Toongabbie - Getting upgrades to the train station, area lifiting up

Hi All,

Since I have an interest in Parramatta surrounds, wanted to shed light on the area. Toongabbie falls under Parramatta, Blacktown and Holroyd city councils. I think the Parramatta side is the nicest.

- 8km from Parramatta (10 min by train)
- 8km from the Norwest business park
- The North side is just 4km from Winston Hills Mall (6min drive as per Google)
- 6km to Blacktown.

So it's a pretty central location.

Gentrification
Seems spending in the area is ramping up. Should follow Wentworthville prices. People keep rubbishing the area but lets admit, it may never be as desirable as Wenty but with being 2.5km away only (2nd station after Wenty) and being 200k (at least) cheaper does present better value for buyers. 600 sqm properties are going for 850k.

A lot of gentrification is happening with duplex builds popping up. A lot of houses are old. While the newer ones (or bigger ones although a tad old) are tightly held so this will push people to knock down rebuild.

Convenience
Very convenient as well with a big Woolworths, Post Office, Gloria Jeans, Dry Cleaners, a number of food shops (Sri Lankan, Indian, Thai, Turkish) on the main street.

The building with Woolworths is soon getting apartments on top, with 3 bed rooms selling from 689k - which is expensive and you could have bought a good block for that a year ago.

Government Spending
Things are certainly looking up for the area especially with the following train station upgrade the residents have been looking forward to.

The one downside is, the station only gets slower trains so depending on what train you get the ride to the city can be 45 or 50 minutes (and 10 minutes to Parramatta). Ride to city could be faster but it's not bad..

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ras-and-lighting/story-fngr8i5s-1227379727153

Last edited:
That's good to know, should help a little bit. It's a good entry point into the market for that region though. Clean up the area and desirability will improve.

Forgot to mention, Dominos just opened up on the main business street (Aurelia St)...Good to see some spending happening.

The suburb has changed in the last 15 years, I'm not sure the culture has improved but it's certainly different to 15 years ago.
I hated that I had to buy here as it was all we could afford at the time however it has served us well and helped us establish a pretty substantial portfolio.
So please keep talking Toongabbie up so I can retire soon :cool:

its a rubbish area compared to wentworthville/westmead, Wouldnt say its a rubbish area comparative to sydney in a whole.

Toongabbie used to be cheaper back in the days (according to my old man) as it was flood proned (notsure if thats change due to infrastructure or people perspective). Seven hill used to be more attractive back then (within my community) if wentworthvile/pendle hill wasnt affordable.

Looking back a few years when i was looking to purchase it seemed toongabbie prices were higher than seven hills, looking now it seems to be around the same.

In terms of the people i remember a few years ago where wenworthville/pendle hill were places to be cautious of in the middle of night due to undesirables hanging out. Seems as if these suburbs have improve before toongabbie, but can see toongabbie has improved a little an on the road to improvement.

The only thing i prefer about wenworthville and pendle hill is that lot of the houses are under holyroyd council, where development rules are less lenient than parramatta and lot lenient than blacktown for smaller developments (2-3 houses)

its a rubbish area compared to wentworthville/westmead, Wouldnt say its a rubbish area comparative to sydney in a whole.

Obviously, the further East you go the better and hence more expensive it gets. That's like saying Wentworthville/Westmead is rubbish compared to Homebush/Strathfield? :confused:

Toongabbie used to be cheaper back in the days (according to my old man) as it was flood proned (notsure if thats change due to infrastructure or people perspective). Seven hill used to be more attractive back then (within my community) if wentworthvile/pendle hill wasnt affordable.

Looking back a few years when i was looking to purchase it seemed toongabbie prices were higher than seven hills, looking now it seems to be around the same.

That's very subjective if it's within your community who prefer Seven Hills, which isn't a representation of all other communities living in Sydney. And your community isn't really a benchmark of what makes a good area selection. There are a lot more factors to consider. If you REALLY know the area, Seven Hills prices are 100k-150k behind Toongabbie. Clearly you don't know the area and are commenting just because your community prefers Seven Hills.

By the way the flooding is 1:100. If you pick your purchase correctly, there are areas that don't lie in that flood zone. Pendle Hills is in fact where the greater flood area lies.

I think Seven Hills is a **** hole. I guess that's a blanket statement as there are nicer parts...but then just saying because you've put a blanket comment anyway. There are good and bad pockets everywhere.

The factors I mention increase the desirability of the area to working families.

Seems as if these suburbs have improve before toongabbie, but can see toongabbie has improved a little an on the road to improvement.

I guess, if you don't like it, then you may need to keep moving further out as an old knockdown house is going around 850k. And you may if you don't need to commute to city etc.

Where would people with AVERAGE incomes buy? If high income earners are buying around these areas :confused::rolleyes: One of my uni mates whose a high income earner bought in Glenwood and in hindsight says, he should have bought in Toongabbie.

People have a habit of commenting blindly. Now I understand skater's frustration about people rubbishing the Blacktown region which has lead Sydney in capital growth in this current boom/rising market.

I see youve interpreted my comments in a negative way

I only mentioned rubbish as you mentioned people rubbishing, what i meant was it is not rubbish. only people in more expensive suburbs may consider it rubbish.

Also i may have never permanently lived in the suburb but i spend majority of my social life in the area (only go home to sleep pretty much), so yes i have viewed many lovely things and many ugly things in that suburb.

My communitive was mentioned exactly because of the points you made though. I was not speaking for everyone and i was talking about a time when i was 10 years old so did not have much of a clue.

And yes i have owned property in the area (so far only properties i have owned is western sydney) and am on the hunt in the area

Just made an opinion of what ive seen, and yes i agree with you id personally buy in toongabbie over seven hills if the price is similar from what i can see over recent sales it is.

Not sure what your objective of this post is but no need to get so defensive.

Back