Time versus Money

Time versus Money

What is more valuable............Time or Money?

Many here on the SS community (including myself) are keen on investing to build up a portfolio of real estate assets to provide growth style assets with income to offset holding costs; income (cashflow) type assets where growth becomes a bonus, or; a combination of both, sometimes by varying the portfolio assets themselves or even in the same asset by being creative with value add or buying very prudently in the first place.

It is the income streams that follow (or capital by portfolio sell-off in part or in whole) that provide us with choices in our life. Those choices then allow us the discretion to reduce working hours in a J.O.B. or fully remove ourselves from the active workforce.

This then allows us the freedom to reclaim some of our time. Many of us may have heard that money is more valuable than time. We can always get back lost money, however we can never get back lost time.

Likening the money versus time argument to a currency of sorts and a bank account, it helps to imagine that there is a bank that credits each and every one of us with $ 86,400 every morning. It carries no end of day balance. Every evening whatever part of the balance that is not used during the day is wiped from the account.

As prudent investors, we would draw out and utilise every last dollar. The analogy now beckons to the currency of time. Each and every person also has such a bank.....our Time Bank.

Every morning (for the sake of a fixed yardstick comparison) it credits us with 86,400 seconds. Every night it writes off/deletes whatever part of that time we did not use or invest for good purpose. It carries no balance.....there is no credit or overdraft. Every morning another new account is opened for us......if we do not use the day?s deposits, the loss is ours. There is no going back. There is not an endless supply.

Jim Rohn calls procrastination, the thief of time. I agree......the time will pass anyway, regardless of whether we utilise it to our full advantage or squander it on mind numbing activities. As Jim Rohn also says, stop majoring in minor things. This life we have is not a dress rehearsal.

Our time use extends not only to work, but also involves our health, family, purpose, recreation/leisure, relaxation, spirituality, etc. I provide no order to this list as the priorities will be different for each and every one of us according to our core values.

I have recovered an enormous amount of time over the years by watching far less TV than I used to. Aside from the news, I mostly watch comedies as I enjoy laughing. I reckon it?s very therapeutic to have a few good belly laughs per day.....get our own endorphins cracking and to offset some of the gloom from the remaining media, the daily grind, and sometimes those we meet along our daily journey.

I?ve been guilty in the past of spending too much time on minor things that whilst they pass the time, do nothing in moving me forward to be, do and have all that I have the potential to achieve. That is not to say that we don?t need to re-create, recuperate or rest, however I find that spending my time that was otherwise squandered on mindless ?hanging around? and other activities and investing it in sleep instead, I am far more productive and energetic the next day rather than just flopping on the couch in front of the screen.

There is a time quadrant that those who have read Stephen Covey?s ?The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People? goes thru priorities of putting first things first. The variables he uses in his matrix include urgent versus non-urgent and important versus not important. I was not able to format the table and paste it properly however here is a link to the matrix:

http://www.orgcoach.net/timematrix.html

In utilising time for our benefit and then the benefit of those others who are close such as family, friends and others of our choosing it requires us to stretch a little every day. That is, to not spend too much time in the comfort zone or the comfy couch. ;)

Comfort is a welcome guest who if stays too long becomes our master. To provide us with the momentum to overcome some of the ?comfort inertia? I find it helpful to consider the following axiom (I am unaware of the source)....?It?s not what you are that?s holding you back, it?s what you think you?re not?. Fear and inertia can go hand in hand and, sometimes the only way to get rid of the fear of doing something and the associated inertia is just to go out and do it. :rolleyes:

For those of us (myself included.........I still need prompting with this) I find asking the following question occasionally is a leveller that makes us think about whether we are spending our time credited every day on activities that are in alignment with our core values.

How long will you live?

