Top Five Blue Chip Shares?

Hi all,

While I know that this is a property investment forum, i'm guessing many people also have share portfolios as well.

What five blue chip, high yeilding stocks would you have as part of a share portfolio? I'm thinking from the ASX Top 20 only.

Focus would be on stability, growth, and income.

Cheers
Al

Its very hard to give specific advice, especially since your enquiry is really narrow being the top 20. Also giving specific advice is fraught with danger, because if someone gives you advice, and it tanks, there could be repercussions on both sides.

FWIW, I hold:

ANZ, CBA, IAG, NAB, SUN, TLS, WBC, WES in the top 20.

All yield >5% on PP and are all 100% FF. Which is better than cash in the bank at present.

I think (my opinion only) more people are looking for better opportunities for their money than cash at the bank, and turning to shares or MF to squeeze a little bit more out of their savings.

pinkboy......getting rich slowly

The Top 20 is not fixed though, compare the top 20 in 2004 to the top 20 in 2014 and you may see some no longer in the list, whilst there has been movement in positioning of others (up or down the list).

Who knows who will be in there in 2024 alongside some of Australia's key companies

I love the way the term blue chip is thrown around these days. What does it actually mean, for you?

Talking about the top businesses in Australia and high yielding is at odds with each other. If a business was getting a good return on equity, they'd be doing exactly that. This leaves less available to push out to shareholders. Refer the best business in the world, Berkshire Hathaway who have never paid a dividend.

Hi all,

While I know that this is a property investment forum, i'm guessing many people also have share portfolios as well.

What five blue chip, high yeilding stocks would you have as part of a share portfolio? I'm thinking from the ASX Top 20 only.

Focus would be on stability, growth, and income.

Cheers
Al

Once you break the top 20 down into numbers and strip away all the finance quantitative economics that some carry not all would be in a aftertax-fully franked -divindend-%above 8%,so you would be looking in the top 50 to find the 8%plus range ,,and its very hard transferring equity prices between past and future prices because just because its always happened that way does not mean it going to happen in the future..

My opinion..
CBA
TLS
NAB
BOQ
ANZ..IMHO..
I have a small holding in each of the above..

I like TLS and hold 10 thous. Others I like but don't currently hold are CBA,BHP, NAB and KFC (I like KFC but not sure if they are listed:D).

We're currently holding

BHP
RIO
WBC
WES
WOW
COH
CSL
QBE

Which seems to be a good mix of the market. Some have gone up, some have gone down. Wish I'd bought CBA at $60 but my formula of averages said they were to expensive at the time. :eek:

I like TLS and hold 10 thous. Others I like but don't currently hold are CBA,BHP, NAB and KFC (I like KFC but not sure if they are listed:D).

You know what the funny thing is about that?

Collins Foods Ltd I believe and their ASX code is CKF - pretty close to KFC! :D

pinkboy

We bought CBA shares 5 or 6 years ago at $26 a share. We thought we were doing alright when they got to $60. Not sure if the current price is sustainable so I'm reluctant to buy any more at the moment.

We bought CBA shares 5 or 6 years ago at $26 a share. We thought we were doing alright when they got to $60. Not sure if the current price is sustainable so I'm reluctant to buy any more at the moment.

Do you know (or care) what the intrinsic value is?

All yield >5% on PP and are all 100% FF. Which is better than cash in the bank at present.

Hey pinkboy,

Would this also apply to an OS against a ppor re:better cash in the bank?

I'm just wondering if i should hedge my bets and spread the butter,if there is an upside?

Cheers Spades.

Give us your 'back of the envelope' calculation DT........ :cool:

pinkboy

Here's my rough equations:
HznnP9X.jpg

Let me know your thoughts. :)

If you think they may go down - sell, if you think they may go up further - buy :D:D

Last edited:
Give us your 'back of the envelope' calculation DT........ :cool:

pinkboy

Not sure if serious or sarcastic question since your strategy isnt based on IV's?

In any case, I have a spreadsheet at home that calculates all the IV's based on all the information parsed from google finance. I'll check it when i get home if ya want.

Back