Timing for the next Fed. election

It needs to be brought up to date and the rigid party discipline broken. Have no idea how that would be done. Reducing their term to three years would be a start.

Perhaps a ten year term and no standing for re-election? Once elected you're immune to party threats of deselection etc and of the temptation to play the populist, thinking of the next election.

As for the senate, yes, Keating was right but we have had some extreme governments and the senate should be able to limit the damage they can do. It's a worry that it is failing in this regard.

It needs to be brought up to date and the rigid party discipline broken. Have no idea how that would be done. Reducing their term to three years would be a start.

Your post contradicts itself. On the one hand you praise the Senate for limiting "the damage" an elected Govt can do, but then suggest reducing their term in office down to 3 years to effectively match the House of Reps term ??

The very reason that only half are up for election every time the House of Reps is exposed to an election is to not have wholesale changeout during a big swing, thereby stabilising the ship somewhat.

If the Senate changed composition in a similar manner to the House every 3 years, you would see wild swings, where radical policy was introduced by one party and then radically removed again by the next party.....and to and fro it would be.

What you suggest as the cure would simply magnify the problem.

the rigid party discipline broken.

People in Australia, the vast majority of people, vote along party lines, not for individuals as such. Officially they do vote for individuals, and in the eyes of the AEC parties don't exist and it is individuals who are elected....but the people elected (other than independents) are simply there to represent the general philosophy of the party.

I saw this only too well. At a state level, our local member was a member of a party, and she held office for 3 terms (roughly 9 years). In that time she became very well known, obviously had a major office presence and went to all of these official functions and school events, and people generally liked her.

However, during her 3rd term, she got a bit big for her boots and told the party officials to get stuffed. You would have applauded her Thommo. She quit the party and sat the rest of her term as an independent. She spent the next two years building up her profile even higher and stood as an independent at great personal cost and effort.

Her former party simply selected another candidate and sure as eggs at the next election, everyone voted for him and she was turfed out. People didn't support her personally. They only supported her if she was the party representative.

To me, that was a graphic real life illustration of where the collective mindset of the Australian voting public is. We vote for party ideals and party policy, not individuals.....despite the undertone of Australian larrikinism where you've gotta be a rogue and go it alone.

People in Australia, the vast majority of people, vote along party lines, not for individuals as such. Officially they do vote for individuals, and in the eyes of the AEC parties don't exist and it is individuals who are elected....but the people elected (other than independents) are simply there to represent the general philosophy of the party.

Very true. Swinging voters decide elections, but they only have the power to decide between the two major parties because the majority of people will vote for the same party election after election.

As swinging voters would be more inclined to vote for Turnbull than Abbott, Turnbull would receive more votes than Abbott running as the Leader of the LP. Yet if Turnbull ran as an independent he would be annihilated because only swinging voters would consider voting for him. Dedicated Liberal voters will vote Liberal, dedicated Labor voters will vote Labor. As much as Turnbull is admired for flipping his own party off, he's only of any consequence so long as he's a member of that very party.

Anyway, in answer to the original question, I can't see an early election. I agree that Gillard will drag it out for as long as possible. Why call an election when you know you're going to lose? She has nothing to lose by putting it off but possibly something to gain.

Turnbull is only popular with Greens voters who would never vote for the Liberals anyway. That is the fallacy.

I don't agree with that.

There are a whole heap of moderates out there annoyed as hell with Gillard but with a fundamental dislike of Abbott and his agenda which is not in keeping with their moderate position, or even the very ethos of the Liberal party.

If Abbott remains, there will be a percentage that will vote ALP/Greens/Anyone else just to not vote for him. If Turnbull is leader they would vote Liberal.

But, in reality it will be the difference between a comfortable Liberal victory and an absolute whitewash.

I'm starting too think they may call the election early next year after Mr Rudd was talking on the ABC this morning and just in his worried tone about he may well end up on his backside just like most of his line-up in the face of old familiar truths,and the unknown and threatening new possibilities that surface each day..

Turnbull is only popular with Greens voters who would never vote for the Liberals anyway.

Hi Aaron,

It's probably more accurate to say most of those that have a left leaning (mostly Labor voting folk actually) would much prefer Turnbull over Abbott as leader of the Liberal Party.

This is not surprising really, as Turnbull demonstrated that he was more than willing to agree with most of the Labor Party policies, much to the chagrin of the rank and file Liberal Party members.

I guess that's why he was defeated in the vote to depose him.

As I've said before, the people who are left leaning bemoaning constantly for Turnbull to return as leader are barking up the wrong tree. He has no "electoral capital"....the most valuable commodity in politics, and his Party members don't support him and his views.