Many of us a are probably familiar with at least one case of a young person who has pased on in their youth/prime and was denied the most valuable commodity and currency that we all have right now and that is time. There is also the quantity versus quality debate that I do not wish to entertain here. I do however find it useful to say a quick thank you every morning when I wake up in gratitude for the day ahead. :)

Back to property. To me, investing in property provides a means to reclaim time spent on working at the J.O.B. and achieve the point of not being pre-occupied where my income will come from, whether I clock in or not, wake up at a certain time or not and that is unaffected by my lifestyle. This is freedom to me.

All our choices, as to how we utilise our time, can be classed as either positive or negative, that either push us toward our goals and destiny or keep us from reaching them.

A Chinese proverb says, ?we are like a piece of wood that needs to be carved every morning. If we don?t carve ourselves, someone else will do it for us." To shape our own lives we should be proactive and responsible with how we use (most of) our time......there isn?t an endless supply.

I consider time to be more valuable than money. Both are necessary and to have the freedom to choose how we spend the former, we need to invest it wisely in the beginning to create the latter and lead us to further time choices.

To your (time) freedom!

Beautifully written, Player. Thought I'd repost it here in case people hadn't gone back to the beginning of the thread to read it.

Depends where sanj. In Punjab it would be an ok amount in jalandhar or Chandigarh...Say $20000 would give you a great lifestyle how ever I know people live on less..but thus have their own accomodation...but to just live there and not travel I reckon $12000 would suffice for rent decent for the area .utilities, mobile , groceries and entertainment. Maybe not in Bombay dehli or Bangalore, but some of the regional smaller cities. Hey if they want to live in the pend it might 've cheaper

Yup agreed.

I haven't been active here for some time, but threads like this have really kept us inspired and motivated.

In a couple of months we'll be financially free. We're quitting our demanding expat jobs, selling most of the 'stuff' that we own, and hitting the road indefinitely. The plan is to LOR, and build other small income streams as we go along. We'll be moving around doing 1-6 months stints (visas permitting) wherever we like, with longer stays in SE Asia to keep costs down. The goal is sustainable long term travel and a digital nomad lifestyle.

We're in our mid 30's. The plan was always to continue working and strive for that 100k figure before 'retiring' (probably another 10 years), but the loss of loved ones before their times, and the health concerns faced by others have changed the way we view everything. Time is, indeed, much more precious. We can always get more work, make more money...but we're not willing to spend any more of our time doing that right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: nhg
I haven?t been active here for some time, but threads like this have really kept us inspired and motivated.

In a couple of months we?ll be financially free. We?re quitting our demanding expat jobs, selling most of the ?stuff? that we own, and hitting the road indefinitely. The plan is to LOR, and build other small income streams as we go along. We?ll be moving around doing 1-6 months stints (visas permitting) wherever we like, with longer stays in SE Asia to keep costs down. The goal is sustainable long term travel and a digital nomad lifestyle.

We?re in our mid 30?s. The plan was always to continue working and strive for that 100k figure before ?retiring? (probably another 10 years), but the loss of loved ones before their times, and the health concerns faced by others have changed the way we view everything. Time is, indeed, much more precious. We can always get more work, make more money?but we?re not willing to spend any more of our time doing that right now.

Hope you enjoy a long and happy retirement

The plan was always to continue working and strive for that 100k figure before ?retiring? (probably another 10 years), but the loss of loved ones before their times, and the health concerns faced by others have changed the way we view everything. Time is, indeed, much more precious. We can always get more work, make more money?but we?re not willing to spend any more of our time doing that right now.

More people need to think like you do.

Time is, indeed, much more precious. We can always get more work, make more money?but we?re not willing to spend any more of our time doing that right now.

Have friends doing the same thing. 35, just sold business now going to America to study film making for 2 years before travelling around the world with their kids (none as yet).

Many seem to be aiming for $100k per annum and are happy to work until 55-65 years old until they get there. The problem is you could be dead by then or have cancer or some other debilitating illness which affects quality of life. Even if you're still alive, you have a lot less time to enjoy it than if you "retired" at age 40.

Amen.

