Today I became a criminal

Come to think of it - none of my PM's use photos for any of my properties when they're listed. They just have one shot of the houses from the outside (years old), then people can arrange inspections as they want (they don't hand out keys) or my PM's do whatever they do to get people in.

I'd find it frustrating on the renters side, but as a LL it doesn't seem to be any impediment to finding tenants.

We may have a good ending to the story.

Turned up to the inspection that I booked yesterday. Agent was very friendly and said to drop by the office if I was interested to speak to the main PM, this guy was just her assistant who does the open houses.

Filled out the application form at their office and surprised her with all my supporting documentation which I had already printed out and she sat down with me while I ran her through everything and I had the opportunity to explain about the no rental history, although I do own property etc. Then put down a $500 deposit (sign of good faith I guess, but seems to be standard practice for LJ Hooker as it is listed on their application form).

2hrs later and the owner has approved our application and we have arranged an appointment to sign the new lease tomorrow. I will feel a lot better once we sign though, as nothing is ever final until you get it in writing!

This is by far the best rental agent I have dealt with during my search, I have the impression that she has been a PM for many years now which may have made all the difference.

I also got 12 months, so you shouldn't have to hear me complaining again until at least this time next year ...but hopefully longer!

Congrats!

Maybe having all those horrid experiences helped you appreciate this great PM...every cloud has a silver lining :)

BB,
That is great news, congrats.
You can give us a view from "the other side".
Are you going to be asking for fly screens, a/c, patio shade etc?:D

Signed, sealed, delivered.

Big plug to LJ Hooker Carlingford, where I have dealt with 3 staff from the property management team and they have all been extremely helpful and not even once did they question if I am a criminal.

Hopefully the end of this thread now :D

My best friend had a couple of friends move to Darwin a couple of years ago. They are both doctors and had very high workloads. They found property managers would not call them back and the ones that did were not flexible with viewing times. They gave up and purchased instead - sales people called them back! It seems to be a pretty common experience.

Cheers,
Jody

Inflexible viewing times seems really counterintuitive.

They are invariably during work hours, so if you have a fulltime job you have to take time off to go to an inspection. If you're unemployed or parttime, you get it easy. And then they ask for your employment records ...

One day someone may realise this and tell all the PMs of Australia to have evening and weekend inspections for rentals. And pigs might fly too.

Inflexible viewing times seems really counterintuitive.

They are invariably during work hours, so if you have a fulltime job you have to take time off to go to an inspection. If you're unemployed or parttime, you get it easy. And then they ask for your employment records ...

One day someone may realise this and tell all the PMs of Australia to have evening and weekend inspections for rentals. And pigs might fly too.

I think we threw out common sense with the baby & the bathwater a while back, so I think your'te right pigs might fly first

We found a similar issue when we first moved to Sydney and rented. We wanted a longterm lease (3 years) and were advised that we had to rent the property for 6 months before the LL would agree. That's fine no issue.

Six months goes by and we contact the PM. After two months of regularly following up we get a notice to vacate as apparently the LL is coming back from overseas and wants to move in. Not happy Jan.

As we had the ability to buy we advised the PM that we would not be able to vacate until we settled on another property. Not a happy PM.

Went to pay the rent for the period beyond notice to vactae and settlement (about three weeks) and the PM refused to accept the payment stating that as we 'must' vacate in accordance with the notice.

Having our own rentals we knew it would have to go to tribunal and that by the time it did we would have vacated. Explained this to the PM but they still would not accept payment. We stated that if they did not accept payment now, we would not be making a payment later. Still no go.

They then tried to get a payment after the notice date and we refused. We left when our property settled and they kept the bond. They ended up ahead but considering the BS from the LL, chances are we wouldn't have seen the bond anyway.

The PM probably thought we were ******** tenants however the issue arose because either the LL was dishonest about their intentions for the property or the PM never informed them of our request for a longterm lease. Either way I'd rather buy than rent any day.

If your initial lease was up after 6 months they can ask you to vacate - there is nothing you can do about it. I would think you to be a ****** tenant if you failed to vacate by the correct date as well.

There are thousands of people in this position, moving house to house datses don't always line up perfectly - you do what everyone else does and put all your furniture in storage for the time in between. Instead of being a total PITA to everyone involved for your own financial gain (NOT paying moving and storage costs). Why do you think you are better than everyone else and don't have to abide the law ???

The LL might not have been dishonest, you don't know the reason he decided to come back to Australia and take possession of his property which he has EVERY right to do with the appropriate notices.

And I would much rather own than rent too !