I still can't get my head around this fascination with leaders just yet. Perhaps I'm missing something. I know the media almost solely concentrate on these guys (Gillard / Rudd / Swan / Abbott / Hockey / Turnbull / Milne) but frankly, the party decide policy.....and the media simply ignore it.....yet that is what actually affects Joe Public in his ordinary day to day life.

Joe Public really couldn't give a rats about slips, trips, gaffes, he said, she said, and all of the other sordid stuff re: Thomson and Slipper.

They simply want the Parliamentarians to do the job they were elected to do with integrity and honesty....and don't act like a pork chop whilst you're doing it.

I reckon a big "pullback" from the Canberra media circus would be a great start.

Regarding Gillard slipping, I wish the editors of the media had not shown her falling.

The You-tube clip is disturbing, and the vicious comments below it are disgraceful.

The lady was wearing not the best shoes for walking on grass and accidently stumbled. Fortunately she wasn't hurt, her clothing wasn't sullied, and she was wearing a modest length skirt that protected her dignity.

Couldn't the media have just moved on.

If the Liberal Party uses that footage in any way, I'd be disappointed.

Regarding Gillard slipping, I wish the editors of the media had not shown her falling.

The You-tube clip is disturbing, and the vicious comments below it are disgraceful.

The lady was wearing not the best shoes for walking on grass and accidently stumbled. Fortunately she wasn't hurt, her clothing wasn't sullied, and she was wearing a modest length skirt that protected her dignity.

I didn't read any of the comments. They are usually disgraceful from both sides.
To be in a public office is to expect this sort of media scrutiny. The only thing Miss Gillard hurt was her dignity.

In July 2007, the then PM, Howard, fell as he went to a radio interview in Perth. It was replayed, many times over on all commercial stations, ABC & Sky News throughout the day and made light of by comedians afterwards.

No big deal in the end but given the 24/7 news cycle, be ready to see it a few times....

Hi Aaron,

It's probably more accurate to say most of those that have a left leaning (mostly Labor voting folk actually) would much prefer Turnbull over Abbott as leader of the Liberal Party.

This is not surprising really, as Turnbull demonstrated that he was more than willing to agree with most of the Labor Party policies, much to the chagrin of the rank and file Liberal Party members.

I like Turnbull for his business acumen. Unlike most pollies, who wouldn't be able to manage a McDonalds outlet, he at least has proven ability in being able to manage properly.

I have no idea what his policies are or whether they are more closely aligned to Labor. I just reckon he'd do a better job of running the country than that dingus Abbott. Or anyone else currently in federal politics.

I like Turnbull for his business acumen. Unlike most pollies, who wouldn't be able to manage a McDonalds outlet, he at least has proven ability in being able to manage properly.

I have no idea what his policies are or whether they are more closely aligned to Labor. I just reckon he'd do a better job of running the country than that dingus Abbott. Or anyone else currently in federal politics.
Turnbull is a merchant banker. [ie Bankster]

He is more urbane than Tony who is a little unfortunate there but it is mainly [I didn't say "only"] rusted on labor/greens who are pushing his barrow. He has more chance of leading them than the libs.

If you don't like the current rabble, close your eyes, hold your nose and vote for the only other option available.

Personally I think Tony is a decent man.

Agreed.

Unfortunately it's what people want to see it, it sells media. Says a lot about our society.

I read the story in today's CM and then noticed the frame by frame pics of the fall next to the article. Totally unnecessary.

I imagine it will be the next Gruen Transfer challenge. Make a political ad from either side using the footage to promote your party.

August 2013, I think. The budget actuals start to leak by mid-September.

To be perfectly honest, I think if Obama wins on November 6, Labor could do worse than calling the election immediately to take advantage of Gillard's current sympathy bounce and the temporary left-wing euphoria.

Can Julia hold her nerve that long? I accept that she is both tough and desperate, but I'm leaning towards a March election. The party machine will be urging the least worst time politically but most of the MPs and cross benchers will be wanting to enjoy their privilege as long as possible before certain defeat.

Take no notice of the 2PP vote, I reckon it is only "Voting intention" has any meaning. Preferred leader is bs.

Section 13 of the Constitution means that any election held before 3 August 2013 would be for the House of Representatives and the four Territory Senators. There cannot be a half-Senate election for state Senators before August 2013, and even then, the new Senators elected would not take their seats until 1 July 2014.​

This is the critical piece for me. IMO Australian voters will not take kindly at all to any political party who makes them go back to the polls unnecessarily. The general feeling is that the pollies should get their $#!& together and resolve things between themselves outside of the normal requirement for people to do their civic duty every three years.

Those who run crying back to the electorate for a clearer mandate because they can't get their way in the elected Parliament as assembled under the Constitution are not going to be considered in a very favourable light.

IMO instigating double dissolutions over pet issues runs a very real risk in the electorate as a result of this factor.

In the absence of something happening in the House to upset the numbers, I reckon the date will be after August as a result.

Back