The plan was always to continue working and strive for that 100k figure before ?retiring? (probably another 10 years), but the loss of loved ones before their times, and the health concerns faced by others have changed the way we view everything. Time is, indeed, much more precious. We can always get more work, make more money?but we?re not willing to spend any more of our time doing that right now.

Amen.

Amen ... Indeed

The truth is most probably wont achieve the magical $100k income IMO because resi yields are generally low and it will take many years to achieve this income with resi and most buy and hold, unless one upskills, ie develop property, flip, diversify portfolio, invest in more than 1 property market etc

So either upskill to improve chances and get their quicker.....Or look at other options, assess lifestyle what you really need for comfortable lifestyle, I really like what homepage has to say, he makes sense, read his posts

Stress less:)

Last edited:
In a couple of months we'll be financially free. We're quitting our demanding expat jobs, selling most of the 'stuff' that we own, and hitting the road indefinitely. The plan is to LOR, and build other small income streams as we go along. We'll be moving around doing 1-6 months stints (visas permitting) wherever we like, with longer stays in SE Asia to keep costs down. The goal is sustainable long term travel and a digital nomad lifestyle.

Excellent post. I too am gathering the courage (and convince my other half) to give it all up and go on extended travel.

Can I ask what is LOR? What kind of work will you be doing online and how will you be picking up your contracts?

Neither time nor money are real - only artifacts of our physical existence.

29wohzr.jpg

Can I ask what is LOR?

Fab is right but it could also mean:

LOR Letter Of Reprimand (military)
LoR Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)
LOR Learning Object Repository
LOR Letter of Recommendation
LOR Lindsey Oil Refinery (UK)
LOR Linux.Org.Ru (website)
LOR Left or Right (multiplayer games to coordinate squad movement)
LOR Lock Order Reversal
LOR Letter Of Resignation
LOR Light Output Ratio
LOR Light-O-Rama
LOR Letter Of Request
LOR Line of Response (reconstruction of PET images medical imaging)
LOR Loricrin
LoR Life of Riley (webcomic)
LOR Lines of Resolution (surveillance cameras)
LOR Loss of Resistance
LOR Letter of Reference
LOR Length of Residence (demographics)
LOR Lady of Rage (rap artist)
LOR Level Of Repair
LOR Liverpool Overhead Railway (1893-1956)
LOR Letter of Representation (legal document)
LOR Limit of Reporting
LOR Lunar Orbital Rendezvous
LOR Level of Responsiveness (emergency medicine and first aid)
LOR Life of Ryan (MTV reality show)
LOR Lift-Off Resist (engineering)
LOR Local Orthodox Rabbi
LOR London Oil Reports (petrochemical industry; UK)
LOR Locally-Optimum Rank (detector)
LOR Logical Operator Replacement
LOR Length of Read (genetics)
LOR League of Reason (Internet forum)
LOR Line Outage Recorder
LOR Laing O'Rourke PLC
LOR Lock-Out Relay (electric power)
LOR Limit Order Reconciliation
LOR Loan Origination Record
LOR Loss of Rents (Commercial Property Insurance)
LOR Loral Space and Communications Company (stock symbol)
LOR Letter of Requirements
LOR Late Orders Received (TL 9000)
LOR Level of Reward
LOR Launch and Orbit Rising
LOR Letter of Repair
LOR Limit of Responsibility
LOR LEC Order Request
LOR Low-Frequency Omnidirectional Range
LOR Likely Operational Range
LOR Language Operator Replacement
LOR L'Osservatore Romano (Italian; Vatican newspaper)
LOR List of Requirements
LOR Lepidoptera of Orientalic Region
LOR Loan Officer Registration (Michigan)

Neither time nor money are real - only artifacts of our physical existence.

I feel more enlightened now.

