Tinnanbar, Qld, anyone shed any light on this area please?

Came across this nice little area today online: Tinnanbar

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-qld-tinnanbar-2702446

I have no idea about the place but Im definitely interested in looking into the area for a nice quiet place to build and put up my feet finally.

Seems close to Bris (if your a bushy) but have no idea about the roads, amenities, shopping distances etc.

if anyone knows the area please post all pos and neg comments.

It will be most welcome...

Thanx

Do I know about Tinnanbar? I feel I could write a thesis on the place. First went there 1997 and fell in love with it. Have been hankering after a waterfront block there since 2000. We bought a duplex there (half holiday rental,other permanent) in Jan 2007, which was a little run down. Did up the gardens, put in a fence, repainted, new curtains etc and sold it (as we had bought a block on the water in Oct 08) for $60,000 profit in March 2009.

I have put a bit of info on my other post in caveat section, but as it is a favourite topic, will continue here. Tinnanbar is one of 5 little coastal villages on the Fraser Coast situated off the Maryborough/Tin Can Bay Road. From TCB going north they are Tinnanbar,Poona, Tuan, Boonooroo, Maaroom- all sleepy little holiday spots. In my opinion, Tinnanbar is nicest, then Poona.

Tinnanbar did have a caravan park right on the water (but this was closed and the land made into a small estate recently), but there are plenty of holiday houses for rent, from traditional fibro cottages through to very swish homes. Tinnanbar is going through a bit of a transformation, as are a lot of these places. Being 'discovered' hasn't lessened its charm, but has increased property prices. Whereas most places were owned by people who lived in the region and used them as holiday homes, there is an increasing number of professional people from Brisbane who have built holiday homes there. Our neighbours include doctors from Brisbane and retirees. Judy Brooks, the local real estate agent for Raine & Horne (07 41298298 or email [email protected]) has lived there for years and is very helpful, so what I don't know, she will. It's worthwhile checking Tinnanbar property on realestate.com as it gives a good idea of prices.

Now to the pros and cons:

+ very scenic as Tinnanbar looks north-east across the Sandy Straits to Fraser Island (which is very close) so is very picturesque.
+ very quiet, perfect for a relaxing holiday away from the hustle and bustle
+very small (permanent pop about 20?) two streets wide
+ no surf (could also be a -) so great for boating (we take our tinnie out), swimming, kayaking
+ great fishing/crabbing in the Straits and local streams
+lovely white sandy beach

- some of the points I consider to be positives, could be seen as negative. My city cousin had trouble comprehending she couldn't pop down and get a latte! The closest shop is a general store at Poona, closest town either Tin Can Bay (south) or Maryborough (north) which are both about 45km away, so feasible to live at Tinnanbar and commute for work (which is what I intended to do).
- road is part gravel, but gradually getting upgraded
-limited mobile phone coverage

Hmm, better stop, or I'll run out of space. If there is anything else you want to know, just ask. I am Tinnanbar obsessed, just ask my long suffering husband!!!!.

And another thing...

Amenities are limited to 2 boat ramps, public toilets, waterfront park with gas b-b-cues and public phone, but hey, what else do you need in paradise?

Came across this nice little area today online: Tinnanbar

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-qld-tinnanbar-2702446

I have no idea about the place but Im definitely interested in looking into the area for a nice quiet place to build and put up my feet finally.

Seems close to Bris (if your a bushy) but have no idea about the roads, amenities, shopping distances etc.

if anyone knows the area please post all pos and neg comments.

It will be most welcome...

Thanx

everything tiggy said.

the caravan park was developed at least two years ago and still has 5 out of 16 blocks for sale. it's a very illiquid area, just look at how many listings there are. a third of the village is for sale. having said that vendors don't tend to fire sell.

it is a lovely place, and was even better when the caravan park was there. the cp operated a small shop and ran an excellent new years party. it's a shame it's gone.

it's surrounded by state forest which has meant there will not be any more land. that may change with bligh selling off assets.

tiggy will confirm or deny, but i don't think the yield, if you're thinking of investing, would be very good.

