Top Melbourne Suburbs

I would appreciate any guidance/comments/warnings on the following suburbs from anyone is living in Melbourne:

BROOKLYN
HEATHERTON
HUNTINGDALE
JACANA
MARIBYRNONG
NOTTING HILL
SEDDON
TOTTENHAM
WEST FOOTSCRAY
WILLIAMS LANDING
YARRAVILLE

Thanks!

Heatherton:
Middle of nowhere - not much in the way of public transport.
Great if you love to watch small aircraft - you'll get LOTS of them overhead. Be prepared to have a few land in your house.
Great place if you love landfills, Karting and Golfing too.
**Proviso: this view does not hold if you are looking for possible future development by buying up one or more of the 5-10 acre market gardens in the area

Huntingdale:
As good as Oakleigh minus the shops.
I still consider it "inner suburb".

Notting Hill:
Underrated.
Buses only - but not bad.
Walking ditance to Monash main Clayton campus
Light Industrial / Offices.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Last edited:
Yarraville: rapidly gentrifying inner western suburb. Excellent services - transport, restaurants, cinema, shops. A poor man's Williamstown, almost (although without the water). Still has some rough pockets, but top house prices hitting the $1m mark now.
West Footscray: vastly underrated, IMHO. Has most of what Yarraville has without the cachet - as well as room to breathe. Lots of streets with big blocks (500m2+), many of them now being subdivided. Some concern on streets along the railway line about prospective tunnel-freeway development.
Tottenham: I think that you are referring to an area that was rezoned some years ago and is now the part of West Footscray that is south of that railway line. Good services and decent sized blocks - but a bit more humble than West Footscray ''proper''. Technically, I think there are no houses in Tottenham proper now - the area is all industrial.
Maribyrnong: A mixed bag with many swanky new developments, some hideous stuff. Edgewater, a Delfin development being built around a manufactured lake that feeds of the Maribyrnong River, is probably the star area, although the older estate (Waterford Green?) is also v exe. Has a huge Defence land-holding that will be developed down the track into more houses. Oh, and trams and the shopping centre known locally as Knifepoint (Highpoint).

hope that helps. :D

Ooh. And Brooklyn. Has been appreciating rapidly. Anecdotal evidence says a lot of artisty types are moving into the area - big blocks, big houses, plenty of industry. No public transport except buses though. Very busy, not very nice - again IMHO:)

Back