Fab is right but it could also mean:

LOR Letter Of Reprimand (military)
LoR Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)
LOR Learning Object Repository
LOR Letter of Recommendation
LOR Lindsey Oil Refinery (UK)
LOR Linux.Org.Ru (website)
LOR Left or Right (multiplayer games to coordinate squad movement)
LOR Lock Order Reversal
LOR Letter Of Resignation
LOR Light Output Ratio
LOR Light-O-Rama
LOR Letter Of Request
LOR Line of Response (reconstruction of PET images medical imaging)
LOR Loricrin
LoR Life of Riley (webcomic)
LOR Lines of Resolution (surveillance cameras)
LOR Loss of Resistance
LOR Letter of Reference
LOR Length of Residence (demographics)
LOR Lady of Rage (rap artist)
LOR Level Of Repair
LOR Liverpool Overhead Railway (1893-1956)
LOR Letter of Representation (legal document)
LOR Limit of Reporting
LOR Lunar Orbital Rendezvous
LOR Level of Responsiveness (emergency medicine and first aid)
LOR Life of Ryan (MTV reality show)
LOR Lift-Off Resist (engineering)
LOR Local Orthodox Rabbi
LOR London Oil Reports (petrochemical industry; UK)
LOR Locally-Optimum Rank (detector)
LOR Logical Operator Replacement
LOR Length of Read (genetics)
LOR League of Reason (Internet forum)
LOR Line Outage Recorder
LOR Laing O'Rourke PLC
LOR Lock-Out Relay (electric power)
LOR Limit Order Reconciliation
LOR Loan Origination Record
LOR Loss of Rents (Commercial Property Insurance)
LOR Loral Space and Communications Company (stock symbol)
LOR Letter of Requirements
LOR Late Orders Received (TL 9000)
LOR Level of Reward
LOR Launch and Orbit Rising
LOR Letter of Repair
LOR Limit of Responsibility
LOR LEC Order Request
LOR Low-Frequency Omnidirectional Range
LOR Likely Operational Range
LOR Language Operator Replacement
LOR L'Osservatore Romano (Italian; Vatican newspaper)
LOR List of Requirements
LOR Lepidoptera of Orientalic Region
LOR Loan Officer Registration (Michigan)

I feel more enlightened now.

Hell, i am impressed, so if I said LVR... Could u do as good:p
I can not compete with the above

Just off the top of my head :p

LVR Lachlan Valley Railway
LVR Large Vocabulary Response (Sprint)
LVR Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation (cosmetic surgery)
LVR Left Ventricular Remodeling
LVR Left Ventricular Reconstruction
LVR Leg Vascular Resistance
LVR Lever
LVR Line Voltage Regulator
LVR Loan to Value Ratio
LVR Louver
LVR Low Voltage Reconnect
LVR Low Voltage Reset
LVR Low Voltage Relay
LVR Low Voltage Release
LVR Large Volume Receiver (Canada Post)
LVR LRU Verification Rack
LVR Lung Volume Reduction

Last edited:
Hope you enjoy a long and happy retirement

Thank you!

More people need to think like you do.

Agreed, though we certainly struggled with it initially. We're all conditioned to follow a socially acceptable life path. Deviating from that tends to make people very uncomfortable.

Have friends doing the same thing. 35, just sold business now going to America to study film making for 2 years before travelling around the world with their kids (none as yet).

Great to hear! No kids for us yet, either (and none planned), but we've found plenty of people managing it with a family.

So either upskill to improve chances and get their quicker.....Or look at other options, assess lifestyle what you really need for comfortable lifestyle, I really like what homepage has to say, he makes sense, read his posts

Stress less:)

The options really do present themselves if you're willing to think outside the box. We had a bit of an advantage here as we've been expats for a number of years, so the foundation is already there.

What kind of work will you be doing online and how will you be picking up your contracts?

That one's a little complicated, as we have a number of things we're playing around with at the moment. Depending on your skill set, there are plenty of opportunities to pick up work...or, learn something new!

One important point here is that we probably won't need to pick up work if we budget appropriately, but plan to do things that we're interested in. If you're planning to jump into this with a work component as an important part of your budget, I'd suggest getting your business up and running (and sustainable) beforehand, or building a 6 month - 1 year cash buffer and bootstrapping it from somewhere like Chiang Mai.

Back