Yes,it is more of a lifestyle, but I did say this in a previous post (see part of that post below). The number of holiday rental homes available seems to have dropped recently. Raine & Horne are no longer managing any holiday rentals, but there are still some privately owned ones. We purchased our duplex at Tinnanbar just as the caravan park was closed and we definitely did well in holiday rentals because of that. We rented the 3 bedroom for holiday and the 2 bedroom as a permanent. The only reason we sold it was to buy the waterfront land we now have. If you live in SE Qld area, Tinnanbar would be well worth a visit. Very pretty, quiet and relaxing. Also, as Ed Barton mentions, being surrounded by crown land restricts it's development. I think this is a good thing. Tinnanbar is so enchanting because of it's sleepy little feel.

First I will agree this is not an investment spot, but more a lifestyle destination and I believe I was quite upfront about that. Having said that, we made a good profit with the duplex we owned there for a couple of years. Building a holiday home at Tinnanbar would suit someone from Brisbane/Sunshine Coast/Wide Bay area because it is an easy drive. There is always the option of offering it for holiday rental also.

tiggy you're half way through the 7 week campaign you've set yourself. how's it going?

are you finding that the difficulties with building in this area is turning buyers off? or haven't you got that far?

Sorry, have been busy with work. 7 weeks deadline is no longer an issue as a rental house has been found, but I'll still keep it on realestate.com in case there is someone out there who might be interested. There have been lots of hits on the site and the agent has had a few people asking about the block, but no offers. I love the place though and am looking more at keeping the land and building there myself.

Don't know what 'difficulties with building' you mean? Please enlighten me if you have other information. There is no sewerage or town water, so this will add to the building cost, but it is a small community, after all. Even Rainbow Beach hasn't got sewerage (neither have we for that matter, and we live in Gympie - this is the country remember). I've contacted the Fraser Council a number of times about building and haven't come across anything major. The man who built our current house (who lives in Gympie) has recently completed 3 architect designed houses at Tinnanbar. He commuted daily, so this wasn't an issue for him.

I love the place though and am looking more at keeping the land and building there myself.

that's very understandable.

Don't know what 'difficulties with building' you mean? Please enlighten me if you have other information. There is no sewerage or town water, so this will add to the building cost, but it is a small community, after all. Even Rainbow Beach hasn't got sewerage (neither have we for that matter, and we live in Gympie - this is the country remember). I've contacted the Fraser Council a number of times about building and haven't come across anything major. The man who built our current house (who lives in Gympie) has recently completed 3 architect designed houses at Tinnanbar. He commuted daily, so this wasn't an issue for him.

i don't think the new council are very happy that the old council approved turning the caravan park into housing. lodge a building application and you will find out. how many houses have been built on the 'new' land? it's been a couple of years after all.

Hey Ed, you sound like you speak from experience. Are you a secret Tinnabar land owner? You're right, there haven't been any houses built as yet on the old caravan park, even though a few of the blocks have sold. I think it could be more a case of people buying waterfront blocks there as an investment (albeit long term) or for a retirement/holiday home. With the financial situation, maybe they have had to put these plans on hold.

My block is in the smaller earlier development of the vacant land next to the caravan park. Same area, soil type, block size, views etc. Of the 5 waterfront blocks, 3 have been built on (all expensive, architect designed homes). Ours and the block next door to us on the corner are still vacant. Of the 3 back blocks, 1 has been built on. None of the owners mentioned having major problems with the council when they wanted to build.

It is a pity about the caravan park being closed down and the land being chopped up. It was a wonderful little spot to camp, especially as dogs were welcome. I guess that's 'progress'.

Hey Ed, you sound like you speak from experience. Are you a secret Tinnabar land owner? You're right, there haven't been any houses built as yet on the old caravan park, even though a few of the blocks have sold. I think it could be more a case of people buying waterfront blocks there as an investment (albeit long term) or for a retirement/holiday home. With the financial situation, maybe they have had to put these plans on hold.

My block is in the smaller earlier development of the vacant land next to the caravan park. Same area, soil type, block size, views etc. Of the 5 waterfront blocks, 3 have been built on (all expensive, architect designed homes). Ours and the block next door to us on the corner are still vacant. Of the 3 back blocks, 1 has been built on. None of the owners mentioned having major problems with the council when they wanted to build.

