Top Ten Capital Growth

purely pot luck - knowing what i was looking for and in a position to pounce.
came up as new listing on r/est.com - which i check at breakfast every morning. very out of town vendor - out of area agent. advertised for below market value. rang the second i saw it and booked appt to see the next day. had my practically full price written offer done up for when i went and submitted it there an then - only condition was site survey confirming that what was actually being visually offered was what was actually being sold. vendor accepted by lunchtime. vendor had two other higher offers later in the week, but decided to honour the one they had accepted (mine) - i'm really grateful - and the deal was done.
came down to being in a position with everything lined up (finance etc) and not being afraid to make bold decisions.

Yes, as you can see - lizzie was totally unprepared and this was "purely pot luck". Very funny lizzie :D

kind of luck because i had all the ducks in a row at the moment the property reared it's head.

often i see fantastic properties but personal aspects don't add up (finance etc), or i have the finance but can't find the right property and it starts to burn a hole in my property.

wow - fhb market in newcastle must be really hotting up as agents are now listing low cost properties as "soon to be on the market, register your interest".

New townhouse opposite me in Carnegie Vic, has had a 'soon to be offered for auction sign for a few weeks now. Saw today that they've refreshed the sign (must have been whilst they were putting up the new fence yesterday)

I have a popular street for sales it seems. About 3-4 on sale usually, and then most of those get 'For Lease' signs, and then a week later the Let sign. Have no idea what this all means but I expect sooner or later there will be nothing but renters in the street! lol

Yeh have been having a bit of a closer look at Orange (closer to home)

Seems like you can pick up a decent 3 bedder for 250 - 300 that will rent for about $250-$300 week.

The only problem is sounds like crime is a bit of a problem.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Areas to buy, areas to avoid?

Gunnedah at time of you writing this was selling for $100k renting for $100pw... Now those homes gone, but wouldnt pay the prices you refer to.

We have just settled on another property in Orange. Purchased for $303K and leased at $365pw with not a cent to spend. Perhaps not the greatest return but we are happy to landbank this property.

Double brick 20 year old home with huge rooms, four car garage, and the block of 1,800sqm backs onto a public reserve.

Orange has attracted lot of public and private investment and will continue to do for at least 5 years.

The second local public hospital will open towards the end of the year and the largest mental health wing in NSW should be ready at the same time.
There is a private hospital due to be built directly across in the next 2-3 years.

No mean feat with other hospitals in Bathurst and like closing down.

Newcrest has projected an additional minimum 40 year term at the Cadia, however, they will be building some accomodation for the miners onsite.

You have a new dental school opening up at the uni.

The agriculture continues to strengthen.

As to crime, I have flown up there regularly for work and I have not seen it nor do the stats support it.

For us, it is great area that has several strong industries supporting employment.

We have just settled on another property in Orange. Purchased for $303K and leased at $365pw with not a cent to spend. Perhaps not the greatest return but we are happy to landbank this property.

Double brick 20 year old home with huge rooms, four car garage, and the block of 1,800sqm backs onto a public reserve.

Orange has attracted lot of public and private investment and will continue to do for at least 5 years.

The second local public hospital will open towards the end of the year and the largest mental health wing in NSW should be ready at the same time.
There is a private hospital due to be built directly across in the next 2-3 years.

No mean feat with other hospitals in Bathurst and like closing down.

Newcrest has projected an additional minimum 40 year term at the Cadia, however, they will be building some accomodation for the miners onsite.

You have a new dental school opening up at the uni.

The agriculture continues to strengthen.

As to crime, I have flown up there regularly for work and I have not seen it nor do the stats support it.

For us, it is great area that has several strong industries supporting employment.

Hi chilliblue,

I've been watching Orange for a while now and really like everything about it. Very strong diversified economy and the Cadia mine is just the icing on the cake...with gold in such high demand on the world market I just can't see any negatives.

There also looks like there is some upwards movement in housing prices which is encouraging. I think you have picked a good strong performing market.

JT

Back