Toilet pipe repair

Hi All. I've got an IP (circa 1960) with an old style S trap toilet that is cemented into an earthenware (terracotta,clay) pipe. There are "hairline" (or slightly larger) cracks around the earthenware collar and a couple on top in the cement as well. There's a tiny bit of seepage after every flush that keeps this area slightly damp, but not enough for most people to notice or care.

Question: Is there any use trying to silicon the cracks or fill the cracks with more cement? Or any product that could fix the problem?

Thanks for any ideas or experiences.

I must admit, I hate earthenware collars with a WC cemented in. If the toilet has to ever be popped up then you are almost guaranteed to break the pan collar + outlet! Very hard to get it out in one piece.

If the crack seems like it's getting pretty bad and looks isn't too much of a concern, I would use a product called ferapro (sp?). It's basically like a 2 part resin that you mix up and then work onto the joint. It then goes hard and should hold it together and give it some strength. Make sure you wet your fingers with water + detergent because you won't have fun getting it off!

If I didn't have any of that then just use some translucent roof & gutter silicon. Clean the area up and make sure it is nice and dry. Apply the silicon and make sure that the toilet isn't used for 24 hours to allow it to properly dry and set.

As for the cracks in the sand and cement, just make up a small mixture of sand and cement and apply over the cracks - or you could use silicon again!

Silicon is a plumbers best friend ;)

Hi All. I've got an IP (circa 1960) with an old style S trap toilet that is cemented into an earthenware (terracotta,clay) pipe. There are "hairline" (or slightly larger) cracks around the earthenware collar and a couple on top in the cement as well. There's a tiny bit of seepage after every flush that keeps this area slightly damp, but not enough for most people to notice or care.

Question: Is there any use trying to silicon the cracks or fill the cracks with more cement? Or any product that could fix the problem?

Thanks for any ideas or experiences.

I wish I could share something but I'm no plumber, but as far as I remember when I called a plumber to fix the job, he recommend to use silicon to fix it...

"Teddy said it was a hat, So I put it on. Now dad is saying, "where the heck's the toilet plunger gone?" ~ home maintenance adelaide

Back