It is a pity about the caravan park being closed down and the land being chopped up. It was a wonderful little spot to camp, especially as dogs were welcome. I guess that's 'progress'.
i have friends who have a house there and spend half their time there.

the old council gave permission to develop the caravan park when the master plan said it shouldn't have been. therefore the new council are not approving building. it's all third hand rumour and gossip so could be totally wrong. sounds like you block should be fine though.

i have friends who have a house there and spend half their time there.

the old council gave permission to develop the caravan park when the master plan said it shouldn't have been. therefore the new council are not approving building. it's all third hand rumour and gossip so could be totally wrong. sounds like you block should be fine though.

and gran owned a block before power came to t bar, before they added the extra st in 80's.

perhaps your block has a point of difference from the others?

if you want to sell it maybe you should build on it? a triplex?

it is very sad the caravan park folded (for less than a 100k i hear). i spent a couple of ny's down there. they put on a decent family event. the locals all sent their adult kids down to buy $100 worth of tickets to pay for the local fire brigade.

you can guarantee the locals will object to every application. as they object to the sealing of the road. they don't object to a caravan park.

I know this thread hasn't been posted on for awhile, and not sure anyone will reply, but - I was wondering if anyone could possible send me links to find a nice waterfront holiday home in Tinnanbar. I stayed there a few years ago with my boyfriends family and since then I have been dying to stay there again. Hopefully March next year.
I've searched for hours but can't find any?
If anyone can help, thanks in advance!

gday, i seen this on google while looking at our old camping spot.

a bit of our history
my parents used tinnanbar as a favourite camping spot in the early 80s, i was an 84 child and remember being there from such an early age. the caravan park was there, mind you, there was no roads going into it. at that stage we stayed in tents. we had friends who stayed in the township, next to the ''hilton'' which honestly hasnt changed a great deal.

we stayed there every school holidays, and usually once a month in between. the fishing and crabbing in those days was plentiful, i remember filling 20l buckets with sandcrabs.

after afew years we bought a caravan and eventually had it setup in the park as a permanent site, as alot of others did.
as the years went by, each time the place was busier and busier, we were regulars, knew most people and as young kids.

from my memories graham (im pretty sure was the owner of the park) and later on, the last owner was pete and his wife. they were the ones who built the house behind the kiosk.

we travelled up and down the northcoast throughout our teenage years and by far tinnanbar was the greatest fishing spot we found. the first little crk is mosquito crk, then mulligan crk, and around the corner is porters crk. porters crk was by far the best for catching mangrove jack.

the fishing deteriorated the busier the place got. the place where we would catch 100 whiting in an hour became quiet.

afew house blocks started to get developed right next to the park, we were devastated as our bike jumps were there. rumours of the park selling were true, our caravan was sold off, probably to be wrecked as it wasnt in the best of shape. and approx 6yrs ago was our last visit with the van.

i was in the area 3 months ago and decided to take a look. driving through the park i was in disbelief, everything was gone. and driving around the township, there were afew new houses but not alot different to how i remember.

as for investing i dont think it would be a money maker if thats what you wanted, but as a place to relax, i couldnt think of anything better. one day we hope to grab ourselves a place there and continue going back.

i do think the selling of the park, and the development has ruined the place, no matter what anyone says. having it there, camping areas and facilities, brought new life to the area, new people. looking at it now, its like a ghost town and that to me has ruined the charm of the place.

i just thought id share a little about how it used to be.

Outlast

the fishing deteriorated the busier the place got. the place where we would catch 100 whiting in an hour became quiet.

Outlast

I wonder why the fishing deteriorated?

I have been going to tinnanbar since I was 3, now 26, my father and grandfather have been camping and fishing there for over 40 years, (they had a sugar cane farm at Bauple)

Its an awesome little place and where I plan to retire, Since I've been watching the market there, 4 ish years, Prices haven't moved much at all, some have even dropped a little, So I wouldn't call it a great investment but its certainly a nice place to live.

the pros and cons are, Well Pros to some and cons to others

No boat access during low tide
gravel road
no shops
longish drive to nearest supermarket and hospital
slow erosion

I love the place and cant wait till I can afford to live there!
talk to gary and judy brooks if your keen as they know the area very well!

James

Back