Instead of being a total PITA to everyone involved for your own financial gain (NOT paying moving and storage costs). Why do you think you are better than everyone else and don't have to abide the law ???

Bargain Hunter had every right to do what he did. He made it perfectly clear from the beginning that he wanted a long term lease. The PITA in this case is the LL.

Bargain Hunter had every right to do what he did. He made it perfectly clear from the beginning that he wanted a long term lease. The PITA in this case is the LL.

Well, yes & no (????)

I mean, can't an owner change their mind ?

Did the owner / PM not advise the tenany within the guidelines ?

Not syaying it makes bargain hunter's situation easier for him & his family, but what did the landlord actually do wrong ?

Sure, an owner can change their mind. It happens all the time. It just did not appear to be the case in this instance.

The point that Bargain Hunter was making, is that it appeared from the conversations that were had from the PM that the LL was not informed of our intention in the first place, or had completely disregarded it. It was made perfectly clear from the start that a long term lease was what was requested.

Sure, an owner can change their mind. It happens all the time. It just did not appear to be the case in this instance.

The point that Bargain Hunter was making, is that it appeared from the conversations that were had from the PM that the LL was not informed of our intention in the first place, or had completely disregarded it. It was made perfectly clear from the start that a long term lease was what was requested.

Sorry skater.. Ii understood, you signed a 6 mth lease and told at close to the end of the lease that the owner didn't want to renew itr - doesn't this happen all the time ?

Could this not have happened even if the owner was made aware that you wanted a longer lease jsut as easily as it happened (assuming) with the owner not being aware acuase the PM may not have told them ? Couldn't it have jsut happened cause the owner changed their mind ?

Just saying, that I've read here the suggestion to landlords for situations where it was suggested to not renew at end of lease ?

I guess I can't see what was different here..... (?)

Mum, Dad, peoples circumstances change - you know that.

I'm actually kind of ashamed of the way you reacted in this situation - it's not fair but it happens. The PM wasn't right in being so rude to you, but you had no right to stay without consent - whether you paid up to the date you left or not.

Imagine if the tables were turned, how would you feel? If you were the LL and had to seek alternate accommodation for 2 weeks because your tenant wouldn't comply with the notice period. You'd be mighty annoyed and label them as "scumbag" tenants - so what makes you any different in this situation?

The PM works for the LL, 6 months ahead you don't know what could change. Someone could die, there could be a natural disaster, financial hardships etc. Any number of factors could change in 6 months - no one can control that. For all you know, and the previous PM knew, the LL had every intention to let us stay there for years.

Of course the PM may not have been able to let it and lied through their teeth about the situation, but surely you'd give them the benefit of the doubt? Even if they are rude.

A PMs job isn't easy, and it's not pleasant when people purposely make it even worse.

It was made perfectly clear from the start that a long term lease was what was requested.

Indeed - the operative word being "requested".

Going by the story however, the operative word being "long term lease request denied - short term 6 month lease granted".

What was made perfectly clear in writing by the Landlord on the Lease documentation was that a 6 month term was granted....and no more. That was obviously executed by all parties.

What you supposedly said prior to any documentation being drawn up doesn't matter....it only matters what is written down and signed off. But then, being experienced Landlords you both know that.

Have to agree. Even as an 'evil landlord' :)D) you never know when life's going to turn around and smack you in the face. Stuff happens and you may need to desperately move back into one of your IP's. You're all set for the date, have given the required notice and then been told by your PM that your tenants aren't moving till X because it doesn't suit them. So now you have to move in with family or a hotel and move all your stuff to ???

Indeed - the operative word being "requested".

Going by the story however, the operative word being "long term lease request denied - short term 6 month lease granted".

What was made perfectly clear in writing by the Landlord on the Lease documentation was that a 6 month term was granted....and no more. That was obviously executed by all parties.

What you supposedly said prior to any documentation being drawn up doesn't matter....it only matters what is written down and signed off. But then, being experienced Landlords you both know that.

This reminds me of something I remember you wrote a while back Dazz, and I've acutally brought it up in conversatoin a couple of times..

Something about insisting on doing busienss with peoipel who don't want to do business with you - renting residential proeprty to tenants :D

I don't think it's alwasy due to unreasonabale people. Skater & Bargain hunter seem quite reasonable logical and trustworthy. I think it's just the NATURE of the human need for housing etc that makes it emotional and difficult etc.

Thankfully, i've been pretty lucky so far.

Last edited:
Yes jaycee,

They both seem very reasonable and mature, that's why I cannot understand why they would act like that.

It doesn't matter what you say to a PM, it only matters what the Landlord grants you in writing.

Back