To add a lockup garage or not?

Hi folks

we have been busy reno'ing our place in Northcote, and are not sure what value would a single lockup garage with some roof storage at the rear of the property add?
We already have 1 off street park (driveway) but my partner thinks it would be a good selling point to have an actual lockup garage/workshop accessible via the ROW.
What are people's thoughts? Will we get the money back if we do go ahead (~40k) for the lockup garage?

Thank you

I can't imagine it would not add value. Design it so that people can imagine it being a teenager retreat or something like that e.g. French doors on the side opening to the yard.

how big is the block? when i sold my PPOR in thornbury we chose not to put up a 2 car side by side garage off the ROW as while it would appeal to some it would also deter some given it would take up about 1/3 to 1/2 of the backyard. I ended up selling the kit i had purchased and just putting a roller door up.

Thanks Depreciator, thats a fantastic idea! Will definitely have a look at that with the builder.

The block size is 416sqm, and I think a single lockup would not be too overwhelming, but double definitely would be too much. My main concern was with the return we would get on the expense when we do sell...I don't want to over capitalize or something like that!

cheers

A mate of mine built a garage in his backyard. He did a good job and plumbed it so he could get a sink in. The side opens up to the yard and there is an awning. No car has ever been in there. It's probably one of the most used rooms in the house.

Back