Likewise, some people live in poverty which really is horrendous.

I'm simply discussing about your decision if you could have only one out of time, money, health, and relationships... I think relationships would come up trumps.

if you could have only one out of time, money, health, and relationships..... I think relationships would come up trumps.

That's such a "sensible woman in comfortable shoes" thing to say perpy !!

No contest at all for me....Money wins hands down.

I could easily see myself being a decrepid old fogey who smoked like a chimney like George Burns, over 100 whilst every night a healthy young filly comes a knockin'.

She's got 3 out of 4, I'll have 1 out of 4. Zippetty doo-dah !!! :D

That's such a "sensible woman in comfortable shoes" thing to say perpy !!
LMAO
Dazz said:
I could easily see myself being a decrepid old fogey who smoked like a chimney like George Burns, over 100 whilst every night a healthy young filly comes a knockin'.
Dare you to say this in front of Mrs Dazz. She'll out-live you, mate. :p

Back