Top 10 most affordable QLD suburbs

I am always skeptical of these lists however they always make way for good conversation/debate lol. The latest list provided by PRDnationwide revels that Queensland suburb of Charleville is the state’s most affordable place to live.

According to the study, Charleville was the least expensive suburb with a median price of $140,000, while Tara and Gayndah finished second and third respectively with house prices below $155,000.

Note most of these suburbs are situated in rural Queensland.

Check the rest of the list below.

Top 10 affordable suburbs

Charleville: $140,000

Tara: $151,000

Gayndah: $155,000

Mount Morgan: $160,000

St George: $187,250

Rockhampton City: $195,000

Harlaxton: $215,000

Oakey: $216,750

Home Hill: $219,500

Stanthorpe: $225,000

What do you think??? is it just more fluff or is it worth while looking into

gawd, I remember it like yesterday when they couldnt GIVE houses in Mount Morgan away..

I remember looking at the QLD public Trustee website with Mt Morgan houses at 40k. That was about 8 years ago I think........

My how times change...:p

gawd, I remember it like yesterday when they couldnt GIVE houses in Mount Morgan away..

I remember looking at the QLD public Trustee website with Mt Morgan houses at 40k. That was about 8 years ago I think........

My how times change...:p

i think redfern was the same once upon a time? lesson there;)

Charleville: $140,000 Far removed from a lot of places.

Tara: $151,000 Possibly the worst socio-economic town in QLD

Gayndah: $155,000 Meh...

Mount Morgan: $160,000 Meh now...

St George: $187,250 From what I hear....dump

Rockhampton City: $195,000 I don't know why Rocky is so cheap

Harlaxton: $215,000 ???

Oakey: $216,750 Undervalued, being so close to Toowoomba

Home Hill: $219,500 Needs more infrastructure

Stanthorpe: $225,000 I'm biased, but I like this town.

Charleville: $140,000 - Mate bought a place out here last year and I had a look. Large abbatoir set up to handle export of roo/goat meat overseas. Not sure what's going on now that Russia have cut back on roo meat, but still many cash flow +ve places available when I was looking last year.

Tara: $151,000 - Also CF+ve places available, would be interesting to see what happens when the gas takes off in the Surat Basin. Tara is a little over an hr away from current GF Powerstations. Town had a bad name, not sure whether this has changed?

Gayndah: $155,000 - I like it! Beautiful town, plenty of agriculture, had a look for places here late last year. Bought somewhere else so stopped looking.

Mount Morgan: $160,000 - Mate lives here and loves it. Houses were under $50k when I bought my place in Rockhampton 4 years ago. Town has undergone a change over the past few years. Only 20-30min from Rocky/Gracemere so not bad. Heard a rumor about mining going on a larger scale there again. Probably dreaming!

St George: $187,250 - Would love to check it out. Had mates on a property out that way and they love the town. Don't know much about it.

Rockhampton City: $195,000 - Biased about this one, bought a place here, should have bought more. Love the town.

Harlaxton: $215,000 - Toowoomba suburb. Been looking into Toowoomba, not bad returns.

Oakey: $216,750 - Close to Toowoomba, closer to mining/gas areas

Home Hill: $219,500 - The bountiful Burdekin! Sugar, fishing 1hr to Townsville. What more could you want?? Returns aren't that bad either.. Slightly cheaper than Ayr (on the other side of the Burdekin river)

Stanthorpe: $225,000 - Sorry, don't know much about Stanthorpe. Only been in SE Qld for a few months. Would like to check out Stanthorpe and Warwick.

Thanks for posting this danielkanoon!

I'm going to check out Harlaxton now Icarus. Thanks for the tip! :)

Here's the fun I've had with Mt Morgan...

Mt Morgan Stats: 5yr growth 159%. 3yr growth 53%. Last quarter +5%. Gross rental yield 6% *minimum*.

Current relevant activity: blue collar commuter suburb for gracemere, rockhampton, and growing industrial area between gladstone & rockhampton.

I bought in Mt Morgan when I was living in Spring Hill, Brissy. It's my 'training/practice' land. Paid $45k for a large town block, put in a DA with Council to split the block (only cost about 4k cash), and the resulting 518m2 & 507m2 parcels were together revalued for $75k. The bloomin' thing gave me better CG than my Spring Hill apartment did that year!

Great practice, and a good trial of survey folk within the region to see who I'd like to work with (and ruled one out) for future stuff around the region.

I risked less than the cost of the mid priced new car I was considering buying instead, but lower risk again because it's a certainty that the car would have been worth almost nothing in 5yrs.

Now I'm using the block to trial a builder I'm thinking about using for higher cost developments in Central Queensland. I've been able to build with GRV based construction finance, and it'll be cashflow +ve from the start. I'll get 150 - 200 per week out of it and rent out to local Council, Hospital, or school staff, with a $75k construction cost through a prefab supplier. At $150 per week it'll be $230 per month cashflow +ve before council rates (and rates are cheeeeeeeeeap!).

In the mean time, the block's little equity offering has combined with other things to help me buy a triplex and a hillside house as investments in Rockhampton.

Equity is still equity. It's all good. Don't discriminate! ;)

PJ

Last edited:
In the mean time, the block's little equity offering has combined with other things to help me buy a triplex and a hillside house as investments in Rockhampton.

PJ

Rock on PJ. Could be tempted by a little looky at Rocky myself. I like the sound of the name. :D

Have you dodged the fires up there? How are the council with small scale developments? :)

Rock on PJ. Could be tempted by a little looky at Rocky myself. I like the sound of the name. :D

Have you dodged the fires up there? How are the council with small scale developments? :)

Thanks Rockstar, yeah I spent much of the weekend helping my Frenchville suburb tenants prepare for the fire front, but the threat to lives and property didn't manifest itself thanks to some hard yakka and good work from over 100 firefighters and co.

Hmm... "Rockstar invests in Rocky" has a good ring to it. lol :cool:
Just please don't steal my deals! :p

The council was amalgamated recently and now controls mt morgan, yeppoon, emu park, rocky and gracemere urban centres and is very good with small scale developments. The fees are quite low, but they're pulling their socks up and redoing their town plan etc so the window of opportunity is only about 18mths before app costs and conditions are comparable with Sunny Coast, Cairns, Mackay etc.

Gladstone is also receptive to small scale developments. I'm also interested in Bundaberg, but haven't checked out things there yet.

No worries PJ, happy to help! Might have to borrow a bit of your local Rocky knowlege sometime! :) I've just moved away from CQ down to the big smoke.

Rockstar and others, if you are looking at places in Rocky, make sure that you check the Rocky City Council for flood prone areas. Otherwise your waterviews may become a little closer after big falls in the area.

http://www.rockhampton.qld.gov.au/c... Rockhampton/Lakes Creek Residential Area.pdf

Will have to find the address of this place and see if it falls into this zone. http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=98099366&s=qld&tm=1256167007

Back