to sub divide or not?

W

WebBoard

Hi,

There's a house near me that has been struggling to sell - so I've checked it out but can't get the figures to stack up even if we get it 'dirt cheap'.

So I've been reading and thinking - and was wondering if I could sub divide the block (I think its 66'x 98') - and sell off the back yard. The thing is, its not a corner block - so the rear block would have to be accessed via a driveway past the front house.

What does this mean for the land value of the back block?
Has anyone done this before?
Is it worth the hassle?

Kylie

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

I have wondered about the relative value of houses on battleaxe blocks. In Brisbane, I have come across some in standard subdivisions 5-10 years old. Houses are equivalent to the rest of the street but with nil visibility from the street. Obviously street appeal is low, in fact I drove past 4 times before I found it. However security is high. I would think that rent would be the same as other houses. For my purchase probably safe if take off an extra 5%-10% off purchase price of house and land.

Stirling, Adelaide

Reply: 1.1

Hi,

One idea I've been toying with regarding battleaxe blocks, is 'cause of the "handle" it would make a real nice "presentation" extrance with nice long driveway, lights and small neat bushes, it would make a real big impact on visitors, and if you had electronic/remote gates you could pass it off as a "mono gated estate" or something.

Michael G

Back