To sell or not to sell...that is the question!

Discussion in 'Property Investment - Other' started by monique_d, 12th Mar, 2014.

  1. monique_d

    monique_d Member

    Joined:
    12th Mar, 2014
    Messages:
    4
    Location:
    Warner, Qld
    Good evening all

    I am new to this site and am enjoying reading the plethora of info that is on here. I have been attending several different seminars over the last few months and am just in my initial phases of paving myself a new and prosperous path!

    The first part in this process is to decide whether to sell my IP or not. I have sought advice from several different financial planners whom all have been on the fence about it.

    I bought a 4 bed brick property at Caboolture for $355k at the end of 2007, it went up substantially the following year and has now plummeted to around $320k. It is heavily negatively geared at around a cost of $14k out of pocket per year.

    I am just wondering what others out there would do if they were in the same boat - sell it now at a low price and wear the loss which will increase my mortgage on my PPOR, or hang in there hoping it turns around? Conservatively, it has already cost me about $150k.

    Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated :)

    Thanks
     
  2. Edmond Dantes

    Edmond Dantes Member

    Joined:
    12th Sep, 2008
    Messages:
    849
    Media:
    1
    Location:
    Sydney..
    Any opportunity to add value? Why has it cost you 150k!!?

    If you cant add value, get rid of it!
     
  3. monique_d

    monique_d Member

    Joined:
    12th Mar, 2014
    Messages:
    4
    Location:
    Warner, Qld
    The $150k loss includes the $14k out of pocket cost each year due to neg gearing and the rest is in capital loss due to decrease in value.

    It is on a large block and is a typical family home. Could use a facelift but not sure it would be worthwhile as properties are very cheap in the area...
     
  4. marg4000

    marg4000 Member

    Joined:
    27th Dec, 2006
    Messages:
    3,906
    Location:
    Brisbane
    Here's how I would look at it.

    In one hand I have $320K. In the other I have your IP.

    Which hand would you choose?
    Marg
     
  5. impala67

    impala67 Member

    Joined:
    15th Jul, 2009
    Messages:
    879
    Location:
    Melbourne
    :eek::confused::( +1 from me.

    Are there any future developments in the suburb or locality?
     
  6. monique_d

    monique_d Member

    Joined:
    12th Mar, 2014
    Messages:
    4
    Location:
    Warner, Qld
    A project started a year or so ago to start looking at building a satellite city near to the area to however, this is in its very early stages and is not due to be completed until 2031, and is of course subject to many requirements along the way. It has been identified by Council as a significant growth area in the long-term.

    This is obviously a long way away.....at this rate any benefit of keeping the property won't be obtained for another 20 years!
     
  7. flightcrank

    flightcrank Member

    Joined:
    3rd Jul, 2007
    Messages:
    73
    Location:
    gold coast
    property is generally a buy and hold type of investment. Due diligence prior to purchase would have told you most of that information, before you bought the house.

    you will always win holding property over the long term.
     
  8. wategos

    wategos Member

    Joined:
    27th Apr, 2009
    Messages:
    589
    Location:
    beach, NSW
    Problem is 20 years plus is a large chunk of lifespan to wait to get your money back. In the meantime you could be getting much better returns elsewhere.
    Waiting for that long term.... I'd call it a major loss rather than a win.
     
  9. mystery

    mystery Renovating another

    Joined:
    19th May, 2007
    Messages:
    742
    Location:
    NSW
    I vote you hold it for another 2-3 years. Properties up there seem to be getting back to the 2007 levels ..... There is talk by the so called property experts of a good couple of years of growth as SE Qld plays catchup to other major cities ...... If that is the case you'll kick yourself for missing out on some capital gains.

    It's up to you ... can you afford to pay the holding costs over that time? .... The other option is as Marg said:
    Good luck with your decision

    Mystery
     
  10. bez23

    bez23 Member

    Joined:
    3rd Aug, 2013
    Messages:
    275
    Location:
    Adelaide, SA
    I think that it is not advisable to sell in this market unless you :

    1) can't afford to hold it any longer (cash flow shortage )
    2) can sell and buy another IP which would give a much better return ( cash flow and cg). Not sell yo buy doodads/ holidays

    Otherwise I'd rather just keep investing and the property should go back to pre GFC price in the next few years .
     
  11. AAA

    AAA Member

    Joined:
    23rd Dec, 2010
    Messages:
    48
    Location:
    Melbourne
    What do you plan to do if you sell?
    Have you thought of the reasons why you bought the property?
     
  12. Angel

    Angel Member

    Joined:
    29th Mar, 2010
    Messages:
    2,210
    Media:
    1
    Location:
    Brisbane, Qld
    Are you sure it is costing you $14,ooo a year? Have you taken your tax refund into consideration - Our houses are about $100 a week cash flow negative, each, then we counter balance that against income taxes that we don't pay.
    maybe the situation isn't as bad as it first seems.

    What is the rent you receive?
     
  13. monique_d

    monique_d Member

    Joined:
    12th Mar, 2014
    Messages:
    4
    Location:
    Warner, Qld
    Lots of good points being raised....all totally valid.

    Mystery and Bez23 - Half of me has been thinking the same way. If I wait a few more years the loss may not be so great. Unfortunately this is what I have been thinking the last 2 years and at this point, has not worked. You would think hanging in there longer would have to see some growth.....surely!

    The other half sits with the rest who think it might be best to bail now and find something better to invest in.

    AAA - I am hoping to buy another IP, but this time I will do the complete opposite to what I was originally taught. Will definitely be going for a cash positive property next time around!!!

    Angel - All of the depreciation benefit has been exhausted on this property so the tax advantage is now quite minimal. I also secretly wonder who my tax accountant is working for, me or the ATO! Think it might be time to also shop for a new one as I am sure we are missing out somewhere along the line!

    Thanks all for your contributions. Guess it just really highlights how much of a gamble either decision is really!
     
  14. impala67

    impala67 Member

    Joined:
    15th Jul, 2009
    Messages:
    879
    Location:
    Melbourne
    Just make sure it is a property orientated accountant.
    :)