Torrens Title properties - regulations

Hi,

I have been trying to find information on the responsibilities of torrens title properties owners.

One of our properties is a villa in Sydney. It's torrens title -community title.
Our property is the first of 6 in the line of villas. Ours is the largest as well as it is located in a corner location. The only common things that our property shares with the rest of properties in the complex is a shared wall with one of the neighbours. So practically, our property is just like a semi. We have our own driveway and fences.

Last year one of the other properties had problem with water pipe underneath their property and everyone contributed to fix the problem.

Now, our property has a retaining wall on the front of the property, facing the streets. Our front yard is slightly elevated. According to the drawing plan, our property includes the front yard. Currently there are some trees growing on the front yard. One of the tree has roots that pushes the retaining walls. So the retaining walls (less than a metre and made of wood) need to be fixed.

My question is, I believe that it's the complex/strata responsibility to fix the wall. But one of the owner of the other villa said that it's our responsibility to fix it. Is there anyone who knows about strata's regulation? Or anyone could point me to a direction where I could find the answer to my question?

We pay levy quarterly, very small.

Thanking you all in advance.

A few things to consider:
The trees which are causing the damage are in who's garden area?
Is the fence is on common property or within your area on title?
Do you have the right to replace the fence with anything you want ie who controls this fence (similar issue to venetian blinds, external appearance of units etc)?

TT is the system used to guarantee the title of all land in the country. CT is a form of TT. Other forms under TT include strata, stratum and company.

Other forms of title include 'old system' and 'qualified title', both of which are inferior to TT.

Back