Top 10 posters in each forum

Sim

Administrator
I wrote a little SQL, did a little importing into Excel, made a couple of graphics, uploaded a few files, and so we have some graphs showing the top 10 posters in each of the major forums (didn't take all that long really) !!!

/forums/photopost/data/506/1PropertyInvestment-General.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1AddingValue.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1WhereToBuy.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1PropertyManagement.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1InnovativeTechniques.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1AccountingTax.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1PropertyFinance.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1PropertyMarketEconomics.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1LegalIssues.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1InformationResources.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1InvestorPsychology.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1CaveatEmptor.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1HelpAndFeedback.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1MeetingPoint.png

/forums/photopost/data/506/1CoffeeLounge.png

Dear Sim,

Thanks for sharing the info.

Must us see how nicely addicted some of us are to this great info resource and community. :)

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Cmon Geoff,

How could I compete with you, with beautiful warm weather, sunny days and so many outdoor activities on offer what chance do I have against someone living in -10 degrees. :D

My son leaves for Canberra on Saturday. Last night I couldn't find my winter pj's. My wife had packed them for my son to wear.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Originally posted by Kevin Hockey
Cmon Geoff,

How could I compete with you, with beautiful warm weather, sunny days and so many outdoor activities on offer what chance do I have against someone living in -10 degrees. :D

My son leaves for Canberra on Saturday. Last night I couldn't find my winter pj's. My wife had packed them for my son to wear.

Kev

Kev,

If it's so good up there, why do you need winter pj's?

And you're a professional. You can do all this in your own time. But if you don't, well, it maybe perhaps almost be regarded as work activities.

Well, that would at least get you off the hook with MrsKH. I don't have that excuse :D

Hi Sim,

Great charts! Now we can see who all the hard workers are.

I notice your images are in PNG (Portable Network Graphics) format and each graphic less than 4KB in file size. In your opinion, would you choose different formats for different types of images? Would you use PNG for a picture of a house or is JPG or GIF best for that? Interested in your thoughts on using the appropriate format to get the best result.

Recently, I created a PDF doc by scanning B&W (mainly text) images into GIF format but each file was at least 60KB. That's a big difference to 3 or 4 KB. I could reduce the file size but the image quality becomes fuzzier. Any suggestions on creating smaller PDFs in future. I believe there may exist software to compress PDFs but my problem was the original GIF file sizes.

Regards, Mike

Mike - for photos JPG is definitely the best choice - JPG is a lossy compression algorithm in that it achieves the small file sizes by "losing" some of the detail in the picture when it compresses. Photos can cope with this to a large extent, since there is so much information in a typical photo, you won't miss some of it.

Graphics like these charts are totally different. Anything with a lot of sharp edges will not be too happy with JPG compression (but it still could be done - it just might start to look silly). GIF and PNG are much better choices since both use lossless compression techniques.

This is why you will find a typical web page made of GIF images (although no reason they shouldn't use PNG).

PNG was designed to be the next-generation of graphic format from GIF. It was specifically designed with many features that make it easier to use for web pages and such.

Most importantly, PNG does not use any proprietary or patented compression algorithms, so (unlike GIF) is completely royalty free.

The compression built into PNG will often generate a 5-25% saving in file size over GIF - but this depends on the quality of the program you use to generate them.

For the average user, there is so little difference between them that they will probably stick to the GIF format that they know. For the purists amongst us, a royalty-free and technically more advanced format, is a better choice, especially since support for the PNG format is very wide spread now.

You can read more info on PNG at http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/

Scanning documents is a challenge. What you end up with is essentially a bitmap, which is the least efficient format for representing graphics - but that's only because of the nature of scanning. Some TIFF file compression can deal with scanned images really well - but there are so many problems with TIFF format (mostly incompatabilities between applications due to differing feature sets being implemented) - that I tend to steer clear of them.

GIF format is going to give similar results in general (depending on a lot of things), and JPG format would give you by far the smallest file size, but at the price of a severe loss of sharpness and detail. There's not much you can do about it for scanned documents really - other than scanning at high resolution and using OCR to convert it into real text.

By creating a PDF file with the GIFs in them you are actually compounding your problems, since PDF can do really well maintaining the formatting of text information from a word processor or similar, but for bitmap information (like a GIF), it must actually generate a platform independent representation of the graphic (not sure what format it uses or if it is a proprietary format). The PDF file also adds a lot of overhead from it's own file structure.

If you actually scanned A4 documents, I don't think 60kb is too bad for a file size - my files are only small compared to what you would typically generate from an A4 scan !

Thanks for that great reply, Sim. I obviously need to do some more homework on scanned documents. The scanner (Hewlett Packard) compression software does pickup 3 different image types in the scanned document ie B&W drawings, B&W or colour photographs and text BUT not when I select an area of the document which contains multiple image types. The book was smaller than A4 so I wanted to put a rectangle around the actual page to avoid including the unwanted bits. The compression software then wanted to make all the image formats the same within the selected area. In hindsight, I should have compressed the lot and then cropped the image using photoshop type software. At least that way the text bits would have been treated as text and not as a B&W photograph.

I'll keep experimenting. Thanks for the feedback.

Regards, Mike

Sim, you just created this thread to pump out the help and feedback posts didnt you :) :p

I notice I post the most in CE - thats suprising - maybe it was from all those dodgy sales ppl replies

Originally posted by geoffw
Kev,

If it's so good up there, why do you need winter pj's?

And you're a professional. You can do all this in your own time. But if you don't, well, it maybe perhaps almost be regarded as work activities.

Well, that would at least get you off the hook with MrsKH. I don't have that excuse :D

Winter pj's - think the thermostat on the waterbed isn't working.:D

I like your next point - tax deductible forum, I like it. Maybe I can even charge Sim for my time on here. ;)

Not so sure about getting off with good behaviour with Mrs KH though, but I'll run your thoughts past her and see how I go.

Have a great day Geoff. You play a huge part in making this forum the success it is. Congratulations mate.

Kev

I don't understand how I could have only made 13 posts in some of those forums...

I demand a recount! (and maybe a re-distrubution of threads)

Jas

What can one say????

I am shattered..........not even a mention...

better lift my game before I am sacked

regards

What can one say????

I am shattered..........not even a mention...

better lift my game before I am sacked

Dear Jakk,

Those in the know would ALWAYS make the time to listen to you and Michael Croft.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Back