too many kids for the car? what to do.

We had one of the early Kia Carnival "engine faliure" 1999-2002 models. Bought it new in 1999 and had absolutely no problem until the engine faliure at 80000k and after 6 years. While I wasn't happy at the problem at the time, Kia came to the party and replaced the engine, even though it was out of warranty. Was a terrific car otherwise. Very versatile and fantastic on a trip. My only complaint would be that they are a bit cumbersome in the tight spots. Engine problem was solved by the 2002 models onwards. The later models are much better I hear.

Anyhow, there are very few cars that claim to be seven seaters that can actually carry seven and their gear properly. If you need a true seven seater with space for luggage, stay away from ALL the 4wds, and most of the smaller "people movers" with toy 3rd row seats.

The ones to check out are Carnival, Odyssey, Voyager, Tarago etc.

I would recommend the Carnival as it is great value for money and is available with a diesel engine (8.5l/100km combined cycle).

Andrew, Have a look at Mitsubishi Delica Space gear 4WD. Comes in 7 or 8 seater versions and drives and feels just like a car. You could pick up a good late model one for under 20K in either 2.8 lt dsl or V6 petrol. They are imported but parts are easy to get.

Get an older Torago if you don't mind vans (i think they are dangerous so wouldn't buy one)

Otherwise an older Patrol/Land Cruiser that has the extra seat in that back (7 seater). I think Pajero's had them too?

Should get an older patrol/crusier for $8-20k depending on the model you want.

I faced this issue some 18 years ago and now with older kids could go back to a small car.

Vans eg tarago are fabulous
Firstly toyota is usually very low maintenance and reliable
secondly you have room for friends as kids will want friends
and for kids and shopping and the amounts of shopping that comes with a bunch of kids.
Its wonderful to drive something that has room for all that.
When you need to move a desk or something its so easy too.
I miss having a van and room for so much.
As long as it hasnt got too much mileage on them a second hand one should be fine. over 180 km often they are breaking down, but i got a 12 year old toyota with only 100 km and its still problem free some years later.

get plenty of ease in seating, space for shopping ,school bags etc and ask mechanics which are the least problem free. They are a great resource.

We've been looking at upgrading as well with the three billy lids (10, 5 & 2) and will probably do so next year with the Kia Grand Carnival looking to be the vehicle of choice at the moment, gotta be able to fit a parm 'and' the shopping in the back ;)

Back